Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're England right to sack KP

We're England right to sack KP

• Total voters

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Is he really that disruptive that no-one can handle him? They said the same about Watson and Warner, but Aus seem to be doing ok under Lehmann with them still in the side.

If you are good enough you play, no matter what. I don't see many, if any, in England that get close to him when on form. This is Gower and Gooch all over again. Shambles.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I voted fence as I didn't feel I knew enough, but having read Michael Atherton's piece, I'd vote yes now. A player that doesn't have the support of any one of the board chairman, the departing and acting head coaches, the chief selector and the captain is on thin ice. And when I read that he doesn't have the support of a single senior player in the England side, it's a sign that he's history.

As Atherton says, to have lost the support of the easy-going Cook, who fought so hard for KP's reintegration, is an indication of how bad things have become.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Right now the answer has to be NO.

This appears to be a typically knee jerk 'we have to be seen to be doing something' decision by the ECB and a PR own goal. Not only are the team in disarray, so is the hierarchy.

Why doesn't this wait until they have a new head coach in place?

Why are we not being told why our leading batsmen at the peak of his career is being jettisoned because he causes a bit of friction?

As others have said, Watson and Clarke were barely talking at one point, and Warner was as disruptive as anyone, but Lehman came in and quickly sorted that out.

Scape goat comes to mind. I suspect KP has never liked the play by numbers defensive cricket that started under Strauss, and has become a mantra of Cook. The last 12 months have seen some of the most negative captaincy I can remember. I can imagine KP being a vocal critic of this approach, and rubbing both Flower and Cook up the wrong way. If this is one of the reasons then it's barmy because KP is right.

That said, KP may well deserve his fate, by the timing of this, a one off announcement as if that's all that has been wrong this winter is ridiculous and a shambles.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
Yep. He's South African born and raised and should never have been allowed to pull on an England shirt in the first place.

That is the correct answer.
He may well have helped to win a lot of tests but at the end of the day he is a Saffer.I moaned when the Aussies picked Wessels so on that count he should not play for England.
Having said that he did look good when in form!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That is the correct answer.
He may well have helped to win a lot of tests but at the end of the day he is a Saffer.I moaned when the Aussies picked Wessels so on that count he should not play for England.
Having said that he did look good when in form!

Wessels is a Saffer. KP's mother is English.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We don't know what he's done so I'm on the fence. He's obviously arrogant but then so was Flowers and Flowers man-management seems to have been pretty shocking for the last year or so, I would have liked to see how a new coach would have handled him

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We don't know what he's done so I'm on the fence. He's obviously arrogant but then so was Flowers and Flowers man-management seems to have been pretty shocking for the last year or so, I would have liked to see how a new coach would have handled him

Well yes, this is exactly my thoughts - what is the rush here? why not wait until the new coach is announced? Look how Lehman came in and straightened out the Watson - Clarke rift and got Warner to knuckle down.

This stinks of the suits wanting to be seen to be doing something, when all it looks like is panic and disarray.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's an awful decision on the face of it (As Vaughan says, if we knew the reasons why it would help).

There are people I work with who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire but that's not to say we can't find a way of working effectively. I could maybe understand it if there was a conveyer belt of talent coming through but there isn't and I pity the poor sod who gets 8 and 0 batting at 4 in the next test.

All it needs now is for Anderson to retire.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Despite the fact, I'm arguing his case vociferously in the other thread, I can only say fence. I'm with Vaughan, the ECB needs to clarify the real reasons why, rather than using the weasel word "rebuilding." I suspect they won't because it will get nasty and possibly litigious.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Despite the fact, I'm arguing his case vociferously in the other thread, I can only say fence. I'm with Vaughan, the ECB needs to clarify the real reasons why, rather than using the weasel word "rebuilding." I suspect they won't because it will get nasty and possibly litigious.

why does the ECB have to tell the world every raw detail and reason, i don't see a bit of diplomacy and dignity when sacking someone as a negative, even if it is a bit mealy mouthed. i am confused you think they should spill the beans but understand why not as it may get litigious. well there you go. what do you want to know for then?

someone earlier said 'its an entertainment industry' with no sense of irony. insane. its de facto entertainment but professional sport is still played by professional sportsmen who want to excel in their field. this is an issue between a professional sportsman and his governing body. their disputes are not part of the entertainment industry side of sport, or at least shouldnt be. oh well cant fight the tide i suppose. better than throwing people to lions or bear baiting.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
why does the ECB have to tell the world every raw detail and reason, i don't see a bit of diplomacy and dignity when sacking someone as a negative, even if it is a bit mealy mouthed. i am confused you think they should spill the beans but understand why not as it may get litigious. well there you go. what do you want to know for then?

someone earlier said 'its an entertainment industry' with no sense of irony. insane. its de facto entertainment but professional sport is still played by professional sportsmen who want to excel in their field. this is an issue between a professional sportsman and his governing body. their disputes are not part of the entertainment industry side of sport, or at least shouldnt be. oh well cant fight the tide i suppose. better than throwing people to lions or bear baiting.

There is no way Pietersen should be dropped for cricketing reasons, think of it from the perspective of the person coming in, a few bad knocks and we are going to be demanding KP's return. I think the ECB puts itself in a very tricky situation by insinuating something has gone on but not being specific.

They've been quick to leak details of his midemenours in the past, why not now?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
There is no way Pietersen should be dropped for cricketing reasons, think of it from the perspective of the person coming in, a few bad knocks and we are going to be demanding KP's return. I think the ECB puts itself in a very tricky situation by insinuating something has gone on but not being specific.

They've been quick to leak details of his midemenours in the past, why not now?

perhaps i was hasty i see your point regarding the lack of consistency. and perhaps previous propriety.

why not now? perhaps they have learnt something. you can imagine the teams of idiotic PR people involved in releasing information and drafting statements, all with varying moral standpoints and beliefs on the power and influence of the media (sorry to sound too hybrid x there). its always going to come out garbled, confused and maybe contradictory.

if you have spilling the beans totally at one end and saying nothing at the other, i am way down the saying nothing end.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's a disgusting decision.

We play boring, one-dimensional, attritional cricket. We've only got one box office player and we've culled him, I hope the people vote with their feet this summer and show the ECB what a disgrace they are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here