Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Least popular MP who has never been Prime Minister

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've got a really horrible feeling that Gove is going to be the next Conservative leader.

I suspect that would put the Tories in opposition for years - my gut feeling is that if Cameron loses in 2015 then many in the party might turn to Boris.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Gove wins by a mile. An odious little....who wants to put all us plebs back where he and his public school "chums" KNOW (cos they're always right) we belong. I bet he was thrilled by last night's Panorama about North Korea. It fitted his idea of education perfectly.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Iain Duncan Smith gives CJTCs a bad name

'Arbeit macht frei'

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Michael Gove makes my blood boil - a definite CJTC if ever I've seen one

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You wouldn't be the only one with a horrible feeling if that happened. Surely they can't be THAT stupid?

I don't know - I'll get this out the way, I find him personally odious BUT

He has influential friends in the media
He's only really p*ssed off teachers who aren't going to vote Tory anyway.
He's young (ish) and unencumbered by scandal (yet, see point 1)
I think he's (somewhat laughably) seen by his own party as a dynamic moderniser. He certainly doesn't appear to be fixed to either wing of the party.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I suspect that would put the Tories in opposition for years - my gut feeling is that if Cameron loses in 2015 then many in the party might turn to Boris.

I've thought that for a while, I get why it might be a consideration but it would be an awful lot of faith to show in someone who has stuck his foot in it publically repeatedly. He gets away with it now but as PM?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've thought that for a while, I get why it might be a consideration but it would be an awful lot of faith to show in someone who has stuck his foot in it publically repeatedly. He gets away with it now but as PM?

Agreed - he is a danger but given he's defeated Ken Livingstone, who despite his love of newts was a fairly decent mayor, I think many Tories hold him as the key to true election success. Regardless of your politics, he does at least brighten up an otherwise bland set of current politicians.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

I think Boris, if elected Tory leader, would become PM. He is the likable friendly face of the party. He is upper class without the condescending 'I'm just like you, call me Dave' act. People like him.

Lets face it, policies don't seem that important anymore. Cameron in opposition didn't have much policy beyond criticising the Government and Milliband has adopted the same tactics. I can see Boris getting in on personality alone.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i understand this is Gove kicking season, but i think you'll find he's very popular within his party.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think Boris, if elected Tory leader, would become PM. He is the likable friendly face of the party. He is upper class without the condescending 'I'm just like you, call me Dave' act. People like him.

Lets face it, policies don't seem that important anymore. Cameron in opposition didn't have much policy beyond criticising the Government and Milliband has adopted the same tactics. I can see Boris getting in on personality alone.

He can't be teflon Boris for ever, he's already got away with far more than others in his position would. Put it this way, if I were a Conservative voter as much as I could see the value in having someone with a considerable public profile as leader, I wouldn't be able to concentrate for fear of him affecting diplomatic relations with another country in the same way as his outrageous slurs on Liverpool in the wake of the Ken Bigley tragedy did.

Gove as ridiculous as it seems appears to be a safer pair of hands to me who should appeal to both wings of the Tory support.

Anyway I don't really care... just an outsider looking in if you will.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
i understand this is Gove kicking season, but i think you'll find he's very popular within his party.

I think that just illustrates how out-of-touch a lot of the Conservative Party are.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
He can't be teflon Boris for ever, he's already got away with far more than others in his position would. Put it this way, if I were a Conservative voter as much as I could see the value in having someone with a considerable public profile as leader, I wouldn't be able to concentrate for fear of him affecting diplomatic relations with another country in the same way as his outrageous slurs on Liverpool in the wake of the Ken Bigley tragedy did.

Gove as ridiculous as it seems appears to be a safer pair of hands to me who should appeal to both wings of the Tory support.

Anyway I don't really care... just an outsider looking in if you will.

All fair points, I hadn't really put the problem on it's head and thought about it like that before. Boris has got away with a lot during his career.

You are correct about Gove - Tories love him!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I didn’t mind Portillo, actually. Thought he had a fair bit of weirdly gawky panache.

Mellor was awful, as was Michael Howard. And Archer is probably themost unanimously hated? But for me, Widdiecombe takes some beating.

Of the current lot, I find Loughton & Balls hard to stomach.

Edit - forgot GALLOWAY. Bleurgh.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I didn’t mind Portillo, actually. Thought he had a fair bit of weirdly gawky panache.

I think his political demise actually taught him some very valuable lessons. He'd be a far better MP now than when he actually had a seat.

And Doris Karloff (as much it pains me to say this) was a proper old fashioned conviction politician, who I have a great deal of respect for, even if I don't share her political views. She would have been an excellent leader of the Tory party if she was bothered about the image side of things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here