Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

would Scotland becoming independent be good? for them, rest of UK?

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
The question has been agreed........."should Scotland be an independent country?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13326310

If you want a loaded question, the one proposed for the now defunct 2017 EU referendum was going to be along the lines of "do you want the UK to be a member of the EU".

Given the issue for the UK is equally about independence in a political union framework, surely the electorate should have been faced with the same option as the Scots have got, namely.........."should the UK be an independent country?".

The mind truly boggles doesn't it.............
I stand correted. I was told of the loaded question a few months ago by an MSP, maybe it was one being mooted. I am glad that it will be a much simpler question.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Hopefully we wouldn't get the tedious updates and final scores on BBC TV and Radio, that Celtic have just beaten teams like St.Johnstone or Kilmarnock (who really are on a tiny fraction of their budget), with a biased Roddy Rosyth excited that Samaras has just scored with a header. Zzzzzzzzzz

Surely with independence, politically correct BBC in being yawningly fair to all corners of the UK, would drop coverage of Scottish club football?

In similar vein, I'd guess 20% of the BBC national weather forecast is focused on Scotland where 3% [guess] of the UK population live. How many of us give a flying f uck that the Shetlands will have snow and the Highlands will have storm-force winds.

Probably more jocks living outside of Scotland than still living in Scotland - let 'em go - there grass is greener [according to most of them].

All I would say is, of all the countries in the world where we have given back independence, there aren't many who are now better off than we are.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Salmond a few years back painted the picture of an independent Scotland thriving like Iceland, Ireland and Portugal. For obvious reasons, he's not mentioned that one for approximately 6 years.

A man of as much rhetoric and cant as our worst ever PM Mr Tony Blurr. Salmond is the archetypal soundbite politician, the thing is more and more people up here are realising that. As for his number two, Ms Sturgeon, the classic 'She Devil' and would frighten any child in their late teens! Scary!
And theor economic policy? They haven't got one, they are bereft. 800 or so pages of waffle in their paper issued last Autumn.

All the money that is wasted on the excesses of regional government and the pilot scheme which is Holyrood could have been spent on economic regeneration. Alas people think that civil service excesses supporting hot air politicians is a better way to spend our taxpaying money.

Independence just won't happen in our lifetime. Thank Gawd!

TNBA

TTF

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
A man of as much rhetoric and cant as our worst ever PM Mr Tony Blurr. Salmond is the archetypal soundbite politician, the thing is more and more people up here are realising that. As for his number two, Ms Sturgeon, the classic 'She Devil' and would frighten any child in their late teens! Scary!
And theor economic policy? They haven't got one, they are bereft. 800 or so pages of waffle in their paper issued last Autumn.

All the money that is wasted on the excesses of regional government and the pilot scheme which is Holyrood could have been spent on economic regeneration. Alas people think that civil service excesses supporting hot air politicians is a better way to spend our taxpaying money.

Independence just won't happen in our lifetime. Thank Gawd!

TNBA

TTF

I see you are in Glasgow. Nice to hear you say that Glaswegians are also seeing through Salmond, I was expecting Glasgow to be a yes vote, and possibly swaying it.
Agree about Sturgeon, worse than Harriet Harman.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
One stat that caught my eye was that the vast majority of the tens of thousands of civil servants based in Scotland are concerned with UK rather than purely Scottish matters. Given that Scotland is only a small element of the UK and given that no government in the world has ever had huge numbers of its staff working in a foreign country, the UK would presumably transfer most of these jobs out of Scotland as soon as possible.

Great. Thousands of Ginger civil servants fleeing southwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here