Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're England right to sack KP

We're England right to sack KP

• Total voters

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Peter Moores - a name that any England, and particularly Sussex, supporter should remember before voting.

Just because Peter Moores was coach when Sussex won the County Championship does not disguise the fact he was an aberration as England coach. County and test cricket are worlds apart.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
We have just been humiliated in Australia our best spinner has retired our rock at no 3 (trott) has issues,our keeper (prior) is dropped. Bell & cook can't buy a run between them.

So instead of calming the ship after this we sack our best player.

I may be wrong but unless prices are greatly reduced I would expect to see a lot of empty seats at games involving England this summer.

Just because Peter Moores was coach when Sussex won the County Championship does not disguise the fact he was an aberration as England coach. County and test cricket are worlds apart.

Aberration is a harsh description of Moores' tenure as England coach imo. Being undermined by a captain who has a Boycottesque approach to the sport as a team activity didn't help either.
Nothing wrong with dropping Saj Mahmood though was there?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Difficult question. I'd say having got rid of Flower then NO. Rebuilding the team ethic and philosophy is impossible if you keep losing matches. The new coach - like Lehmann with Warner- should take the challenge head on of integrating Pietersen into the team. We haven't got the batting talent to replace KP, Trott, Strauss and Prior within a 2 year timeframe.

Guys like Root, Bairstow, Taylor, Newman are still young, and expecting Cook to score, captain and nurture is asking a lot.

There was an argument for sacking Pietersen but keeping Flower, albeit that would have meant changing the coaches.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Bopara is s**t too, I am always surprised when I see his name on a team sheet.
If he is the answer, what is the question.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Were loose.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Been interested in Michael Vaughan's reaction - suggesting the England management (and Cook) don't know how to manage a "maverick". The implication being that you have to manage egos to be the best side and in this case you have one of the biggest egos. I'm not sure Cook has the personality to do this - he seems a bit straight down the line - and sending Pietersen to field on the boundary all the time, not involving him, massaging his ego just looked like he didn't know what to do with him and ended up with him isolated. I'd have liked to see a strong character (like Vaughan) come in as coach to try to add a bit of X factor to cook's straight forward approach

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Good job the England tam is in such good form at the moment that we can afford to get rid of our highest ever scoring batsman.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
voted fence purely as don't know what went on behind the scenes, without knowing the events leading up to the decision it's hard to say either way. Having said that he was a fantastic player to watch and will be badly missed from a batting point of view.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
No point transferring a rotten apple to the new barrel.

I doubt it's a coincidence that the IPL auction is next week - KP has always wanted dispensation to be available for a full IPL season (and therefore be more valuable in the auction), so I doubt very much that this is a simple case of a one-sided 'sacking'.

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Are the people who made this decision the same bunch of buffoons that want to merge kent with sussex as by doing so will make for a better England team ? if so i would suggest its them that need to go , not 1 player who has had the audacity to speak his mind .

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
100% right decision - I am one of KP's biggest supporters, he's been a major reason we have won in last few years and he is not alone to blame for the fiasco in the Ashes, but the whole team needs a major freshen up and new start and if that means we have to accept losses for a while to get back to having a dominant team in 12 months time, I'd be happy with that. The management must have felt the younger players needed to not get too big headed and cocky (Root springs to mind) and buckle down and work hard, and having KP with his 'look after No.1' mentality in the team doesn't help encourage them to learn that team and work ethic. Cricket is luckily a sport (unlike football) where decisions are taken for longer term gain and whilst we will miss him for now, and we will, I am sure in a year's time and when England have found form again it will be thanks for the memories KP but here's to the future and the new players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here