Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The club's initial view was that they wouldn't back SS at the Amex because of egress issues, and considerable expense at installing the standing area, with no increase in capacity, and therefore revenue.

They were unclear in publicly back it as a general concept across the country at first, but with the BBC report stating that all 72 FL clubs are to lobby the government on this issue, it appears that the club does back the principle.

Whether it happens at the Amex or not is another issue. So far I haven't heard anything from the club that has countermanded their original position on this.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes but i am saying why can't our existing seats be modified with a safety rail.

The comfy seats are too plush , a modified rail also introduces R&D costs , health and safety issues , it could end up being several times more expensive going bespoke than ripping out the existing seats and putting in a tried and tested design with plastic seats.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Pleased to see that whilst Barber et al may not be too keen on the idea they weren't silly enough to vote against it. This totally unanimous vote has to put pressure on the relevant authorities to get something done.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Attachments

• safe standing.jpg
    safe standing.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 148

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Pleased to see that whilst Barber et al may not be too keen on the idea they weren't silly enough to vote against it. This totally unanimous vote has to put pressure on the relevant authorities to get something done.

I thought 70% were in favour, so not unanimous?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I thought 70% were in favour, so not unanimous?

Hmm, reading it again it does say 'most' and not 'all' so I suppose there's still some room for a :facepalm: from the club.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The comfy seats are too plush , a modified rail also introduces R&D costs , health and safety issues , it could end up being several times more expensive going bespoke than ripping out the existing seats and putting in a tried and tested design with plastic seats.

Health and safety and costing more i'm not so sure its just basically a safety rail covering the seat's, I don't think Bloom would be happy with ripping out his seats but he might come around by putting a safety rail along the front of seats if approved.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
No, your wrong, it allows 1 1/2 to 2 times as many people in the same area (provided the concourse, exits, etc. are suitable).

I understood the Safe Standing Lobby have indicated it would be on a like for like basis as current seats. But if this is wrong as you indicate, I would be interested to see where it states it would allow additional people in??

Barber stated quite categorically in the meeting that one of the club's opposition to Safe Standing was that it would bring no extra revenue (in line with the safe standing proposals) and having only just installed perfectly safe and adequate seating, there was no incentive.

Dec 29, 2011
Sadly you're wrong, becuase safe standing doesn't get that many more people into an area, but the cost reduction would be greater it would only reduce income for a club where they are achieving their capcity week in week out. It would have to be new additional punters for it to pay dividends for the club.

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-case-for-safe-standing/case-for-3

"Some German grounds work on a ratio of 2 standing fans per seating space, thus increasing revenue still further."

The exact details would determine how many people could fit in the space. In Germany some clubs have a 1.4:1 ratio (according to wikipedia) while some have up to 1.8:1 (according to the above source). Also, what are these cost reductions you talk of? Your whole post is pretty hard to follow, not a dig, just wondering if you could reword it so I could understand you (for example you talk about cost reductions, do you mean profit reductions?).

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-case-for-safe-standing/case-for-3

"Some German grounds work on a ratio of 2 standing fans per seating space, thus increasing revenue still further."

The exact details would determine how many people could fit in the space. In Germany some clubs have a 1.4:1 ratio (according to wikipedia) while some have up to 1.8:1 (according to the above source). Also, what are these cost reductions you talk of? Your whole post is pretty hard to follow, not a dig, just wondering if you could reword it so I could understand you (for example you talk about cost reductions, do you mean profit reductions?).

I don't think anybody is saying that you can't fit more people in standing up than sitting down - Archibald Leitch always worked on 1.5:1 ratio, so that figure is long established - its just that you might not necessarily be allowed to do so, don't forget that the safety rules for stadiums in Germany may well be different from those in this country. Also modern stadia like the Amex were specifically designed for seating and have concourses and exits designed around what is safe for that configuration - they weren't designed for a larger capacity for a particular section of stand on the off-chance that standing might be allowed 'cos it'd be a waste of money to do so.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
How does this allow more people to attend in the same space? http://www.fsf.org.uk/

A good link from Giraffe, also for the safe standing facts see here: http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/safe-standing-facts/

Yesterday was a huge day for the campaign and next Thursday will be another important milestone. The Premier League is another frontier which the campaign is getting an increasingly number of positive vibes from, not least from the new Man Utd Chief Exec.

With the overwhelming supporter backing (across various online polls this averages 90% in favour) now being matched by the Clubs it's only a matter of time before the first trial is allowed. Celtic are probably closer than anyone in the UK at the moment: http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/safety-first-as-celtic-prepare-to-take-a-stand.23257583

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The BBC has changed its text from 'unanimously agreed' to 'most agreed'.

At previous FL meetings, there was one lone voice in the Championship against the principle of safe standing - Middlesbrough's.

I posted a link on this very thread some hours ago which detailed it wasn't all...

"The league revealed the findings of the survey at its clubs’ meeting in Derby, with around 70 per cent of those who responded backing chief executive Shaun Harvey to begin lobbying Sports Minister Helen Grant, something he vowed to do."

Jan 30, 2008
The club's initial view was that they wouldn't back SS at the Amex because of egress issues, and considerable expense at installing the standing area, with no increase in capacity, and therefore revenue.

They were unclear in publicly back it as a general concept across the country at first, but with the BBC report stating that all 72 FL clubs are to lobby the government on this issue, it appears that the club does back the principle.

Whether it happens at the Amex or not is another issue. So far I haven't heard anything from the club that has countermanded their original position on this.
, when push comes to shove so to speak :) they'll fall in line ???
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here