Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I want Gustavo Dominguez Poyet back

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've always said football supporters are a stupid breed with short, goldfish memories:lolol:
Yep that's right, every game was a joy to watch under Poyet. Full on attacking football???

Who said anything about full on attacking football?

The football we played with Gus in charge was fantastic to watch, just brilliant. It's nothing to do with 'goldfish memories', I, and many, many others loved the way we played - and yes, it was often safety first possession football. Nevertheless, it was also often 'sexy'. We often made our opponents look stupid, and the best performances of that period were as good as any performances I've seen.

Full on attacking football is what Wimbledon played when they were considered the great Satans of the English game - get it forward as quickly as possible, out-muscle opponents etc.

Perhaps those with goldfish memories are those who don't remember how good those four years were.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I want to play exciting football no matter who is in charge.

Oscar is not the man to bring it in my opinion

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The club should have done anything within its power to keep him.

We would probably be on course for the Premier League now, if the club and Gus had settled their differences.

Firstly, Gus wanted to leave and there was nothing the club could have done to stop him.

Secondly, Gus would have jumped ship by now with the number of injuries Oscar has had to deal with.

Thirdly, you are guilty of looking back on the last couple of seasons with rose-tinted spectacles on.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
There is a long list of utterly shit and boring Albion performances under Gus.

Rubbish - you'll be saying that people used to bore on about not winning matches for two years once we'd fallen behind under sexy Gus, or that some people used to say there was no Plan B next! You're clearly imagining things that never happened in an unparalleled era when all fans were deliriously happy....

phoenix

May 18, 2009

We would probably be on course for the Premier League now, if the club and Gus had settled their differences.

Give it a rest!! He's gone, get over it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think most people would've liked to have kept Gus, thing is he didn't want to stay, so it really doesn't matter what we wanted. Oscar has done OK, not had a lot of luck with injuries but that happens. He has brought through some youth players that Gus probably wouldn't have done, football isn't quite as good, but then neither are Oscar's options.

I don't think we will make the play offs but to be fair the side is weaker and the division is noticeably better IMO. I think you have to give Oscar time to see what he can do, end of next season at least. What I would like to see is some clarity on the financial side, if we are keeping money back for next season or if we are skint, I don't think most will mind TB has more than earn't the right to play things as he sees fit. But I would like us to be told.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Maybe I'm getting wooshed here but the football we played under Poyet was almost identical to the football we play now. i.e. pedestrian build up and an absence of pace throughout the squad. Only difference this year is it's a tougher league, I wouldnt say we're playing much worse if at all.

I tend to agree. A lot of our possession under Gus was in our own half so the idea that we set out to be negative now seems nonsense to me. Oscar's aim is actually to get the ball forward more quickly. The trouble is that the player who was most effective at stretching the play - Buckley - has barely been able to play all season, Lua Lua struggles to complete ninety minutes and Bridge's attacking edge has been missed. The shape we play has barely changed. Oscar's had to cope with a ridiculous injury list and just got on with it. Much as I liked Gus, the inevitable moaning if he'd been faced with this season's circumstances would have driven me nuts.

Like a lot of people, I'd really like to see us change shape sometimes and play a second central striker. But the fact we don't is not an Oscar problem - it's to do with a philosophy that the system should never change. A philosophy that Gus shared. If anything, Oscar is more flexible as he has moved a winger in closer to Ulloa several times rather than keeping the width.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Maybe I'm getting wooshed here but the football we played under Poyet was almost identical to the football we play now. i.e. pedestrian build up and an absence of pace throughout the squad. Only difference this year is it's a tougher league, I wouldnt say we're playing much worse if at all.

Completely agree. Plus Oscar has had to deal with the injuries and the sub standard scouting by Burke.

Ady1964

Mar 23, 2013
Amazing we are where we are in the league with the horrendous injury list we have had!!
Give Oscar more time and he will get it right!!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think most people would've liked to have kept Gus, thing is he didn't want to stay, so it really doesn't matter what we wanted. Oscar has done OK, not had a lot of luck with injuries but that happens. He has brought through some youth players that Gus probably wouldn't have done, football isn't quite as good, but then neither are Oscar's options.

