Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DailyMail: Cause of Death - Cannabis

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It is quite frankly mind boggling that people are willing to accept that cannabis use is such a bad thing. There are risks with all drugs. Cannabis is the safest by a mile. You have more chance of dying, taking two Paracetamol for a headache. It's all relative and this sensationalist stance is just ludicrous.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ain't that the truth? The only way to get a balanced view on this subject, as with all other complicated issues, is to read the source material itself and form an opinion.

But most people only believe the opinion that suits them. It's what humans do. Mustafa on this thread said he knows better than a coroner.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
That's just not true, I'm only interested in facts - my posts remain unchanged if you want to check them. The facts I am most interested in is the toxicity of cannabis and the amounts it would take for a healthy human to overdose are barely quantifiable - you're talking 30,000 or more joints.

Even the much loved caffeine is nearly 100 times more toxic than cannabis and because of highly potent methods of consumption such as caffeine pills, espressos and even pure caffeine caffeine, intoxication is relatively common, even fatal - but I suppose that's OK, because it's legal.

The bottom line is that a case like this is unfortunate, chances are the Dr has missed something in the post mortem, or it is a one in a billion case where her body had an adverse reaction to cannabis, presumably due to external factors considering that she had been smoking for years.

It's a shame that the media jump on and make assumptions like this, because it is really time for it to be legalised, taxed and regulated for the sake of both the economy and society as a whole.

Exactly, what is to say that a cup of coffee couldn't have caused the same heart attack, it would be more likely that the cannabis was a trigger rather than the cause.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
To become a Coroner in England and Wales the applicant must have a degree in a medical or legal field, e.g., criminology or bio-medical sciences. Coroners must have had a previous career, in the UK, as a lawyer (solicitor/barrister) or physician of at least five years standing. This reflects the role of a Coroner: to determine the cause of death of a deceased in cases where the death was sudden, unexpected, occurred abroad, was suspicious in any way, or happened while the person was under the control of central authority. The Coroner, in this instance, delivered a verdict, and that verdict was based on expert medical evidence. End of.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
To become a Coroner in England and Wales the applicant must have a degree in a medical or legal field, e.g., criminology or bio-medical sciences. Coroners must have had a previous career, in the UK, as a lawyer (solicitor/barrister) or physician of at least five years standing. This reflects the role of a Coroner: to determine the cause of death of a deceased in cases where the death was sudden, unexpected, occurred abroad, was suspicious in any way, or happened while the person was under the control of central authority. The Coroner, in this instance, delivered a verdict, and that verdict was based on expert medical evidence. End of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15032614

Coroners don't always make great judgements.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15032614

Coroners don't always make great judgements.

And the Pathologist as well?

Pathologist Dr Kudair Hussein told the inquest in Bournemouth there were ‘moderate to heavy’ levels of cannabis-related chemicals in her blood.

Bournemouth coroner Mr Sheriff Payne asked Dr Hussein: ‘You are satisfied it was the effects of cannabis that caused her death?’ Dr Hussein replied: ‘Yes sir.’

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Of course the Daily Mail are going to dig up any negative story they can find. Millions die form alcohol abuse every year they don't call for that to be banned. They do sometimes call for the price to be raised so that poor people and the youth can't drink it but because Daily Mail readers like a nice malt while wearing gilets and hating the world.

For the record I don't think smoking cannabis has any particular long term benefits and it probably will do your nut in after a while. It will likely give you cancer too so the claims that it reduces tumours? I am very sceptical of that claim. In fact I'm calling bullshit on that one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My only comment on this is that the grass sold since the late 90's onwards is much much stronger than the hash that was around in the 70's. Smoking cannabis resin and grass in those days had a much more mellow effect imo. Haven't touched the stuff in over 10 years though :shrug:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I would imagine, that after over 30 years of smoking grass...id have quite a bit of cannabis related chemicals in my blood, but passed medical last year with flying colours...

Is the issue here the cannabis in the womans blood, or her physical condition in the first place?
Its a bit of a coincidence, that after a state in the US legalizes it....a person....either the first or second in recorded history, dies of 'cannabis'.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I would imagine, that after over 30 years of smoking grass...id have quite a bit of cannabis related chemicals in my blood, but passed medical last year with flying colours...

