Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is what's left of the 'West Pier' worth saving?

Is the West Pier worth saving?

• It's a fine part of Brighton's heritage. Save it

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Let time and nature decide. Leave it

Votes: 109 50.0%
  • It's an eyesore. Remove it

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • Don't know / don't care

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We were always a West Pier family, hailing mostly from all points Hove west to Shoreham,.... but I think its an eyesore,...... remove it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It doesn't look as if there is enough left to save now.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hands up if you've been on both the West Pier and the Palace Pier :clap2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Black Rock Bathing Pool,The Ice Stadium now The West Pier, what will be the next Attraction to be allowed to disappear,Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Volks Railway.

It's criminal how the West Pier has been allowed to deteriorate. It should have been repaired decades ago. Now it is too late and nature should be allowed to take it's course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let it die. There's no heritage in a pile of metal sticking out of the sea.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
In the early seventies I worked for an old fella who lived in an expensive(museum)flat overlooking the seafront near the Palace Pier.
On every wall were old prints/paintings & history of both piers including the chain pier.
At that time he was the main bloke in charge of the early 'Save the West Pier' campaign.
I remember he was totally infatuated with saving the West Pier.
The plumbing job took an hour --My dad & I left more than two hours later after being given a history lesson by this old bloke.
I was 20 then--I'm now 57 but I can remember this FFS!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
My memory of visiting the West Pier as a child was of a model on display of Milan? Cathedral which I think was made of matchsticks. Most pier visits with my parents seemed to have been to the Palace Pier probably because it was closer to Pool Valley which at that time was the main Bus Station for Southdown. Like many in those days our family had no car.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Interesting - well, mildly interesting - state of affairs when considering the future of the 'West Pier'...

NSC / Arsegas
Rebuild it - 21% / 38%
Leave it - 56% / 40%
Demolish it - 22% / 22%

... which says something. Not sure what, though.

The muesli and arty brigade read The Argus ?

DavePage

The Black Rock Bathing Pool,The Ice Stadium now The West Pier, what will be the next Attraction to be allowed to disappear,Your suggestions will be appreciated.
The Goldstone?
Thank (evolution) for Tony Bloom, who couldn’t save the Goldstone, (wasn’t his time), but took us out of Withdean to a new iconic Brighton attraction.
I tend to remember the old Withdean buildings from my old school sports days, even sad to see the those disappear.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Heard a little bit on BBC Radio Sussex this morning and they were talking about the Pier and it's recent collapse and they managed to get a lady from The West Pier Trust on air she said " That trying to support the remnants of the pier and prevent further collapses was far beyond the financial means of the Trust " Ergo they have given up too. Maybe they should be wound up and their cash fund given to more deserving causes ?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

I'd say the opposite - those who insist that Adam Trimingham is still important, that the Brighton Society 'has a point, you know', and that Brighton isn't Brighton without two piers read The Argus.

Not that I'm generalising, of course.

The %age who want it rebuilt is higher in the Argus, according to your post, so I come to the same conclusion as soggy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here