Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New training ground video on Player

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Read all that and not happy that clubs can just roll up and cheery pick our best players for peanuts. Has the club given any indication on whether or not we'll be meeting these rules to become Cat 1 status?

I believe we are aiming for Cat 1. Regardless of the number of coaches, it means it'll have a running cost of at least £2.5m a season. That means you'd have to produce a £2.5m player every season for it to pay for itself. HOWEVER, if you're a Cat1, it's also about not losing the talent/getting the talent in. So even if we aren't producing that golden player every year, we might nick someone for pittance and make a decent return from his sale.

It's basically a horrid system that allows the richer clubs to cherry pick other clubs promising youngsters. Keep in mind you *could* have top coaches AND fantastic facilities but be denied Cat 1 status because you don't have the outlay.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It does seem that being Cat 1 is essential to safeguarding your young talent, as it costs peanuts for the bigger clubs to just come an pick up players. I do however assume that the players can also choose to stay if we make a persuasive enough argument (i.e. you will actually play for us rather than rot in the reserves).

Still the facility looks absolutely superb and it is a fine example of the ambition of the club to move onward and upward. The league one set up is being left well and truly behind.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
TWO Amex replica pitches - same dimensions, same pitch surface (fibre-lastic?), same drainage, same undersoil heating... and one with advertising boards and floodlights... just WOW!
I wonder if this will be used for U21 matches?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I can't see why not, it'll bring money into the club as well as fans could pay to watch like at Lancing and more people would turn up just to see what the complex looks like.

Are they planning on putting some sort of terracing around one of them then, or will the spectators simply stand alongside the pitch in what is currently a quagmire?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The thing is though that Lancing is so close to the training ground they may as well continue to hold dev squad matches there anyway. I'm sure this was the thinking at playing at Lancing in the first place ???

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The thing is though that Lancing is so close to the training ground they may as well continue to hold dev squad matches there anyway. I'm sure this was the thinking at playing at Lancing in the first place ???

With the added advantage that Lancing is setup for hosting people to watch. The training ground is by design meant to be private and dedicated for training. There's limited parking, it's miles from a station and there aren't amenities for guests.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
TWO Amex replica pitches - same dimensions, same pitch surface (fibre-lastic?), same drainage, same undersoil heating... and one with advertising boards and floodlights... just WOW!

pretty mad innit?

To think for years we didn't even have one pitch to call our own.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

Surely you'd want the U21 and U18 etc to train on our pitches at the training ground to get used to the Amex pitch for when their time comes?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You trying to be funny?

Nope - I was pointing out to the people that suggested that they could hold Dev Squad games there, and admit spectators, that there were a few logisitical problems with that plan.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Nope - I was pointing out to the people that suggested that they could hold Dev Squad games there, and admit spectators, that there were a few logisitical problems with that plan.

oh, ok, My fault, should have re-read your post properly. Agree about holding developing squad games there as it'll be beneficial for the whole teams that that are progressing to reach the first team.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
oh, ok, My fault, should have re-read your post properly. Agree about holding developing squad games there as it'll be beneficial for the whole teams that that are progressing to reach the first team.

I think they'll have to have a mix. There's clearly a reason for the advertising around the pitch, so they intend to have games there that require TV / Youtube coverage, so that would suggest competitive games, but they won't have the facilities for spectators; so some games will be at Lancing to allow this. Of course, 3 games (Dev) will be at the Amex as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here