Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus, Tanno, and Charlie ... does ANYONE know?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not libellous if its true though surely.

You'd be wise to choose your exact words very carefully even with the truth.

And make sure there is no other legal reason not to say the truth. eg you cannot name people given anonymity by a court etc.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011

And make sure there is no other legal reason not to say the truth. eg you cannot name people given anonymity by a court etc.
Maybe we could compile a long list of possible reasons. And then do a poll to see which one people think it is? :ascarf:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The story is out there but probably still best avoided on here.

Which bit of it? It isn't ONE thing, is it? It was dozens of things, probably more, that all slowly came to a head.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

So what's wrong with stating the truth its fact; no one owns the right's to the truth!

gnjd_85

May 19, 2009
I do find it a bit strange when people basically say "Why should we know" "Why is it any of our business" etc.

I understand that yes legally this is the case, the club and Poyet can both keep whatever they want private and choose to tell who what about anything they like.

However, he was an extremely successful manager for us and surely it's obvious that people are going to want answers, I think actually the comparison with other businesses and companies is fair but would conclude in a different way than others had in that yes, I would expect any high profile company to explain why a very successful and very high profile employee in the public eye was fired for gross misconduct. All strikes me as a bit 1984 to just say 'he's done something terrible' but that they're not prepared to say what it was.

I'm happy with Garcia, I think Bloom is an absolute hero, I suspect he has his reasons but I'd like to know what they are and there'll always be a slight nagging in the back of my mind until I know what they are so I'll probably keep asking the question as I think it's right to. I have 'moved on' but I won't just stop being curious, the passage of time doesn't make any difference to the fundamental issue.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It is fairly predictable that with our current 'wobble' (despite a steady rebuilding job) coinciding with Gus hitting the headlines at his new club that some will start asking why he had to go.

We will never know the full details because the Club (correctly in my opinion) opted to go down the formal disciplinary route and observing confidentiality, just as in most proper businesses.

I am inclined to believe Tony Bloom's brief public comments (at a fans forum many months later) that Gus originally asked to be released from his contract back in March, as being very close to the truth. I cannot see Tony having taken great care over preceding months to observe recognised employment and legal protocols while under a barrage of denials and threats from Gus and the LMA only to then gift Gus and his lawyers a chance for an expensive law suit.

Secondly I suggest that Gus's own silence after Tony's comments also speaks volumes, almost as if Tony was putting just enough information in the public domain about what created the spat to show it wasn't triggered by the Club. No doubt Gus's lawyers had been watching Tony for months hoping for an indiscrete comment but clearly he felt comfortable enough to go public and I'm not aware if it has been denied and / or challenged.

So if anyone questions why we are now faffing around in the top third of the Championship and making rather conservative signings in transfer windows while constrained by FFP when we should already be in the Prem should submit their questions in writing to G. Poyet Esq, c/o Sunderland Football Club.

I believe it is Gus who owes us most of the answers and not Tony Bloom. Tony had backed Gus in the transfer window this time last season with Ulloa and Upson and allegedly made a further £2m available for VVD. I'm not sure what 'ceiling' Gus subsequently alluded to, especially as our destiny in the play offs was largely in Gus's hands rather than Tony's and it was Gus's ineffective / non-existent input that failed to see us through. Gus would have known that failure to get promoted last season would then render him and us liable for a harder life under FFP, so Gus was the real architect of his mythical 'ceiling', and this seems a rather lame knee-jerk excuse.

Gus was prepared to jump ship just as we were on the brink of a spectacular success which would have greatly enhanced his developing reputation, making him an even stronger candidate for a top Prem job - and without any of the baggage from his acrimonious departure.

I have great memories of what was achieved under Gus and he will be right up there as our best manager in footballing terms but ultimately he is tarnished by his own choice to leave just as things were in the ascendant. I'm sure he will go onto even greater things in football but that missed opportunity of taking the Albion into the Prem will always hang over him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It is fairly predictable that with our current 'wobble' (despite a steady rebuilding job) coinciding with Gus hitting the headlines at his new club that some will start asking why he had to go.

We will never know the full details because the Club (correctly in my opinion) opted to go down the formal disciplinary route and observing confidentiality, just as in most proper businesses.

I am inclined to believe Tony Bloom's brief public comments (at a fans forum many months later) that Gus originally asked to be released from his contract back in March, as being very close to the truth. I cannot see Tony having taken great care over preceding months to observe recognised employment and legal protocols while under a barrage of denials and threats from Gus and the LMA only to then gift Gus and his lawyers a chance for an expensive law suit.

