Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you live on a flood plain = You're going to get flooded

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Exactly the same argument can be made about noise and living near an airport. Doesn't mean to say that steps can't and shouldn't be made to mitigate the effects.

We live in the flood plain of the River Mole that runs along the bottom of our garden - we have lived here for over 35 years and the house has never been flooded although the garden has been totally waterlogged on a number of occasions.

We have noticed over the last few years that the water level has risen, often just for a short period, following heavy rain far more than it used to - we have put this down to two main causes - the river no longer seems to be cleared of debris by the River Authority, as it used to be, added to which there have been thousands of houses, (part of the Surrey Plan), built on the flood plain on the other side of the river. These houses are protected by 'flood defenses' but of course this means the amount of land that can be flooded has been reduced making it far worse for the remaining land.

In my opinion flood defenses, (i.e. barriers and water diversion) are not the answer and ultimately it has to come down to making sure that the natural water courses and drainage channels are kept as clear as possible to allow the water to drain out to the sea.

The bottom of the garden a few weeks ago - you can just see the roofs of the new houses in the background.

View attachment 51064

My ghast is utterly flabbered!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Whatever the cause judging from the news reports this morning some of these folks are having a hellish time. They have been advised not to flush their toilets and not to use toilet roll.

I live near the lower Thames and took a stroll down to the river at the weekend. You cannot tell where the path used to be anymore, river runs straight onto the playing fields now. Honestly, if you hadn't been there before you would think it was just a lake with some bizarrely placed goal posts. Gulls have taken up residence there too and having a field day. Luckily there are no houses built that close to the river but apparently nearby Shepperton is in trouble.

May 17, 2011
1066 country
Probably not but I'd make an educated guess that the majority of the land flooded is farmland.

I don't think the farmland being flooded was the problem here, obviously the farmers would have moved the livestock to higher ground until the water subsides as they do year after year as they know their land. The problem is people building/living on flood plains surely.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Rest assured that More Will Be Done now that the affluent villages of the Berkshire/Surrey stockbroker/celebrity belt are being inundated with water.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Rest assured that More Will Be Done now that the affluent villages of the Berkshire/Surrey stockbroker/celebrity belt are being inundated with water.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Things have become so bad, the lovely Debbie McGee can't even get to Waitrose.

Somebody call Bob Geldof.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm sure more will be done now the Home Counties are flooding, including my village. Not necessarily because of the cynical argument but because it adds 100times as many people to the crisis compared to West Country. This is the densest most affluent part of Europe after all. It cannot be ignored. The Home Secretary is literally being affected now.

Still, never seen it this bad. And trains on reading line are screwed tonight out London. It's an interesting behaviour watch. The sheer volumes of people trying to cram on is causing a breakdown in social order! Rows and heated exchanges, cries of pain coming from down the carriage and first 2 stops on my train as people try to board and get off. It's ridiculous, people behave like f ucking idiots in a disaster. All about themselves. I just got lucky when the doors opened where I was on the platform and got a seat too. But the crush from behind nearly squashed me and I'm not exactly little!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Exactly the same argument can be made about noise and living near an airport. Doesn't mean to say that steps can't and shouldn't be made to mitigate the effects.

We live in the flood plain of the River Mole that runs along the bottom of our garden - we have lived here for over 35 years and the house has never been flooded although the garden has been totally waterlogged on a number of occasions.

We have noticed over the last few years that the water level has risen, often just for a short period, following heavy rain far more than it used to - we have put this down to two main causes - the river no longer seems to be cleared of debris by the River Authority, as it used to be, added to which there have been thousands of houses, (part of the Surrey Plan), built on the flood plain on the other side of the river. These houses are protected by 'flood defenses' but of course this means the amount of land that can be flooded has been reduced making it far worse for the remaining land.

In my opinion flood defenses, (i.e. barriers and water diversion) are not the answer and ultimately it has to come down to making sure that the natural water courses and drainage channels are kept as clear as possible to allow the water to drain out to the sea.

The bottom of the garden a few weeks ago - you can just see the roofs of the new houses in the background.

View attachment 51064

And that's only the BOTTOM of the garden?? how big is the Top part?? that sure is a slightly bigger than average garden! :)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Sick and tired of the whinging on the news now, people with houses on the banks of the rivers complaining they're getting flooded. These things happen, it's a 1 in 100 flooding event you can't defend against them.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Everyone who could do, should have at least one 80 gallon water butt for a start. I'm not suggesting that is going to fix the problem, but it might make a dent. My parents have 240 gallons of water waiting for the dry months. Tempting to invest in some more butts at this rate.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm sure more will be done now the Home Counties are flooding, including my village. Not necessarily because of the cynical argument but because it adds 100times as many people to the crisis compared to West Country. This is the densest most affluent part of Europe after all. It cannot be ignored. The Home Secretary is literally being affected now.

one of the facts about the Somerset flooding that i read and appears overlooked was that its affecting 1500 homes. so what, 5000 people? thats crappy for them, but a tiny proportion of a country this size. more people where affected by the flooding in... well just about every flood that occurs somewhere in these isles every other year. Glouster, Cockermouth, Abingdon, Hull and many more have been flooded out in recent years. so i will expect far more responce as denser populated Thames valley is impacted.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sick and tired of the whinging on the news now, people with houses on the banks of the rivers complaining they're getting flooded. These things happen, it's a 1 in 100 flooding event you can't defend against them.

Some woman on the news demanding David Cameron come straight down in his waders and start helping out.

What the bloody hell does she expect him to do, exactly?

She also wants the army. I presume they're trained in preventing it raining.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Why is this so hard to understand?

It's not the government or Environment agency fault.

The fact that rainfall has topped all records held and that people having lived in an area for over 40 years have not experienced flooding before does indicate that flooding could hardly have been anticipated,as you appear to have special powers maybe you would inform us of any disasters in the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here