Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Surprised you've not made any homophobic remarks in your post as your forum have made homophobic remarks towards Brighton fans when all they've done is tried to interact with like minded fans and engage in football matters.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Poyet seems to be a good manager, and DOES get results. I don't hate him as much as others seem to on here, but the way he talked about wanting other jobs, especially just after the play off semi final, where we were on a severe low after we lost, was unacceptable.

To be honest, it was the right time to go. We have a good manager in Oscar now, who hasn't been doing that bad considering injurys, 1st year in England ect. I just hope we can push on from here with some good results and better our league position.

As for Poyet, don't be surprised if he wants to jump ship if a bigger job comes through.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Rang the chairman night before our game against Palace saying he wants out. Enough said. Bloke won't give a shit, wait until summer when you want have a budget to match his ego!

Note: I say ego and not ambitions!

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Hello all, as you may have gleened from my username I'm a Sunderland fan.

Throughout the transfer window I've been lurking on this forum, mainly due to our pursuit of Bridcutt and seeing if there was any info that you lot had that our fans didn't etc.

Anyway, I've noticed quite a large amount of negativity towards Poyet on here, which is quite surprising to an outsider looking in considering what he achieved here. As you may have guessed our fans are in love with him at the moment, for the first time in a long time it looks like we have a manager who actually has a clear plan and an inkling of what he is actually doing. We are firmly on the 'gus bus' right now :smile:

Basically, I'd just love to here some opinions from you lot on Poyet, and why a section of you are critical of him? We have had a few Brighton fans on our forum, but the majority of them were rather, erm, 'short fused' to put it kindly and didn't take well to our pursuit of Bridcutt (who by the way looks a cracking player).

I'd appreciate any feedback really, specifically any downsides to Gus, maybe what to expect in the future, and why his tenure here has become tainted?

Cheers.

Had to quote you as the post would have gone unnoticed. Surprised you've not made any homophobic remarks in your post as your forum have made homophobic remarks towards Brighton fans when all they've done is tried to interact with like minded fans and engage in football matters.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Throughout the transfer window I've been lurking on this forum, mainly due to our pursuit of Bridcutt and seeing if there was any info that you lot had that our fans didn't etc.

Anyway, I've noticed quite a large amount of negativity towards Poyet on here, which is quite surprising to an outsider looking in considering what he achieved here. As you may have guessed our fans are in love with him at the moment, for the first time in a long time it looks like we have a manager who actually has a clear plan and an inkling of what he is actually doing. We are firmly on the 'gus bus' right now :smile:

Basically, I'd just love to here some opinions from you lot on Poyet, and why a section of you are critical of him? We have had a few Brighton fans on our forum, but the majority of them were rather, erm, 'short fused' to put it kindly and didn't take well to our pursuit of Bridcutt (who by the way looks a cracking player).

I'd appreciate any feedback really, specifically any downsides to Gus, maybe what to expect in the future, and why his tenure here has become tainted?

Cheers.

Most people loved Gus for the dramatic change in our playing style, ethos and mentality throughout the club. There is no doubt he was brilliant here, some great moments. He is tactically astute, gets the best from his players and creates a solid team ethos. This is already proven in what he has already done for Sunderland.

What people didn't like is that Gus started to be about Gus. It became about budgets and excuses until he finally made his now infamous 'has this club hit the ceiling' statement straight after the Play off defeat. It felt like he couldn't wait to leave rather than use us to wait for the right opportunity.

If he is successful with you, you will start to hear interviews and statements that make it clear that he has ambitions beyond your club. That is fine, that is par for the course, but you want to feel they are grateful for the stepping stone you have given them, not shove it back down your throat with a bitter after taste.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I liked Gus, excellent manager, he dragged our club up from the depths of league one to the verge of the prem. Upset a few of the
Vocal fragile flowers on here, some just didnt like him cos he wasnt a british manager. Some of the football we played in his tenure was amongst the best I've seen in over forty years of watching the team. Unfortunate that it finished in the way it did, and the timing was awful, but nobody on hete (including me) really knows what went on in the second play off game, but, as we are finding out now, our club didn't match Gus's ambition, so he left. I hope he doe's well for you, no hard feelings from me, lifes too short, btw, look after Liam, he's a diamond

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Great manager.
At the moment everything is hunky dory. He has turned you round, and got you believing in yourselves. Your on honeymoon at the moment, so everything is rosey.
The crunch, and his true colours may show when things start going tits up.
If the results start going the wrong way, or decisions start to go against him, then you will get the histrionics and the moaning. He has a massive ego and will always get his two-penn'arth in, he cant control his gob.
God forbid that one of his countrymen has an alleged racist incident or bites someone.
Also as others have said, he will always have his sights set on a (no disrespect to you) bigger club, so be wary, very wary.
But enjoy while you can, cos the GusBus is a good ride.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Cheers.

But your most successful manager of recent times was Steve Bruce and I don’t see any of you lot having a love in with him or wishing him well with Hull. You are playing them next so lets see how you get on with that if you get beat. :thumbsup:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He never had a plan B down here, although, granted, plan A is usually OK. Maybe with better players at Sunderland he might find one. But woe betide the directors not letting him have his own way, esp as he's now had a bit of success - he is likely to cause unrest, IMO.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have never denied that he is probably going to be a great manager and that he totally turned this club around and I will always be grateful for that, but I cannot see how any Brighton fan cannot despise him for the way he acted in regard to the Palace games. He used those games to engineer his exit, unforgivable, I thought that part of the saga was clear, isn't it?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He's a legend, and a brilliant manager. One day all Brighton fans will realise it

Nail Head Tim. I could not agree more. Poyet is one of the greatest managers in England without a doubt. It is our massive loss and Sunderland's gain. I will slate him, if and when we ever hear 2 sides to the story which is the usual way , if he has done anything majorly wrong but at the moment I feel we have lost the greatest manager BHAFC have had in my 42 years of supporting them.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

As you can tell, nobody really cares!!! The strength of opinion based on a fantastic few years that has literally transformed the perceptions of our Club on the pitch. Unfortunately you got the impression that the next step wouldn't come quickly enough, and he wasn't prepared to gamble his reputation at a Club finding it's feet. I fear this will be the case with you as well...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Great manager.
At the moment everything is hunky dory. He has turned you round, and got you believing in yourselves. Your on honeymoon at the moment, so everything is rosey.
The crunch, and his true colours may show when things start going tits up.
If the results start going the wrong way, or decisions start to go against him, then you will get the histrionics and the moaning. He has a massive ego and will always get his two-penn'arth in, he cant control his gob.
God forbid that one of his countrymen has an alleged racist incident or bites someone.
Also as others have said, he will always have his sights set on a (no disrespect to you) bigger club, so be wary, very wary.
But enjoy while you can, cos the GusBus is a good ride.

Again no one has questioned why Poyet behaved in this way at the end. There may have been factors we do not know about and for the first 3 years or so it is was rainbows and roses until the club and the fans viciously turned against him.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I was a huge fan of Gus' style of play and although it ended on a sour note I wish him (and his ego, oh and his mouth) well.

The only criticisms I would have are he had no Plan B. He would leave his subs far too late, the majority of the time, for my liking. Easily changeable as his matures as a manager though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here