Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Most managers are sacked and paid off. The club saved a lot of money by using employment law. FFP.

All employment contracts are governed by employment law. When people are sacked and it's not gross misconduct then they're paid compensation. Employment law. FFS.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
No I haven't, I don't know what happened so how could I pick sides?

I just take it for what it is, we've lost a phenomenal manager & Albion legend in Gus Poyet. Perhaps the club could have done more to keep him, or perhaps Gus did something that gave the club no choice but to let him go - I don't know, because like I said, I don't know what happened.

Well the club sacked him for Gross Misconduct that still stands.

Isn't that enough?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
All employment contracts are governed by employment law. When they're sacked and it's not gross misconduct then they're paid compensation. Employment law. FFS.

It's usually easier and less messy just to pay off managers. Slade was accused of fiddling his expenses when Yeovil sacked him. They didn't go through the rigmarole of gross misconduct. He still fought his case even though he was sacked and was cleared, but by then he was our manager.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's usually easier and less messy just to pay off managers. Slade was accused of fiddling his expenses when Yeovil sacked him. They didn't go through the rigmarole of gross misconduct. He still fought his case even though he was sacked and was cleared, but by then he was our manager.

Most managers are sacked for poor performances and not for gross misconduct but it still comes under employment law. You seem to be implying that the club relied on employment law as a convenient and cheap way of getting rid of Gus. The club didn't want him to leave. He wanted to leave. He engineered his own sacking and was sacked for gross misconduct. He got caught bang to rights.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Most people loved Gus for the dramatic change in our playing style, ethos and mentality throughout the club. There is no doubt he was brilliant here, some great moments. He is tactically astute, gets the best from his players and creates a solid team ethos. This is already proven in what he has already done for Sunderland.

What people didn't like is that Gus started to be about Gus. It became about budgets and excuses until he finally made his now infamous 'has this club hit the ceiling' statement straight after the Play off defeat. It felt like he couldn't wait to leave rather than use us to wait for the right opportunity.

If he is successful with you, you will start to hear interviews and statements that make it clear that he has ambitions beyond your club. That is fine, that is par for the course, but you want to feel they are grateful for the stepping stone you have given them, not shove it back down your throat with a bitter after taste.

Interesting that you should use that analogy - as I was wondering if anybody has mentioned that he'll threaten to bugger off & play Golf if the team are playing like drains & those in the stands vocally show their displeasure.

ps Would Charlie have to Caddy for him?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That Sunderland good run of results, on past form, may plateau out and turn into to draws and defeats just as the season comes to the crunch.

I suspect Cardiff, West Brom and Fulham might not be able to take advantage but I expect it will be a close run thing.

Alas, Oscar Garcia has not produced the better displays we had under Gus Poyet. I think Sunderland may struggle home and away against the strugglers and do better at the middle to top teams.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Most managers are sacked for poor performances and not for gross misconduct but it still comes under employment law. You seem to be implying that the club relied on employment law as a convenient and cheap way of getting rid of Gus. The club didn't want him to leave. He wanted to leave. He engineered his own sacking and was sacked for gross misconduct. He got caught bang to rights.

I know he wanted to leave, that much is obvious. I still think the actual method was all about money.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Agree with the lack of plan B thing. He did good things for us but also mind bending bad things like spend all the clubs money in a decent centre forward and then playing him out of position, whoring himself out to Chelsea, spurs and 'oh I looveee Leeds and want to manage them' he also effectively threw our play off second leg against Palace with the strop to end all strops. Told the players he was gonna leave, messed their heads up on the biggest night for a generation and then refused to deal with the retained list. Good manager with potential if he keeps his ego in check, but for what he did that night, a wanker in my book.

Pretty close to my feelings.

He's a great manager but he's soiled it all with his behaviour near the end. Tony Bloom confirmed that he wanted out in March that year - disgraceful.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Pretty close to my feelings.

He's a great manager but he's soiled it all with his behaviour near the end. Tony Bloom confirmed that he wanted out in March that year - disgraceful.

Why didn't Bloom accept his resignation?

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I'd appreciate any feedback really, specifically any downsides to Gus, maybe what to expect in the future, and why his tenure here has become tainted?
He will not be content until he manages either Spurs, Chelsea and believe it or not Leeds. And in the months/years to come you and your fellow supporter will get right p***ed off about it.

Also whatever happens is never his fault if it goes tits up, but down to him when it's going fine.

We have an owner who has put between £125,000,000 and £150,000,000 into the club, and he is our future. Thankfully Poyet is our past.

TB

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I personally think Gus won't be content until Chelsea come calling. Sunderland will be Gus's Premiership proofing ground and then he'll be off. Good luck in the Rumblelows Cup Final...

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
You say that, but we could easily say that letting Murray go and bringing in CMS for £3.5m wasn't the best deal of his career, and with all due repect to CMS that is a massive amount of money for a league one player that Gus insisted he would be building the team around.
Don't forget the other great signing...a certain Mr Harley...

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Watch this video and make ur own opinion do u want to hear this when uve just lost to ur biggest rivals, imagine uve just lost to Newcastle in a final and poyet puts in a interview like this.......poyet won league one with us cos tony bloom our chairman got his cheque book out ......

Brighton made poyet not the other way round !!!!!

Enjoy cos when a bigger club come in for him he will be off, u are just another stepping stone to his dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVnhgIAA7jc

That's the first time I've ever actually watched that interview all the way through. I think he comes across as a passionate man who's devastated that he's just lost the biggest a game of his managerial career, and gives some candid, honest answers. It might not be what the fans want to hear, but football would be a better game if more people did this, rather than the usual bland, media trained, cliched answers we usually have to sit through. Why do we have to be so offended when someone says what they think?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I know he wanted to leave, that much is obvious. I still think the actual method was all about money.

Why didn't Bloom accept his resignation?

When Gus offered his resignation, did he offer to leave with no pay-off? Or was he still expecting his contract to be paid up?

I have no doubt that the method of his departure WAS all about money. Paul Barber has gone on record as stating:-

In an era of Financial Fair Play we’ve got a bigger responsibility than ever to protect the club’s assets, including the contracts with personnel and the money those contracts are worth.

I have absolutely no doubt that if another club wanted Gus and was willing to pay the compensation (and he wanted that job), he would have left "amicably". I have absolutely no doubt that if he had been willing to leave with no compensation, he would have left "amicably". But he wanted to rip up his contract and his responsibilities under that contract, whilst still being entitled to the protections that contract afforded him.

That was his choice, and he paid the consequences.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
When Gus offered his resignation, did he offer to leave with no pay-off? Or was he still expecting his contract to be paid up?

I have no doubt that the method of his departure WAS all about money. Paul Barber has gone on record as stating:-

I have absolutely no doubt that if another club wanted Gus and was willing to pay the compensation (and he wanted that job), he would have left "amicably". I have absolutely no doubt that if he had been willing to leave with no compensation, he would have left "amicably". But he wanted to rip up his contract and his responsibilities under that contract, whilst still being entitled to the protections that contract afforded him.

That was his choice, and he paid the consequences.

I'd agree with that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here