Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ken Barlow's Jury Out

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I have no idea what makes someone think this. The CPS thought there was enough evidence to bring a prosecution, a jury will decide his guilt or innocence. What system would you prefer?

Surely they could be Waterboarded or worse until they confess. If they did it justice is served.....if they are innocent it's still not as bad as Bambi's Mum dying.:down:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Christ on a bike, there are some painful attitudes on here.

To whoever suggested a time limit for victims to come forward: what if your daughter (or son) came up to you aged 30 and told you your next door neighbour had repeatedly sexually abused them when they were ten? Would you be happy to tell them to forget it? What if your next door neighbour had been a celebrity- would you tell them to forget about it because the perpetrator was famous? I think not.

To suggest that, because an accused is found not guilty, that the aggrieved party must be making it up, is akin to saying that if a player who goes down in the penalty box didn't dive, then it must be a penalty. It's simply not true.

Sometimes (quite a lot, unfortunately, when it comes to sexual offences, due to the nature of the offence) juries don't feel they have enough to convict someone, but that doesn't mean they didn't do it. I would bet my life savings on one thing here, chaps: there are far, FAR more unconvicted abusers, rapists and assorted other offenders out there walking around than there innocent men who've been falsely accused.

If one random woman comes up to the police and says she was attacked by Celebrity X, the CPS won't prosecute without other evidence. If several, completely unconnected, women contact them, and give remarkably similar accounts, independently of each other, wouldn't that tend to suggest that there may be some truth in it? That's how these cases are coming to court.

There's a lot of people on here passing judgement with seemingly very little knowledge of the justice system, or, indeed, the way in which sexual abuse affects victims for many years afterwards. I've met plenty, and I can tell you it's frequently a traumatic experience for them even to come forward and speak about it, let alone contemplate standing in a court and having a celebrity's expensive barrister ask them "Is it not true you were flattered by my client's attentions [aged thirteen]?".

Jeez.

Spot on.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Now his smug face and vile thoughts on women will be all over tv for a few days and in the weekend papers. Should boost his retirement fund.

Guilty or Not there is something about the man I dislike.

Agree with this. If (genuinely) not guilty then I feel for all that he has been through with this trial

However, there is just something about him that I have never liked (not saying he is evil, or anything, just that I don't like him)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've always felt that people shouldn't be named until they're proven guilty, but someone pointed out to me that victims are often afraid to come forward, and naming someone gives other victims the impetus to come forward. It's a fair point.

To be proven to have made it up, presumably they'd have to be tried. I don't like the idea of taking rape victims to court.

If it can be proven that an accuser actually lied and she (or he) then they aren't a victim, everything turns on it's head and the accused is now the victim, the victim is now the accused and she/he deserves to be prosecuted.
Thankfully such scenarios are rare but they do happen and the effect on the alleged rapist (who turns out to be completely innocent) can be devastating.
I've seen a case where a woman was having a drunken row with her partner and she rang the police and said he punched her. He was arrested, charged and bailed on the condition that he had no contact with her or his children. When it came to court, some months later, she went in the witness box and said "I made it all up, I expected the police to come round and just tell him to shut up"
I've no idea what happened to her but I understand that the 5-0 "wanted a word"

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Even though he's not guilty I will always think of Bill Roach as The Coronation Street Rapist.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Even though he's not guilty I will always think of Bill Roach as The Coronation Street Rapist.

Why? because of press headlines? Your stance is indicative of all those that are 'led' by media speculation. The man was found not guilty by society and the judiciary and you actually publish a post that could be legally questioned. Jeez.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Why? because of press headlines? Your stance is indicative of all those that are 'led' by media speculation. The man was found not guilty by society and the judiciary and you actually publish a post that could be legally questioned. Jeez.

Could be legally questioned? Hopefuly not by you as your knowledge of legality seems pretty piss poor. Like I say, I like to think of him as The Coronation Street Rapist. I will always have that and no-one can take that away from me. :sheep:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Could be legally questioned? Hopefuly not by you as your knowledge of legality seems pretty piss poor. Like I say, I like to think of him as The Coronation Street Rapist. I will always have that and no-one can take that away from me. :sheep:

My legal knowledge piss poor huh? Profanity in a disagreement too, your surpassing yourself. Figures!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My legal knowledge piss poor huh? Profanity in a disagreement too, your surpassing yourself. Figures!

You tell me what I wrote in my original post that could be legally questioned. I would love for you to tell me what it is you think you know.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Christ on a bike, there are some painful attitudes on here.

To whoever suggested a time limit for victims to come forward: what if your daughter (or son) came up to you aged 30 and told you your next door neighbour had repeatedly sexually abused them when they were ten? Would you be happy to tell them to forget it? What if your next door neighbour had been a celebrity- would you tell them to forget about it because the perpetrator was famous? I think not.

To suggest that, because an accused is found not guilty, that the aggrieved party must be making it up, is akin to saying that if a player who goes down in the penalty box didn't dive, then it must be a penalty. It's simply not true.

Sometimes (quite a lot, unfortunately, when it comes to sexual offences, due to the nature of the offence) juries don't feel they have enough to convict someone, but that doesn't mean they didn't do it. I would bet my life savings on one thing here, chaps: there are far, FAR more unconvicted abusers, rapists and assorted other offenders out there walking around than there innocent men who've been falsely accused.

If one random woman comes up to the police and says she was attacked by Celebrity X, the CPS won't prosecute without other evidence. If several, completely unconnected, women contact them, and give remarkably similar accounts, independently of each other, wouldn't that tend to suggest that there may be some truth in it? That's how these cases are coming to court.

There's a lot of people on here passing judgement with seemingly very little knowledge of the justice system, or, indeed, the way in which sexual abuse affects victims for many years afterwards. I've met plenty, and I can tell you it's frequently a traumatic experience for them even to come forward and speak about it, let alone contemplate standing in a court and having a celebrity's expensive barrister ask them "Is it not true you were flattered by my client's attentions [aged thirteen]?".

Jeez.

Brilliant, as always !

Dec 16, 2010
Over there

And whenever I see your user name I think of a cartoon fish and hook.
e6ugejy8.jpg

You're a very naughty man :)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
He sounds like a right odd 'un. According to the BBC he was a Druid, believes natural disasters are to cleanse the planet, that sex abuse victims are paying the price for what they did in previous lives, believes in Homeopathy and threw his muck up Pat Phoenix. A rum one indeed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, that's that then. There were allegations, they were investigated and a case was built and it was taken to court. Bill Roache had his time in court and the jury found him not guilty on all charges. As he said himself there are no real winners that come out of this. He has had his name dragged through the mud, the witnesses have had to give up some shaky evidence which has been disproved in court much to their distress. However, justice seems to have been done and we can all move on.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He sounds like a right odd 'un. According to the BBC he was a Druid, believes natural disasters are to cleanse the planet, that sex abuse victims are paying the price for what they did in previous lives, believes in Homeopathy and threw his muck up Pat Phoenix. A rum one indeed.

and a Tory to boot
but loves cats so has some sympathy from me
he has been found not guilty by twelve people and thats good enough for me
you do not have to like a person to expect a little fairness in the way they are treated

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Well, that's that then. There were allegations, they were investigated and a case was built and it was taken to court. Bill Roache had his time in court and the jury found him not guilty on all charges. As he said himself there are no real winners that come out of this. He has had his name dragged through the mud, the witnesses have had to give up some shaky evidence which has been disproved in court much to their distress. However, justice seems to have been done and we can all move on.

yes there is, the lawyers always win....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here