I don't think we will make the play offs but to be fair the side is weaker and the division is noticeably better IMO. I think you have to give Oscar time to see what he can do, end of next season at least. What I would like to see is some clarity on the financial side, if we are keeping money back for next season or if we are skint, I don't think most will mind TB has more than earn't the right to play things as he sees fit. But I would like us to be told.

It would make sense to hold some money back for next season and hopefully with the clubs facing fines and player embargos it may be the the right time to flout the FFP ourselves when no one else can.

Like with Poker you have to know when to go all in and this season just isn't the time because so many clubs are trying to play the winning hand at the same time.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
No no congratulations on a blinkered infant response. Yes £120m outlay is fantastic how ever the success of the club depends as much on investment in the playing staff as it does in where they play. We aren't making money at the AMEX even with substantial st numbers and very sizable sponsorship. There fore there must be an issue with the business model.

No need to get all defensive over dear tony but doesn't it seem strange that after that huge personal investment and record attendances etc etc we seemingly don't have a pot to p*ss in?

Just have a think before the next time you throw your food out of your high chair

Why would it be an infantile response. You seem to link the fact that we didn't spend significant amounts of money in the transfer window to the belief that we are skint, which isn't a valid argument considering the bid for grabban to name one that didn't come off. So in answer to your question, no it doesn't seem strange when you also take FFP into account.

As for the high chair comment ... That is infantile but if it makes you happy be my guest.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Very true and as such the club needs to be making money to afford that to an extent that promotion is achievable. Therefore was the stadium capacity expansion in its entirety needed at that time. Was £20m on a training facility needed at this time. Perhaps a scales down version to start with perhaps. Run before you can walk is all I'm trying to say

A man spends £20m of his own money on a training facility and academy that will benefit he playing side of the club for decades, and you're criticising it?!

Would you rather TB had kept the money and we were stuck using the university playing fields?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Why would it be an infantile response. You seem to link the fact that we didn't spend significant amounts of money in the transfer window to the belief that we are skint, which isn't a valid argument considering the bid for grabban to name one that didn't come off. So in answer to your question, no it doesn't seem strange when you also take FFP into account.

As for the high chair comment ... That is infantile but if it makes you happy be my guest.

It's not about spending vast amounts of money at all it's just a concern of mine that we have gone balls deep on the stadium and lancing and it seems to be swallowing the income as well as the sponsorship money leaving nothing for the squad.

Perhaps the Grabban deal fell threw because we wouldn't pay enough

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
A man spends £20m of his own money on a training facility and academy that will benefit he playing side of the club for decades, and you're criticising it?!

Would you rather TB had kept the money and we were stuck using the university playing fields?

Not at all. As I said TB investment is fantastic however I think maybe we should walk before we run. It's a huge leap for this club and comes with overheads. We are still making significant losses even with our attendances and sponsorship so all I'm saying is perhaps we should have staggered the stadium expansion and training ground outlay over a longer time......

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Really...you mean he should blackmail us into bowing down to HIS whims...he isn't and never was bigger than BAHA FC.....end of!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
all I'm saying is perhaps we should have staggered the stadium expansion and training ground outlay over a longer time......

Stupid idea, the quicker we fill the stadium the greater the return, the quicker we build the training ground the quicker we reap the rewards. Not to mention we are now coming out of a recession and the cost of building anything will rocket.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It would make sense to hold some money back for next season and hopefully with the clubs facing fines and player embargos it may be the the right time to flout the FFP ourselves when no one else can.

Like with Poker you have to know when to go all in and this season just isn't the time because so many clubs are trying to play the winning hand at the same time.
As usual Symyjym...you're talking sense...some fans want success and want it now...patience little petals..when success comes it will be substainable...

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

You could be right although I think you have more faith in the FA to carry FFP through than I do...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not at all. As I said TB investment is fantastic however I think maybe we should walk before we run. It's a huge leap for this club and comes with overheads. We are still making significant losses even with our attendances and sponsorship so all I'm saying is perhaps we should have staggered the stadium expansion and training ground outlay over a longer time......

The stadium expansion and training ground construction have nothing to do with our 8-9m operating loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here