Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I want Gustavo Dominguez Poyet back

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
The stadium expansion and training ground construction have nothing to do with our 8-9m operating loss.

Correct but it is money TB has spent out of his pocket (grateful don't get me wrong) but was it messed art to spend it there and then just to complete the stadium (plenty of empty seats regardless of what the attendances say) and could lancing not have been built in stages leaving TB to invest some of what was spent on the squad.
Perhaps I'm totally wrong and I don't expect him to be chucking money around left right and centre on players

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Correct but it is money TB has spent out of his pocket (grateful don't get me wrong) but was it messed art to spend it there and then just to complete the stadium (plenty of empty seats regardless of what the attendances say) and could lancing not have been built in stages leaving TB to invest some of what was spent on the squad.
Perhaps I'm totally wrong and I don't expect him to be chucking money around left right and centre on players

I can see what you're getting at: you'd rather TB spent less on the stadium and academy and spend more on transfers.

There are a couple of reasons why he hasn't done this: Firstly, FFP limits the amount a club can lose to 8m this year. Secondly, even without FFP, investment in infrastructure is a long term strategy to enable the club to be self-sufficient. This is the right way to go about things in my opinion.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As usual Symyjym...you're talking sense...some fans want success and want it now...patience little petals..when success comes it will be substainable...

Cheers, just detatching myself from the present and stepping back and looking at next season from another angle. At least from this summer we will have a state of the art football academy to work with and this could be when the real work starts. Save now spend later when everything is in place.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's not about spending vast amounts of money at all it's just a concern of mine that we have gone balls deep on the stadium and lancing and it seems to be swallowing the income as well as the sponsorship money leaving nothing for the squad.

Perhaps the Grabban deal fell threw because we wouldn't pay enough

Any financial plan is built on sustainability. You need a stadia to attract new fans. You also need to remove the reliance on buying in players by developing your own. Southampton being the perfect example. Hence why lancing is being built.

One of the reasons why clubs don't like the January window is it tends to be a sellers market though Barnes and bridcutt show there are exceptions. The January window is littered with panic buys that come back to haunt clubs. The club have decided they have a plan regards to FFP and are sticking to it. The fact that others aren't will prove interesting, Bournemouth for instance.
It is what it is .... End of.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You could be right although I think you have more faith in the FA to carry FFP through than I do...

Maybe I do, but we would still be out bid in the market if there was no FFP. It is convenient for us to abide by it and set the bar for the FA to have something to compare other clubs to when dishing out penalties.

Aug 23, 2011
It's not about spending vast amounts of money at all it's just a concern of mine that we have gone balls deep on the stadium and lancing and it seems to be swallowing the income as well as the sponsorship money leaving nothing for the squad.

Or perhaps we don't want to overpay for players or break our wage structure. It doesn't mean we're broke. Arsenal stick to a wage structure and don't throw money at new players and they aren't doing too badly. Why pay large sums for players that may only marginally improve the team if at all

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe I do, but we would still be out bid in the market if there was no FFP. It is convenient for us to abide by it and set the bar for the FA to have something to compare other clubs to when dishing out penalties.

I actually do have faith that the Football League (it's not the FA) will implement the transfer embargoes. The fines for promoted clubs is a different matter, but I can't see anyone risking taking the FL to court when they're still members of it.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Or perhaps we don't want to overpay for players or break our wage structure. It doesn't mean we're broke. Arsenal stick to a wage structure and don't throw money at new players and they aren't doing too badly. Why pay large sums for players that may only marginally improve the team if at all

I haven't mentioned large sums once I can't imagine Grabban would have been more than say Ulloa or CMS (who incidentally we overpaid for and broke our wage structure.....) and he would have improved the team. If he is the difference between not reaching the play offs and possible final/promotion then saving a couple of grand a week for a few months would seem silly.
For the record I'm not expecting TB to throw massive cash at random players. Obviously

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I also keep in mind that Tony clearly has a spending limit on what he is prepared to sink into the albion, and we may be close to that. I'm sure he's not out of money, but spending £160 million on infrastructure, and losing 8 million per year + funding the Withdean loss is going to 'stretch' most people.

So while I'm sure he's not out of cash by any means, I understand if he wants to minimise further losses, and I share your concern to a slight degree.

Aug 23, 2011
I haven't mentioned large sums once I can't imagine Grabban would have been more than say Ulloa or CMS (who incidentally we overpaid for and broke our wage structure.....) and he would have improved the team. If he is the difference between not reaching the play offs and possible final/promotion then saving a couple of grand a week for a few months would seem silly.
For the record I'm not expecting TB to throw massive cash at random players. Obviously

How do you know we broke our wage structure for CMS? Plus once you pay one player a few grand more then you end up having to pay the others more. You don't know Grabban would have improved our team, yes he's playing well now but there's no guarantee he would necessarily continue for us.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I do know we did. And possibles because of this TB is reluctant to pay big again. Dobbie was on a wedge and we know how that turned out

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Cheers, just detatching myself from the present and stepping back and looking at next season from another angle. At least from this summer we will have a state of the art football academy to work with and this could be when the real work starts. Save now spend later when everything is in place.

This new academy that's nearly built, are people expecting too much from it? Yes it's a fantastic addition to the club and should EVENTUALLY be of great benefit but I'm concerned people are expecting it to start churning out Sterlings, Zahas and Lallanas from day 1.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

How do you know that CMS broke our wage structure? Is this fact you are certainly stating as much?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
How do you know that CMS broke our wage structure? Is this fact you are certainly stating as much?

I don't have a copy of his contract no but from what I was told at the time we did yes

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This new academy that's nearly built, are people expecting too much from it? Yes it's a fantastic addition to the club and should EVENTUALLY be of great benefit but I'm concerned people are expecting it to start churning out Sterlings, Zahas and Lallanas from day 1.

You are right that we won't have a conveyer belt of home grown talent.

It will make a massive difference actually having a proper base to train from including an enclosed pitch. Last year Gus was talking about frozen pitches being hard to train on, but this year we have had constant rain and storms which must make it equally difficult for Oscar.

At the moment the players come in for their training sessons and after that they have no place to go other than home. With the Academy they will probably spend most of the day there in a five star enviroment.

This will also mean any potential signings first point of call would be the academy and instead of us saying next year we will have a great facility, we can just show them round it instead of showing them design images.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I am not really talking about the development of players, just that it will make a massive difference actually having a proper base to train from including an enclosed pitch. Last year Gus was talking about frozen pitches being hard to train on, but this year we have had constant rain and storms which must make it equally difficult for Oscar.

At the moment the players come in for their training sessons and after that they have no place to go other than home. With the Academy they will probably spend most of the day there in a five star enviroment.

This will also mean any potential signings first point of call would be the academy and instead of us saying next year we will have a great facility, we can just show them round it instead of showing them design images.

You're plan is massively flawed in as much as you failed to mention the not so impressive weekly wage we seem to offer prospective players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here