Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How old was your child

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I took young un when she was 10 months old, it had to be done to the very first game at the Amex in the Sussex senior cup, she loved it sat just behind Gus and she fell asleep, she is now cursed as I got Gus to give the baby a kiss !!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I took my eldest to his first match when he was 2 ..... days !

Now nearly 11 he loves it but the youngest at 7 still struggles to keep interested for the whole match.

Backs up my experience, I have seen 4 year olds immersed in the game, others can be 9 or 10 before they switch from only really wanting to go for the sweets.

First game I would try and pick a low key game and sit in one of the quieter parts of the ground (corners for example). Take in the whole pre-match thing, go down the front and see gully, watch the players warm up etc.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I went to my first match when I was 10 which looking back was about right, but could easily have gone earlier.

I took my son when he was 3, which was too early but it's such a great thing to do that I don't regret it. Then on and off until he was about 8 then he's had a season ticket ever since.

The key to getting them on board is slowly slowly take them, if they don't want to go don't force them, then gradually they get the bug, and then you've got them. Lovely stuff.

apologies for repeating my self but the OP did ask, took 'the boy' to Withdean when he was 7 weeks, due to it being the last match of the season and his birthday not being til next month, he's now been going for 6 seasons (3 as ST) despite being only 4 years old. He's gradually watching more of the match and learning more but you do need other activities and loads of snacks. Dunno what the right age is as he's better behaved than the 10 year olds that sit near me that spend most of the match kicking the back of my seat (and generally appear bored)Its a great father/son day out for us, Go to McDonalds, go on the train, he even likes the pub, I take him to a few Peacehaven aways and usually combine something else e.g Leatherhead is right next to the swimming pool. He was removed from the home end at Selhurst when he was 3 (Dec12) for putting on his Albion hat, as a result we ended up in the Albion end so that worked out right and we've even taken in an England match (v Ireland). It's been relatively painless on the whole, we've left 10 mins before the end once or twice but generally as long as the day is balanced between him and me I find it pleasurable.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
All mine have been between 3 and 4 and out of the 4 is only my eldest who doesn't like it, she is 13 now. My youngest who had only just turned 4 liked it so much I had to get her season ticket as well, thankfully there was empty seat behind me that my son now has. Yes they may struggle to concentrate for 90 minutes, but a packed lunch, and book or something keeps them happy. Think generally they just love dad time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Both mine have been when they are a matter of weeks old - they're portable, sleep a lot and it's a lot easier than when they get a bit bigger.

My girl has attended on and off ever since, and has always been good. It's only been the age of 9 where she really got into the football itself - knowing our players, wanting to slate the ref and develop a loathing of Crystal Palace.

I took my 3 1/2 year old son to the Reading game and it wasn't an overly pleasurable experience - he has no interest in the football and he was getting pretty tired by the second half. That we had a parking spot in the university helped as I picked him up on about 85 minutes and made a dash to avoid the crowds at full-time. Other kids will be different, of course, but I'll not be trying him again until next season now.

jovett

Aug 9, 2013
Thanks everyone...he does ask to see Brighton when we pass the stadium, might try a few of your tips, if it doesn't work, I will try again next season.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Thanks everyone...he does ask to see Brighton when we pass the stadium, might try a few of your tips, if it doesn't work, I will try again next season.

Am experiencing exactly the same with my son who is 3 in April, we often have a spare seat in our group of mates so was thinking of taking him as a one off experiment when the weather is warmer. Only challenge is my season ticket is in West Upper so not sure how safe this would be for him due to the crowds on the concourse and the number of steps!!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Non-League football is always good. Me and my dad took my little sister who was 5 to watch Eastbourne Borough and she liked it. There's plenty of room round the stadium and if they get bored bring toys or if you going to the Amex something like a Nintendo DS or something they can play games on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Am experiencing exactly the same with my son who is 3 in April, we often have a spare seat in our group of mates so was thinking of taking him as a one off experiment when the weather is warmer. Only challenge is my season ticket is in West Upper so not sure how safe this would be for him due to the crowds on the concourse and the number of steps!!

They'll all be fine. The confines of the seats might be an issue though - mine doesn't want to sit still for 45 minutes straight. Many away games work better - the further North the better - where there is far more space in the stand, as well as the concourse.

I forgot the humorous bit about the Reading game. My lad was playing with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]'s daughter's blue and white jester hat and then threw it. We were in Row B of the ESU. The hat landed in the ESL...

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
They'll all be fine. The confines of the seats might be an issue though - mine doesn't want to sit still for 45 minutes straight. Many away games work better - the further North the better - where there is far more space in the stand, as well as the concourse.

QUOTE]

Yeah that's the risk I'm thinking, he is a little runner. The way I see it, the worst that can happen is I have to leave early. My wife is also worried about the effect of the deafening noise on his delicate ear drums - needless to say she hasn't been in the West Upper recently!!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My daughter was 6 and we went to the South Stand at Goldstone - as they ran out for the second half she asked me "what team is playing this time?"

I never took her again, but her kids have been to the Amex a couple of times....and so the baton is passed on

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah that's the risk I'm thinking, he is a little runner. The way I see it, the worst that can happen is I have to leave early. My wife is also worried about the effect of the deafening noise on his delicate ear drums - needless to say she hasn't been in the West Upper recently!!

You say that but kids can be funny. I remember a game at Withdean, possibly Wolves where we battered them 4-1 or something, and it was the time when the rocket man was in full cry, one firework for one goal, two for two goals, etc. My son hates fireworks so by the end of the match he was a mess, and I was actually cursing when the 4th went in!!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I have 2 x 5 year old and 1 x 3 year old. I have taken them all to games at different times. They love the day out. The drive there, the sit down at the restaurant before walking to the ground, the treats at half time, seeing the mascot dog etc. They haven't a clue whats going on in the game but they love it when there's a goal and I pick them up and celebrate.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Took my daughter to a women's champoins league match last summer when she had turned just 7. She loved it. Wanted to do Albion this year but now looking like well be in the UK before pre-season :( Bloody wife and her courses!!!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
5 & 6 , the eldest lost interest when he got to 15/16 but the youngest became addicted.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Got taken when I was 4 to Gillingham, (early 1997) on a freezing Tuesday night v some god awful team, we lost 4-1 and I cried apparently. Dad - If you are reading this - thanks.

Envy kids growing up with the Amex now, make sure they appreciate it.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
7 was the age for my eldest lad - a tedious but vital 1-0 win over Exeter, 11 Feb 1997. A fairly dour Goldstone experience with a 5000 crowd, but at least he can say he was there!

jovett

Aug 9, 2013
The comment about a non-league game sounds a good idea as well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here