Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Least popular MP who has never been Prime Minister

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Widdiecombe takes some beating.

Like Portillo, I think Widdiecombe was better once she left politics. A very sharp minded woman with a decent sense of humour. Probably undervalued when she was in office.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I suspect that would put the Tories in opposition for years - my gut feeling is that when Cameron loses in 2015 then many in the party might turn to Boris.

I have corrected your post for you.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Like Portillo, I think Widdiecombe was better once she left politics. A very sharp minded woman with a decent sense of humour. Probably undervalued when she was in office.

Yeah I agree she's sharp minded, but for me the sharp bit is too often pointing in entirely the wrong direction. In fact that might be what galls me the most about her - that she's obviously smart but remains entirely unflexible and 'principled' when faced with contradicting evidence.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Many politicians are better appreciated once they've left office. Not all, of course, but those who rose to office or Cabinet level were, at that time, part of a party machine, and their personal views rarely got to be aired.

Whether you agree with their politics or not, the likes of Douglas Hurd, Kenneth Clarke (yes, I know he's still in office), Michael Heseltine, Dennis Healey, Shirley Williams et al would probably be very interesting people to listen to. You'd get a proper political debate, rather than cheap point-scoring.

There are exceptions. John Redwood is the epitome of desperate hanger-on.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Yeah I agree she's sharp minded, but for me the sharp bit is too often pointing in entirely the wrong direction. In fact that might be what galls me the most about her - that she's obviously smart but remains entirely unflexible and 'principled' when faced with contradicting evidence.

I can't remember the name of the documentary but she was very humbled when she spent a week ( ? ) with a family on the breadline. I suspect her views changed after that. I'm not defending her but I struggle to accept that she is the worst MP that there ever was.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Many politicians are better appreciated once they've left office. Not all, of course, but those who rose to office or Cabinet level were, at that time, part of a party machine, and their personal views rarely got to be aired.

Whether you agree with their politics or not, the likes of Douglas Hurd, Kenneth Clarke (yes, I know he's still in office), Michael Heseltine, Dennis Healey, Shirley Williams et al would probably be very interesting people to listen to. You'd get a proper political debate, rather than cheap point-scoring.

There are exceptions. John Redwood is the epitome of desperate hanger-on.

Agreed - on the odd occassion I've seen Michael Heseltine and Dennis Healey speak after leaving the party machine they have been both engaging and interesting even if I don't necessarily agree with what they said. Charles Kennedy is another politician who speaks a lot of sense since leaving the party arena.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I can't remember the name of the documentary but she was very humbled when she spent a week ( ? ) with a family on the breadline. I suspect her views changed after that. I'm not defending her but I struggle to accept that she is the worst MP that there ever was.

Yeah I fully admit that my dislike for her is as much based on a purely biological pharyngeal reflex as much as anything else.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So anyway, I'm just wondering - any advances on Michael Gove?

Tough one, but I raise you Edwina Currie. Does *anyone* actually like her? (apart from John Major, obvs!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well done - given the current shower of shit at the head of the Labour Party your faith may be very misplaced.

Thank you. Not my best work but it made me chuckle rather childishly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thank you. Not my best work but it made me chuckle rather childishly.

He's right about the Labour party. This is the shittest Labour front bench I can remember. To a man and woman, they are all fücking useless career politicians devoid of ideas and more concerned with their own careers than serving the people.

I am praying for another hung parliament because I wouldn't trust any of the 3 main parties to run the country on their own at the moment.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I can't stand Widdicombe's relentless aggression. She's awful. Good link to Michael 'something of the night' Howard. As slippery as an eel. Creepy. Ed Balls is too loud, obnoxious and vain. Imagine that lot at a dinner party...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Current MPs :
Norman Baker - Gobshite
Tim Farron - Smily Tosser
Diane Abbot - Everything that's wrong with safe seats
Jacob Rees Mogg - See Diane Abbot
Alex Salmond - "Scotland this, Scotland that"
Nick Griffin - Stupid man made prominent by other stupid men.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I can't stand Widdicombe's relentless aggression. She's awful. Good link to Michael 'something of the night' Howard. As slippery as an eel. Creepy. Ed Balls is too loud, obnoxious and vain. Imagine that lot at a dinner party...

Almost worth a new thread - which MPs would you least like to attend a dinner party with? The list would be endless. It would be like a nightmare episode of 'Come Dine With Me'. Can you imagine anything worse than having to spend an evening in the company of Widdicombe, Currie, Balls, Baker and Gove?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here