Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Characterize / stereotype the AMEX support, stand by stand.

Jan 30, 2008
i've tried every stand now, and by far the worst support comes from the esu. I sat there for the forest game this season, and as we capitulated early in the second half all i remember is that nobody seemed to care. We went from 1-0 to 1-3 in 15 minutes and i'm not even convinced everyone actually knew what was going on. There i was, going mental at greer for being a useless jocko chump, and most people around me were more interested in chatting to their mates, asking their kids to behave or simply gazing into think air with no expression on their face whatsoever. Even in wsl where my season ticket is, an area i admit is rather sedate, conceding three goals in 15 minutes would be met by a far more energetic and passionate response.
makes you wonder why they turn up :shrug:
regards
DR

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
ESU are the best seats in the stadium for that reason. I started in the ESL and moved to the "Upper Library" when it opened. I had always decided that to face our magnificent west stand was the place to be. I stood on the East terrace at the Goldstone so I suppose I am an East side boy through and through!!

Yep it also has the view of the tunnel, bench and manager.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've tried every stand now, and by far the worst support comes from the ESU. I sat there for the Forest game this season, and as we capitulated early in the second half all I remember is that nobody seemed to care. We went from 1-0 to 1-3 in 15 minutes and I'm not even convinced everyone actually knew what was going on. There I was, going mental at Greer for being a useless jocko chump, and most people around me were more interested in chatting to their mates, asking their kids to behave or simply gazing into thin air with no expression on their face whatsoever. Even in WSL where my season ticket is, an area I admit is rather sedate, conceding three goals in 15 minutes would be met by a far more energetic and passionate response.

It sounds as if you were more interested in the people around you than the match.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I've tried every stand now, and by far the worst support comes from the ESU. I sat there for the Forest game this season, and as we capitulated early in the second half all I remember is that nobody seemed to care. We went from 1-0 to 1-3 in 15 minutes and I'm not even convinced everyone actually knew what was going on. There I was, going mental at Greer for being a useless jocko chump, and most people around me were more interested in chatting to their mates, asking their kids to behave or simply gazing into thin air with no expression on their face whatsoever. Even in WSL where my season ticket is, an area I admit is rather sedate, conceding three goals in 15 minutes would be met by a far more energetic and passionate response.

So your opinion of all of the 2,500 fans who sit in the ESU is based on one game? You must have been moving around that stand for most of the 90 minutes to get a true perspective of all the fans reactions to the game?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
since the start at the AMEX South end of West Lower has had a mix of the old skool lads, some families, some young lads who make the effort and some oddballs. having sat in other areas it definitely has a higher percentage of blokes.

will the South/South West be where it's at next season....

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010

As a WSL STH I'd have to agree with you there - I distinctly remember shaking my head and muttering under my breath several times that game!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

If I remember correctly the whole ground went into depression during that match and was 30% empty with 10 minutes to go! Your observation is not just ESU specific. :)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is possible to watch the match and be aware of what is going on around you. It's quite easy really. Just wait for the first time the referee makes a debatable decision against the Albion, jump up and shout about it as you normally would, and when nobody within ten rows of you joins in you know you're surrounded by the part-timers. I've no problem with that, they pay their money and it's just as valuable as anyone else's. And it's a shame because the ESU has a fantastic view that I would be happy to have for my season ticket, but I couldn't possibly sit amongst hundreds of people who don't really care what's going on on the pitch.

On the other hand, I've been in the WSU two or three times, and while I find the view is a bit too high, at least you can be sure the people up there are engrossed in the game and reacting to it.

Fair enough.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
It is possible to watch the match and be aware of what is going on around you. It's quite easy really. Just wait for the first time the referee makes a debatable decision against the Albion, jump up and shout about it as you normally would, and when nobody within ten rows of you joins in you know you're surrounded by the part-timers. I've no problem with that, they pay their money and it's just as valuable as anyone else's. And it's a shame because the ESU has a fantastic view that I would be happy to have for my season ticket, but I couldn't possibly sit amongst hundreds of people who don't really care what's going on on the pitch.

On the other hand, I've been in the WSU two or three times, and while I find the view is a bit too high, at least you can be sure the people up there are engrossed in the game and reacting to it.

I don't recognise your description of the ESU to be honest. All the people around me shout at the ref , cheer, moan etc. etc. I think maybe it is the fact that it is the best view in the stadium (which you alluded to in your post) that slightly annoys those stuck high up in the WSU??

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
I emphasise that these are not necessarily my opinions, but stereotypes:

West Middle - Estate Agents

I have estate agents either side of me and yes West Middle

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
It's a much better view than the WSU, I fully agree with that. I sat in the front row of WSU for the Reading cup game a few weeks ago and even that is too high to be considered a good view. Because the ESU is the second tier rather than the third, the view is a lot, lot better and probably the best in the stadium. You get the aerial vantage that allows you to notice the tactical side, but you're close enough to still feel as though you are close to the action. You've only got to look across the pitch to see it's exactly the same view as those in the 1901 club pay £1,500 a season for, so of course it is fantastic. If I'd been more impressed with the crowd up there I'd be moving my season ticket to there this summer.

I find the crowd up in the ESU do react to stuff going on in the game (well the ones near me) but must admit that the early leavers piss me off no end....then again I see people leaving early in all parts of the ground. This isn't just an Amex thing though - see it happen in most premiership games on the telly. I think the main problem with all stadiums is the fact they are all seater - that instantly makes it harder.

Still these are nice worries compared to the dark days of the past!!

Up the Albion!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

That's bollox. After the north the WSU is the most vocal. Plenty don't join in but plenty do compared to the east and the south( which lets face is is mostly empty)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here