Extremely dangerous thinking. Winnie Langley smoked for 95 years and only gave up when she couldn't see the end of the match

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...after-puffing-on-cigarettes-for-95-years.html

On the other hand, my grandad died at the age of 56 because of smoking. Just because you're okay doesn't make smoking cannabis safe.

Its a bit of a coincidence, that after a state in the US legalizes it....a person....either the first or second in recorded history, dies of 'cannabis'.

Before cancer was known about, no-one died from cancer, it was put down to other reasons and then as more was known about cancer the number of people identified as cancer victims increased. Clearly the science is new in comparison to studies into smoking tobacco and it may be that cannabis could be more harmful in the long-term than first thought because the symptoms were attributed to other reasons. I'm not saying that it is dangerous but I definitely wouldn't say it is safe generally because you have passed a medical.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I seriously believe its the person, rather the the drug of choice...drink, grass, whatever...

Not all people can drink
Not all people can smoke
Not all people can take things like xtc.

Some people die of bee stings...some people die from peanuts...

Ive known one person who became mentally ill, whilst smoking grass...whether grass was the cause, well, I doubt it...
Like I say, I belive its down to the individuals constitution as to what that person can safely consume and what they cant..

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I seriously believe its the person, rather the the drug of choice...drink, grass, whatever...

Not all people can drink
Not all people can smoke
Not all people can take things like xtc.

Some people die of bee stings...some people die from peanuts...

Ive known one person who became mentally ill, whilst smoking grass...whether grass was the cause, well, I doubt it...
Like I say, I belive its down to the individuals constitution as to what that person can safely consume and what they cant..

So...by that logic cigarettes, alcohol and hard drugs are as dangerous or as benign as cannabis. Of course it's different for each person but that doesn't mean the potential harm should be dismissed merely as a by-product of the individual's constitution.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Pretty much yes... I believe that...especially where cannabis is concerned.
There is 'potential' harm with anything we consume really.
There have been deaths from drink...many more have not died.
there have been two recorded deaths from cannabis...many more have not died.
There have been a few deaths relating to XTC...many more have not died..
None of them are particularly good for you... but you could say that about butter and cream as well...chlorestorol kills...
Personally, im glad I smoke grass rather than drink, as drunk people are particularly dangerous, and I dont feel that vibe
with people smoking grass...
A freak death, IF due to Cannabis, will be treated by me as a 'freak' death..
and this issue is a freak death.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
None of them are particularly good for you... but you could say that about butter and cream as well...chlorestorol kills...
Personally, im glad I smoke grass rather than drink, as drunk people are particularly dangerous, and I dont feel that vibe

but..but..take smoking. Yes, some people live a long and happy life, others don't but the long-term effects of smoking tobacco are indisputably bad. Effects of long-term cannabis use are not well-known at the moment although there does seem to be a strong link to psychosis - not surprising really as cannabis is a mood-altering drug. I've got no beef with anyone who wants to smoke weed but to claim that there are no inherent bad effects or risks is extremely dangerous thinking. You're a willing user so not looking at it either objectively or with a scientist's eyes.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
and this issue is a freak death.

This post proves my earlier point. People just choose to believe the opinion that suits their philosophy. It can't do you any good so why not stop?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im not saying there are no bad effects or risks...for some people, certain substances that they consume are really not good for them...thats how it is...
but im going to go with percentages here..... there have been two supposedly cannabis related recorded deaths.....two
People have been studying Cannabis for decades now, its not a new thing, and there are going to be some studies saying its lethal, and some saying its ok..
For me, and everybody I know, its been a positive experience, with no ill effects.
Like I said earlier, a friend developed mental illness, but would be a tough case to prove it was cannabis that caused it.

oh yeah, and this was in the Mail ;-D

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
This post proves my earlier point. People just choose to believe the opinion that suits their philosophy. It can't do you any good so why not stop?

Doesnt do me any good? I love being stoned.
Why dont people stop drinking? They enjoy it.
Why dont people stop smoking cigs? They enjoy it.
Why dont people stop smoking cannabis? They enjoy it.

Of course it suits my philosophy, but the evidence is well and truly on my side at this moment in time.
Ive lived in Holland, working in technical positions, and everybody I was working with tended to be smokers.
Ive lived here for almost 9 years, most of the people in our group at work smoke grass.
Its a vice, that im prepared to take the risk with.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Some experts say that there is no such thing as mental illness. But people just believe what suits their lifestyle and reduces their feelings of guilt.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here