Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Pietersens England career over.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Eh? He was dropped because he'd sent texts to the South African team - Strauss and Flower thought it was a total betrayal and Pietersen accepted that he did wrong. It was pretty clear to all concerned. And Strauss has never said that Pietersen was right - he devoted a big part of his book to the incident and is clearly still hurt.

The point I'm making here is that Strauss at the time was a lame duck captain and though his behaviour was unprofessional, I don't think Pietersen was happy with that. Quite why he thought texting the Saffers was a good idea is beyond me but Strauss quit test cricket soon afterwards so must have agreed that he wasn't up to Test cricket any more. There's no room at top level sport for sentiment.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
That's just nonsense. Notts won the County Championship the year after he left them (and won it again a few years later)

The arrival of Graeme Swann and Stuart Broad, neither of whom were at the club when Pietersen left, was instrumental in their improved fortunes.

Oct 25, 2003
we really struggle to manage flair sportsmen in this country- in all sports. They're regarded with maximum suspicion and are usually thought of as 'arrogant' or 'not a team player', things like that. In this case of KP he is a bit arrogant and perhaps not 'one of the lads', but he was clearly one of our best players in recent years and just needed to be managed. Flair players need that but they're worth it because when used correctly they can pull something out of the hat that others can't. As for arrogance? name me a top sportsman that isn't arrogant in some way...it's a trait that gets you to the top of sport. we're obsessed in this country with work ethic and determination- important traits but you need more if you're going to get to the very top.

as per usual we've misused a genuine talent who will most likely be replaced by a boring 'yes man' completely lacking in creativity or aggression. But he'll have a beer with the team after the game which is far more important

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
The arrival of Graeme Swann and Stuart Broad, neither of whom were at the club when Pietersen left, was instrumental in their improved fortunes.

Stuart Broad's hardly played for Notts. Notts's fortunes are down to Mike Newell who I suspect is being lined up as England coach - I don't think he could have worked with Pietersen again.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Welcome to the new era of English cricket - two weak boring yes men at the helm. We're in for a drab few years, anyone who contemplates being different will have it knocked out of them.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The other side of the coin being I don't think I've seen such a thrilling innings by any Englishman ever than his 149 against South Africa in 2012. When he walked down the track and deposited Dale Steyn (the number 1 ranked bowler in the world at the time) straight back over his head for six was just one of "those" moments. As I said previously even if he had declined slightly in a generally misfiring batting line up, this was not a cricketing decision.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/aug/04/kevin-pietersen-south-africa

He makes Steyn look like a net bowler from about 8:00 onwards.

Thanks. That innings was what first sprang to mind when I heard he had been sent into exile. I think the 4 that nearly took Steyn's head off was as good as the 6's.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thanks. That innings was what first sprang to mind when I heard he had been sent into exile. I think the 4 that nearly took Steyn's head off was as good as the 6's.

The look on Steyn's face around 8:30 when he flicked one that was marginally short off his legs like a tracer bullet to the boundary is priceless.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I actually think we haven't seen the last of Pietersen in an England sweater.

If England find themselves trailing 1-0 to India in the summer going into the last test at The Oval and Pietersen goes and scores some daddy hundreds and a double hundred for Surrey, they will find it hard to ignore him, especially if it meant recalling him for a must-win test on his home ground.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I actually think we haven't seen the last of Pietersen in an England sweater.

If England find themselves trailing 1-0 to India in the summer going into the last test at The Oval and Pietersen goes and scores some daddy hundreds and a double hundred for Surrey, they will find it hard to ignore him, especially if it meant recalling him for a must-win test on his home ground.

Yes that will be KP, grinding it out on his beloved County Circuit on a Tuesday morning at Grace Road rather than taking the rupees from the IPL.....

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Yes that will be KP, grinding it out on his beloved County Circuit on a Tuesday morning at Grace Road rather than taking the rupees from the IPL.....

The IPL runs from March to the beginning of May. It's long finished by the start of August. Pietersen scored a double hundred for Surrey last season, so I imagine he will be playing plenty of games in county cricket once IPL's done and should fill his boots.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The IPL runs from March to the beginning of May. It's long finished by the start of August. Pietersen scored a double hundred for Surrey last season, so I imagine he will be playing plenty of games in county cricket once IPL's done and should fill his boots.

I think my point is that why should he fill his boots for a few quid in a domestic 4 day format when he can make a shed load of money playing cricket lite in India?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I think my point is that why should he fill his boots for a few quid in a domestic 4 day format when he can make a shed load of money playing cricket lite in India?

He'll do both! Playing in the IPL in April and May (which he will do) won't stop him from coming back to play for Surrey in the summer where he will also get to play in the limited overs formats as well as the 4 day games.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wtf are BBC TV news doing interviewing Piers Morgan on the subject..he's a friend wot do they think he's going to say apart from he shouldn't be dropped.. They might as well have interviewed his wife!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Better than 5-0.....Aussie made us sack Pietersen.! We have been destroyed for a generation. Won't have a chance at the ashes till the 20's at the earliest.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

The T20 tournaments here run through from Dec to March and there are a lot of overseas plyers in it.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Welcome to the new era of English cricket - two weak boring yes men at the helm. We're in for a drab few years, anyone who contemplates being different will have it knocked out of them.

I would rather an organised professional team with across the board abilities than building it around a loose cannon.
6 years overdue in my opinion, the w*****r is a liability and should have gone ages ago.
After what I witnessed in my first ashes test here, it's shame he should feel pulling the shirt on and not pride.
Now maybe we could see the return of Swann.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No--he was born in England so he is English.
Greg n Kevin were not born here so I rest my point.
Zola Budd wasn't English either.

That's my rules whether you like them or not:thumbsup:

My sister would not like them. She was born in Kenya and lived there for 6 months, so she must be Kenyan then. Oh, and Cliff Richard is Indian.

KP's mother is English.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I would rather an organised professional team with across the board abilities than building it around a loose cannon.
6 years overdue in my opinion, the w*****r is a liability and should have gone ages ago.
After what I witnessed in my first ashes test here, it's shame he should feel pulling the shirt on and not pride.
Now maybe we could see the return of Swann.

This is exactly why we'll always be behind in team sports. The majority prefer a shit tryer to a flawed genius. As long as you get out caught behind for 10 playing with a straight bat that's ok, just don't get caught on the boundary on 50.

Swann won't come back, his body is broken. Also he committed a much worse crime than KP on this tour - he gave up when we were losing.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Dominic Cork has said on Radio 5 that one of the reasons he was sacked is that he squared up to Cook.When a player shows such disrespect to the captain something has too be done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here