Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

21.00 Curfew

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The removal of the travel subsidy is being tested this season for the cup games. It will probably not exist in a couple of seasons time.
Then watch the station staff go out of their way to inspect every ticket to ensure that travellers are delayed.

Yesterday I travelled to Lewes after the game and when in Lewes, 1 minute's early, a chap tried to enter as the doors were shutting and the guard kept shouting move away, the traveller not a football fan kept shouting I want to get on, the guard continued shouting get away and eventually the train left 3 mins late. Had they let the persons on it would have left on time.

Last edited:

Remember that time when i'd flogged my season to the bloke next to me for the following game i couldn't make & ended up at Rottingdean without it...

A quick flash of my Eastie Eagles season got me home no worries...

What did you use again when in the same predicament ??

My black Lloyds bank card held together with the white side of a CoOp dividend card worked in an emergency (although B&H buses never did cough up my 02.3p dividend)

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
None at all as long as you have the valid ticket for the journey made, I couldn't give a toss what time you travel but the club made the deal with the transport companies so best take it up with them

We all know you work for the wankers, is it going to affect your bonus/wages in anyway? If you couldn't give a toss, why come on here defending Southern all of the time?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good job you don't live in the Northern Rail area then, if people obeyed the conditions of their tickets they wouldn't need inspectors out to enforce them. Just another case of people doing what they want and not realising that in the end the club will pay like they did in the first season when people didn't buy travel tickets.

It's not a day ticket to use when you want it is a travel ticket to and from the game, not if you decide to have a night out afterwards.

Still missing the point.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What difference does it make if someone travels at 2055 or 2105?

How much does the club and person pay for the ticket?

Is it discounted? Would Southern get an 15,000 (estimated) punters on a Tuesday night/Saturday day if the club ceased to exist?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
What difference does it make if someone travels at 2055 or 2105?

How much does the club and person pay for the ticket?

Is it discounted? Would Southern get an 15,000 (estimated) punters on a Tuesday night/Saturday day if the club ceased to exist?

Presumably the club does get a discount based on the cut off time of 9pm. This would be based on the fact that Southern don't have the cost of supplying and checking the tickets of thousands of fans travelling at roughly the same time which would mean taking on additional staff. After 9pm any 'stragglers' can be managed by the staff that would be on duty in any case so there is no need for them to offer travel tickets at a discount.

On that basis it would no doubt cost the club more to agree 'free' travel after 9pm.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
all this bitching just goes to show we should get rid of the travel scheme.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I don't understand what all the bitching and moaning is about. The travel is a privilege not a right, it's subsidized by the club, and the club and Southern make the rules between them. Put up, or put your own hand in your pocket to pay whatever couple of quid it is to get home if you want to go on the shant. Typical of societies something for nothing culture.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Good job you don't live in the Northern Rail area then, if people obeyed the conditions of their tickets they wouldn't need inspectors out to enforce them. Just another case of people doing what they want and not realising that in the end the club will pay like they did in the first season when people didn't buy travel tickets.

It's not a day ticket to use when you want it is a travel ticket to and from the game, not if you decide to have a night out afterwards.

It is a bit jobsworthy though isn't it?
If I buy a day return to London, I am not stopped from getting on a train home at Victoria that departs after midnight.
If I fall asleep and miss my stop, I've not had a ticket inspector ever force the extra fare out of me for travelling further than my ticket allows. So why get stroppy with the few who take a couple of beers in after the game and end up going home after 9?

No one is trying to take the piss, they have all paid for travel.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Travel is added to the cost of a season ticket, I can't choose to not pay for it. It really is not a gift from the club.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The Travel is added to the cost of a season ticket, I can't choose to not pay for it. It really is not a gift from the club.

But 1) You would have to pay full price, like most other clubs fans, to get there otherwise
2) It's subsidized, so you pay less anyway!!! I honestly can't see the issue?!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
But 1) You would have to pay full price, like most other clubs fans, to get there otherwise
2) It's subsidized, so you pay less anyway!!! I honestly can't see the issue?!

unless of course you travel by car and pay for a parking season ticket as well

saying that,its a subsidy for the majority of the fans so i dont begrudge paying twice,as long as its in the best interests of the club.As mentioned above by others i wouldnt be surprised if it disappears eventually

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
unless of course you travel by car and pay for a parking season ticket as well

saying that,its a subsidy for the majority of the fans so i dont begrudge paying twice,as long as its in the best interests of the club.As mentioned above by others i wouldnt be surprised if it disappears eventually

Just seems to me that the clubs damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. If it does offer a subsidy a proportion of fans will be all "Oh my god I have to pay twice" (not including you in this Pastafarian!), if they don't offer it then there will be people upset about it being withdrawn. What's the solution?!?!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
A bus driver once took my season ticket for the duration of my journey while he contacted Conway Street to see if he could accept it. That was at near enough closing time on a Saturday, and I could understand his suspicion given that the ticket is ostensibly for getting to and from the ground, rather than to and from the ground via a lengthy session, and I'd always hand over a couple of quid rather than have an argument. Does seem slightly like a chance for the sexually-frustrated to be jobsworthy, though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Just seems to me that the clubs damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. If it does offer a subsidy a proportion of fans will be all "Oh my god I have to pay twice" (not including you in this Pastafarian!), if they don't offer it then there will be people upset about it being withdrawn. What's the solution?!?!

If i knew the solution

1/ i would be chief executive
2/ there would be no travel moaning threads on NSC and the world would be a worse place

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Im not trying to defend southern here but either im going nuts or they have increased the matchday carraiges eastbound and brighton bound pre and post match what used to be 3/4 trains to seaford are now 8 cars thats for sure and im pretty sure they have upped the carraiges for the eastbourne to 12 as well , i guess nobody has moaned about that ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I got into an argument with a bus driver about this. Living in Bevendean the 48/49 are best busses to get home. One night after a game I got a 25 to Sainsbury's where I met my wife and son. I changed to the 49 for last leg.
On getting into the bus the driver point blank refused me entry with the season ticket card, saying I had not been to the game. The only reason he gave was that as I was pushing a pram. What followed was around 2 minute argument and at the end he reluctantly let me on, only after I advised I would put in a complaint to club and bus company against him, if he refused us all the journey. This was around 6:30PM.
Probably because they'd expect people to walk to Bevendean?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here