Secondly I suggest that Gus's own silence after Tony's comments also speaks volumes, almost as if Tony was putting just enough information in the public domain about what created the spat to show it wasn't triggered by the Club. No doubt Gus's lawyers had been watching Tony for months hoping for an indiscrete comment but clearly he felt comfortable enough to go public and I'm not aware if it has been denied and / or challenged.

So if anyone questions why we are now faffing around in the top third of the Championship and making rather conservative signings in transfer windows while constrained by FFP when we should already be in the Prem should submit their questions in writing to G. Poyet Esq, c/o Sunderland Football Club.

I believe it is Gus who owes us most of the answers and not Tony Bloom. Tony had backed Gus in the transfer window this time last season with Ulloa and Upson and allegedly made a further £2m available for VVD. I'm not sure what 'ceiling' Gus subsequently alluded to, especially as our destiny in the play offs was largely in Gus's hands rather than Tony's and it was Gus's ineffective / non-existent input that failed to see us through. Gus would have known that failure to get promoted last season would then render him and us liable for a harder life under FFP, so Gus was the real architect of his mythical 'ceiling', and this seems a rather lame knee-jerk excuse.

Gus was prepared to jump ship just as we were on the brink of a spectacular success which would have greatly enhanced his developing reputation, making him an even stronger candidate for a top Prem job - and without any of the baggage from his acrimonious departure.

I have great memories of what was achieved under Gus and he will be right up there as our best manager in footballing terms but ultimately he is tarnished by his own choice to leave just as things were in the ascendant. I'm sure he will go onto even greater things in football but that missed opportunity of taking the Albion into the Prem will always hang over him.

I find it hard to argue with any of that, good post.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So what's wrong with stating the truth its fact; no one owns the right's to the truth!

Nothing. The point is be very precise in your wording of the truth, and not to imply anything further, even by accident. Hence, choose your words carefully.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

I salute you -- summed up my feelings completely :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree with the majority of your post but I still don't see how Gus's 'ineffective' input caused Hammond to head straight at the keeper, or Barnes to have a shot tipped over the bar, or Moxey to clear another Barnes shot off the line. The actual games were down to the players rather than the manager.
I don't remember anyone coming back from Selhurst saying that the manager had been ineffective.

I do agree that he was going to go anyway, whether we got promoted or not but I still think the players were at fault for the game at the Amex. That's why I said that we didn't miss out on promotion last season, because I am fairly sure that Watford would have beaten us at Wembley.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So why did the club sack the most successful manager in the club's history?

Can you explain how you arrived at that conclusion? As far as I'm aware, the most successful manager was Mullery and he, according to reports, walked away when Bamber sold Lawrenson to Liverpool when Mullery had agreed a deal with Man Utd! Arguably, Barry Lloyd was more successful as he won a promotion from the third tier and reached the play-off final, all on a shoestring budget. Some might even argue that Mike Bailey was more successful as he got Brighton our highest ever league finish!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
............ Tony had backed Gus in the transfer window this time last season .......and allegedly made a further £2m available for VVD. ...............

Could this have been the start of it? As I recall Groeningen had said only bids over 5M Euros would be considered. Was this the issue that caused the rift?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with the majority of your post but I still don't see how Gus's 'ineffective' input caused Hammond to head straight at the keeper, or Barnes to have a shot tipped over the bar, or Moxey to clear another Barnes shot off the line. The actual games were down to the players rather than the manager.
I don't remember anyone coming back from Selhurst saying that the manager had been ineffective.

I do agree that he was going to go anyway, whether we got promoted or not but I still think the players were at fault for the game at the Amex. That's why I said that we didn't miss out on promotion last season, because I am fairly sure that Watford would have beaten us at Wembley.

Did you notice that there was absolutely no passion from Poyet himself on the night, or did I just imagine that? For a manager who normally went mental on the sidelines, it can't have gone unnoticed by the players. Biggest night in years and the manager goes missing during the game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did you notice that there was absolutely no passion from Poyet himself on the night, or did I just imagine that? For a manager who normally went mental on the sidelines, it can't have gone unnoticed by the players.

There were quite a few games where the manager just sat there. In fact he only really got animated when the referee made appalling decisions, and he got fined for those. He said himself, in an interview, he was fed up with paying out £15K to the FA.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Could this have been the start of it? As I recall Groeningen had said only bids over 5M Euros would be considered. Was this the issue that caused the rift?

This is something I have wondered, especially when Celtic didn't pay that much more than we offered, although he didn't go until the summer when Groeningen had avoided relegation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here