Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

21.00 Curfew

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I got into an argument with a bus driver about this. Living in Bevendean the 48/49 are best busses to get home. One night after a game I got a 25 to Sainsbury's where I met my wife and son. I changed to the 49 for last leg.
On getting into the bus the driver point blank refused me entry with the season ticket card, saying I had not been to the game. The only reason he gave was that as I was pushing a pram. What followed was around 2 minute argument and at the end he reluctantly let me on, only after I advised I would put in a complaint to club and bus company against him, if he refused us all the journey. This was around 6:30PM.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Personally didn't know about the 9 o clock rule anyway but is obviously now gonna be enforced . I would have thought the train company would be happier with everyone staggering their journey home as they cannot put enough carriages on to accommodate the fans who want to go straight home anyway. Do away with the travel subsidy, can you imagine the chaos that would cause

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I don't think the problem is with the hours, it's with the mock-hard faux-bouncers that Southern likes to employ.

Good job you don't live in the Northern Rail area then, if people obeyed the conditions of their tickets they wouldn't need inspectors out to enforce them. Just another case of people doing what they want and not realising that in the end the club will pay like they did in the first season when people didn't buy travel tickets.

It's not a day ticket to use when you want it is a travel ticket to and from the game, not if you decide to have a night out afterwards.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good job you don't live in the Northern Rail area then, if people obeyed the conditions of their tickets they wouldn't need inspectors out to enforce them. Just another case of people doing what they want and not realising that in the end the club will pay like they did in the first season when people didn't buy travel tickets.

It's not a day ticket to use when you want it is a travel ticket to and from the game, not if you decide to have a night out afterwards.

Ernest as you are the official spokesman on NSC for the railways......... What difference does it make whether you come home at 8 or 9 ?

D

Deleted User X18H

Do as I do . Argue the toss for 10 minutes INSIST they produce a copy of the 'conditions of carridge ' read it thoroughly 10 minutes or so, produce my annual railcard . Laugh and call them sunshine a lot .

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I can see both points.

I have to admit I didn't know about the validity time wise of the of the travel voucher, but thought it was only ever a problem on the bus. Times are poorly advertised and maybe if Southern want to enforce it (as is their right), then maybe they should put some posters up at Brighton station, or amend the fixtures one to include that information on it.

Meatheads trying to enforce it isn't helpful for anyone.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What is the problem. There are terms and conditions attached so you can't complain if they are observed by ticket inspectors. You wouldn't book a train from London to Manchester and get a price for a certain time and then expect to travel on whatever train you liked! And as someone said, if you have spent the evening out in Brighton then the cost of your travel home is little more than one more pint! If it is that important then go home earlier to enjoy the benefit. Otherwise stay out and pay up on the odd occasion that they enforce it!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Personally didn't know about the 9 o clock rule anyway but is obviously now gonna be enforced . I would have thought the train company would be happier with everyone staggering their journey home as they cannot put enough carriages on to accommodate the fans who want to go straight home anyway. Do away with the travel subsidy, can you imagine the chaos that would cause

The removal of the travel subsidy is being tested this season for the cup games. It will probably not exist in a couple of seasons time.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What is the problem. There are terms and conditions attached so you can't complain if they are observed by ticket inspectors. You wouldn't book a train from London to Manchester and get a price for a certain time and then expect to travel on whatever train you liked! And as someone said, if you have spent the evening out in Brighton then the cost of your travel home is little more than one more pint! If it is that important then go home earlier to enjoy the benefit. Otherwise stay out and pay up on the odd occasion that they enforce it!

Where were the terms & conditions made known? When we had paper tickets there was a start time, but not an end time.

Edit, I know it's on the club website now, but when was it changed?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You have stated twice it is for travel to and from the game. I do not think anyone is disputing this. But why should it matter how long you take to make the journey?

Further, you can not have a discussion about rail without me mention how it is better in Germany; Hertha BSC match day tickets include free travel up to 4am the next day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just a reminder those enjoying the fine taverns of Brighton post match. Your return rail/match ticket is only valid for travel up until 21.00. This was being stricrtly enforced last night by a 'gang' of no less than six ticket inspectors at Brighton who seemed to be gagging for a fight with anyone wearing a blue and white scarf. A**eholes.

Maybe this "gang" would be better deployed "strictly enforcing" the trains to run on time?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont stay in Brighton that late but as Ernest says it is a travel to and from the game not an evening after the game on the p..s what would it cost to have these time limits removed and why should the rail companies want to insist on it, the seat has been paid for. Next the club will be saying that you cannot take up your stadium seat more than an hour before kick off as you have paid to watch the match at 3.00pmf not 1.45

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do as I do . Argue the toss for 10 minutes INSIST they produce a copy of the 'conditions of carridge ' read it thoroughly 10 minutes or so, produce my annual railcard . Laugh and call them sunshine a lot .

That's 20 minutes of your life you will not get back. Did you score this as a victory to yourself?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
@%1;
You have stated twice it is for travel to and from the game. I do not think anyone is disputing this. But why should it matter how long you take to make the journey?

Further, you can not have a discussion about rail without me mention how it is better in Germany; Hertha BSC match day tickets include free travel up to 4am the next day.

Yeah well those Germans know how to drink after a game........ 9pm ....pah

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
None at all as long as you have the valid ticket for the journey made, I couldn't give a toss what time you travel but the club made the deal with the transport companies so best take it up with them

Valid ticket...valid ticket... Valid ticket...... Valid ticket.....resistance is useless.....

You are a Vogon guard aren't you ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here