Your FAVOURITE ALBUM by a female?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Great call. Can't name a favourite but a few that I adore are:

Carole King - Tapestry
Michelle Shocked - Short, Sharp, Shocked
Beth Orton - Trailer Park

And anything by Hafdis Huld, Emiliana Torrini or Bjork. The Icelandics do it for me every time.

post #24 when Carole King turned up ................ Shame on you NSC

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Carole King's - Tapestry

Anyone who disagrees with this is:

1) wrong
2) a massive fan of Joni Mitchell
3) Big on Bjork
4) Crazy for Kate Bush
5) On an Aimee Mann- athon
6) PJ HARVEY O'Clocking
7) Got some Linda Ronstadt issues
8) Up to speed with her Dolly Parton
9) Knows 'Nina Plays Piano'
10) Loves a bit of Bush
11) Has heard Asha Bosle
12) Is independently minded

post #24 when Carole King turned up ................ Shame on you NSC

Either Pearl or Tapestry or perhaps Suicide Sal

A clue in post #6 though maybe.
Another vote here for Sandy Denny's North Star Grassman and the Ravens, and I've always liked Songs from the Acid Folk by Sonja Kristina.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Central Reservation - Beth Orton

BAck to Black - Amy Winehouse

Last edited:

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Lisa Stansfield-The Complete Collection
Joyce Sims- Come in to My Life
Sade- Diamond Life
Anita Baker- Sweet Love
Donna Summer- The Journey

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The number of nominations for Amy Winehouse just confirms to me what a tragic waste of a unique talent all that was.

I loved Amy but I don't you can call any of her albums great. Each had a few make weights.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The number of nominations for Amy Winehouse just confirms to me what a tragic waste of a unique talent all that was.

She joins Kurt Kobain, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin in the list of talents that probably never reached their full potential due to their excesses. All part of rock 'n roll unfortunately.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
She joins Kurt Kobain, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin in the list of talents that probably never reached their full potential due to their excesses. All part of rock 'n roll unfortunately.

A personal thing, but for me she doesn't belong on that list at all. I disliked her voice - I wouldn't have called her talented at all, a wasted life certainly, but there you go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A personal thing, but for me she doesn't belong on that list at all. I disliked her voice - I wouldn't have called her talented at all, a wasted life certainly, but there you go.

You are in a minority here I think but music is so personal I thought she was a great talent. There is a youtube of her performing a concert somewhere in a village church or suchlike in a small town in Ireland and she was just amazing....imo.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm another who far prefers Frank when it comes to Amy Winehouse. It's a sublime, brilliant album, soulful, jazzy yet totally in yer face.

If just having a female singer is enough then Fox Base Alpha by St Etienne and Someone to Drive you Home by The Long Blondes are in my all time top 10.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm another who far prefers Frank when it comes to Amy Winehouse. It's a sublime, brilliant album, soulful, jazzy yet totally in yer face.

If just having a female singer is enough then Fox Base Alpha by St Etienne and Someone to Drive you Home by The Long Blondes are in my all time top 10.

Pete Wiggs of St.Etienne is half of this rather good Radio Reverb show.

http://www.mixcloud.com/jamespapademetrie/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here