Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus, Tanno, and Charlie ... does ANYONE know?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There were quite a few games where the manager just sat there. In fact he only really got animated when the referee made appalling decisions, and he got fined for those. He said himself, in an interview, he was fed up with paying out £15K to the FA.

Does he just sit with his arms folded on the Sunderland bench? Genuine question I have no idea as I haven't watched, I've only seen him take off his jacket and throw it on the ground in the early days there.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Could this have been the start of it? As I recall Groeningen had said only bids over 5M Euros would be considered. Was this the issue that caused the rift?

If we are guessing potential rifts ( no implication that this has anything to do with the sacking ) I'd say a good candidate could be found in November 2011.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Did you notice that there was absolutely no passion from Poyet himself on the night, or did I just imagine that? For a manager who normally went mental on the sidelines, it can't have gone unnoticed by the players. Biggest night in years and the manager goes missing during the game.

I think, unless memory is playing tricks, that he had been like that for a while. Possibly since he asked to leave in March.
I seem to remember him and Tarricco spending most games sat back with arms folded and just Charlie on the edge of the box barking orders. I don't think he cared anymore despite what the players were or weren't doing on the pitch.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It may not overcome the pain of a poor performance at Watford but I find a lot of consolation in Oscar Garcia's dignified behaviour now, compared to Gus's last season. I also contrast the moneys made available by Tony Bloom to Gus and suspect that Oscar can only dream of having such a transfer budget.

I am sure that Oscar is frustrated - I would be disappointed if an ambitious Coach isn't in the circumstances. However I suspect that Oscar was made very aware of the budget constraints under FFP but also noted the huge positives around the Club with the new training complex, a pretty decent squad and some amazing fans.

I would suggest that promotion to the Prem under Oscar would be an even greater achievement than if Gus had actually done his job properly. To still be sniffing around the play off places after so many difficulties with long term injuries to so many key players, a series of loanees and the Bridcutt situation (another of Gus's making) plus not securing our own first choice transfer targets is remarkable. With a bit more luck, less intervention by the woodwork and some fairer Refs we could easily be sat well within the play off places - and with key players to return.

Maybe we would be a bit happier if we saw Oscar throw his toys out of his pram a bit more often. I will be interested to see how Oscar learns from our performance at Vicarage Road and what changes might follow. Certainly the 3 subs should have given Oscar plenty of food for thought, which is good.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
all of it

I find that hard to believe considering a huge proportion of it was probably very subtle, and not really actions per se, just a gradual shifting of culture and power within the club.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm not excusing it, if it happened, but there are far worse gross misconducts like sexual harrasment, physical or verbal abuse, racism or drink and drug addiction etc within the company.

All I am saying is that gross misconduct can sound worse than it is and I am sure that Gus didn't do anything evil, just that he upset the apple cart.

Well, if it was just a matter of Gus exercising his normal 'latin temprement' that got him into all this hot water,then maybe TB would have been better off holding his tongue and trying to keep Gus et al sweet for another season, in which case we could be doing a Leicester now, i.e. well on our way to the promised land of the Premier League for next season.

Maybe lol.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I know exactly what happened.

The fat bloke from 'Lost' ate them all.

You *******, I was enjoying the series and you ruined it all!! This is the worse way of finding out since the finale of The Sopranos!!!.

Oh well, at least no one has so far disturbed me in breaking bad :)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well, if it was just a matter of Gus exercising his normal 'latin temprement' that got him into all this hot water,then maybe TB would have been better off holding his tongue and trying to keep Gus et al sweet for another season, in which case we could be doing a Leicester now, i.e. well on our way to the promised land of the Premier League for next season.

Maybe lol.

No Gus had to go, his way would have been spending like a Prem club on Championship players. Now he has walked into a club with quality players and he can buy more of them. Not forgetting he doesn't have to go through a promotion process.

We were never going to get the quality of Adam Johnson at the Amex even if Gus was still here.

The club did Gus a favour, but he didn't see it like that.

I will always maintain that with Gus fully knowing the situation, his belief in himself, and with his ambition for the Prem, he should have offered his resignation when he was suspended. He had the choice to walk away with dignity and we wouldn't have had to fire him.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don't think anyone came out of it looking good, so its in no ones interest to release what really happened

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I am sure there were lots of intrigue ,whispers and i said ,you said. I believe Poyet to be an honest man and he gave us the reason ,after the Palace match,yes not always said in the "right" way,but he basically said that he had taken the club as far as "he " could. This is the reason.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I am sure there were lots of intrigue ,whispers and i said ,you said. I believe Poyet to be an honest man and he gave us the reason ,after the Palace match,yes not always said in the "right" way,but he basically said that he had taken the club as far as "he " could. This is the reason.

I am not trying to excuse gus, but it must be said that english is a second language for him, and maybe some of the nuances are lost on him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here