Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Comedy World Cup 2014 - The Groups!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
ScreenShot021.jpg

Welcome one and all to the 2014 UK Comedy World Cup. Following on from a FANTASTIC World's Hardest Creature (congratulations to the Mantis Shrimp, a phenomenal effort in it's first tournament!) this has a lot to live up to.

The inaugural tournament has been set to only include UK (& Eire) based sitcoms. The inclusion of Minder may cause controversy. Surprise exclusions include Dad's Army and Open All Hours.

The tournament will follow standard WC rules, 8 groups of 4, top 2 from each group go into a last 16, then quarters, semis and final.

Without further ado, here are the groups:

Group A

The Young Ones
Spaced
The Thick Of It
Ever Decreasing Circles

Group B

Fawlty Towers
Black Books
Green Wing
Lead Balloon

Group C

I'm Alan Partridge
Men Behaving Badly
The Mighty Boosh
Life's Too Short

Group D

Blackadder
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights
Miranda
The Good Life

Group E

Father Ted
The Royle Family
Minder
Yes, Minster/Prime Minister

Group F

Only Fools & Horses
Red Dwarf
Extras
Gavin & Stacey

Group G

The Office
One Foot In The Grave
Bottom
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Group H

Porridge
Peep Show
The Inbetweeners
The League of Gentlemen

Couple of fantastic groups there. Group H is a cracker, and I'm sure Inbetweeners fans will be very disappointed to see their show have to face it's older (ahem, better) brother in Peep Show, and anyone could nab a spot in the last 16 from Group F.

Will crack on with the group rounds from the start of next week.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Group F looks gash.

OFAH - long outstayed it's welcome
Red Dwarf - ruined by 2 utterly **** series
Extras - should sail through
Gavin & Stacey - I thought the idea of a comedy world cup was that participants were supposed to be FUNNY? ???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Group F looks gash.

Gavin & Stacey - I thought the idea of a comedy world cup was that participants were supposed to be FUNNY? ???

I could see it being VERY close for 2nd. OFAH will storm into first. All the other 3 have their fans. Personally I'd vote Extras but I reckon it'll be close...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ha, ha - FAIL.

You've got Miranda in there, and this is a Comedy World Cup.

HAD to be in for controversy purposes. The awful program that it is.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Group F looks gash.

Agree with all of this. However, don't let the fact that it outstayed its welcome detract from the fact that OFAH has provided some of the funniest comedic momemts EVER. IMHO, like.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ha, ha - FAIL.

You've got Miranda in there, and this is a Comedy World Cup.

It's only a temporary aberration, Miranda will be destroyed by Blackadder and Phoenix Nights.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's only a temporary aberration, Miranda will be destroyed by Blackadder and Phoenix Nights.

Imagine if it snuck through in 2nd though? Might we find some new NSC accounts being created? [MENTION=19588]mira[/MENTION]ndalover @suchfun

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Imagine if it snuck through in 2nd though? Might we find some new NSC accounts being created? [MENTION=19588]mira[/MENTION]ndalover @suchfun

[MENTION=15644]moose[/MENTION]shagger ?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Would be interesting to see what the bookies make of this. I fancy a cheecky each way bet on Spaced.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Is the competition going to be starting today? Obviously we'll need some kind of multi-million pound opening ceremony first.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I can pick my top 2 in every group......But group G is a NIGHTMARE. I FEAR Garth won't get through but I couldn't possibly be angry at One Foot for (probably) beating it.

What a tough one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is the competition going to be starting today? Obviously we'll need some kind of multi-million pound opening ceremony first.

Nah start of next week.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm shocked and appalled at the absence of The IT Crowd while Miranda made it in

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here