Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DailyMail: Cause of Death - Cannabis

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ok, it does seem that, perhaps with some disagreement over semantics, we're in agreement. Do you accept an assertion I made in a previous post in this thread that patients who have been clinically diagnosed as having had at least one true psychotic episode are 6-8 times more likely to have been recent cannabis users than controls? I readily concede that this fact doesn't mean that there is necessarily a causal link between cannabis use and later diagnosis as psychotic, even though the vast majority of researchers and medics who work in the field believe it does, at least in part.

Well I think that someone who is struggling in life is quite likely to want to try and 'mask' their pain somewhat so yes I would expect some sort of correlation between cannabis and psychosis as well as a link with alcohol and the condition as well.
I couldn't possibly say for sure that continued use of the drug DOES NOT worsen episodes but whether it is the trigger I don't necessarily think so.
Most of the people I know who have struggled with drugs generally have been the ones who are trying to mask and forget rather than the people who just use them recreationally to have a good time. Obviously that's simplifying it somewhat though Goldstone.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
A well reasoned argument sir. I've seen cannabis ruin lives, so I think I'm entitled to my opinions.

Calling out people with a different viewpoint to yours on this as 'junkies' is not having an opinion, it's being a moron of the highest order. There's no point trying to argue with people who make statements like that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yep, and my g/f is a research psychologist who, inter alia, interviews patients with psychosis (and controls). One of the strongest indicators for psychosis is heavy &/or prolonged use of cannabis. It's roughly the same odds ratio as suffering childhood sexual abuse.

i would genuinely be interested to read this research, Is it available anywhere?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A well reasoned argument sir. I've seen cannabis ruin lives, so I think I'm entitled to my opinions.

"Wow, Spot the junkies"

This is your idea of an opinion? People have fought and died for your right to express and 'opinion' and share your 'well reasoned argument'.

Bit of a waste of time in this case.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The evidence/ research is out there it's part of the reason why you get prescribed medicinal marijuana in the states. Of course any evidence that evenly remotely suggests cannabis to have positive effects is highly scrutinised because of negative perception surrounding the drug. As for myself being under the influence I can't comment. I haven't touched the stuff for years.

No links then!

Well if cannabis can kill you then I would have thought my mate who panicked and swallowed a full 8th many years ago just before going through customs on his way back from Amsterdam should surely have perished. I know he slept well that night though.
Amazing that this is the first recorded death by cannabis. You might have thought there would have been one before in the last 50 to 60 years in this country.

Not a very clever statement. It's like those that say 'my grandad smoked 20 a day for 70 years and never got cancer' and on that basis try to suggest that smoking has never caused cancer.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
No links then!

Do your own research! Im not that fussed if you agree with me or not so I'm not going to waste my evening scouring the internet to try and get you to change your opinion

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No links then!

Not a very clever statement. It's like those that say 'my grandad smoked 20 a day for 70 years and never got cancer' and on that basis try to suggest that smoking has never caused cancer.

Don't be so stupid. There isn't a credible argument anywhere that smoking doesn't cause cancer. As you love your evidence and proof I shall await your links to deaths caused by a cannabis overdose. Your arguments are so poor at times I really do wonder about you. None of my arguments have mentioned tobacco. I would never advocate even putting it in a joint.......... Blunts mate blunts.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sadly I saw a life long friend's life spiral downwards from the moment he started using cannabis. It turned an outgoing happy person into a dark reclusive type.

For a large amount of people it won't have much of an adverse effect.

For my friend we found him hanging from a rope.

It's nothing more than playing russian roulette with ones life. Five times out of six you'll be fine, the sixth person will suffer.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sadly I saw a life long friend's life spiral downwards from the moment he started using cannabis. It turned an outgoing happy person into a dark reclusive type.

It's nothing more than playing russian roulette with ones life. Five times out of six you'll be fine, the sixth person will suffer.
I really don't believe the chances are any greater than for alcohol, and there are many positives, from proven medical uses to creative inspiration. Whereas alcohol has more negatives too: addiction, social damage and violence.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I used to think that legalising drugs was a good idea, but it would only work if they were given away free or available very cheaply... I.e. not taxed to discourage usage.

Because of the nature of the product, the black market will ALWAYS step in if they can offer it at a cheaper price as is the case with Cigarettes and Alcohol.

The black market in the above is worth billions and just because the quality of the legal version is controlled it has no effect on the quality of the illegal version.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't be so stupid. There isn't a credible argument anywhere that smoking doesn't cause cancer. As you love your evidence and proof I shall await your links to deaths caused by a cannabis overdose. Your arguments are so poor at times I really do wonder about you. None of my arguments have mentioned tobacco. I would never advocate even putting it in a joint.......... Blunts mate blunts.

I don't claim to have evidence and never have. Don't think I was putting an argument one way or another, just hoping that those that did backed them up with evidence. The point you made, or implied, was that because the coroners verdict said cannabis killed then your mate should be dead. My retort was that smoking doesn't kill everyone that uses it. In other words, just because there are many that use cannabis doesn't preclude it from being the cause of death in this case. Just as with alcohol, my drug of choice if you like, there are plenty of people that drink and get on with their lives yet there are others that become dependent on it!

Seems with cannabis use (and this isn't aimed at you) that those that take it recreationally seem to feel threatened when stories like this come out and then seek to justify if with stories of people with debilitating pain using and, as in the case of Midnight Rendezvous, stories of its miraculous properties against cancer which he has so far failed to back up. My view is that I have no complaints if it is used medically and under prescription but at the moment that isn't allowed. Equally, if it was made legal then maybe there would be more control over its strength and more importantly its distribution.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I've seen this pattern in people that have not taken cannabis. As someone says cannabis exacerbates certain introverted and intelligent personalitiy types called "the stoner" . It is not very common (less than 0.3% of all people). Most of the hashish devotees (grass nowadays) who attract the attention of mental health authorities (says the nurse in the pub) are just plain idiots (my opinion) that are just a bit of a nuisance at times (my opinion). That cuts out a job for me in the mental care racket. They would be idiots, cannabis or not.

The conversation with the nurse started by him asking me how much it costs nowadays. I did not have a clue.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I have quite a bit of experience with cannaibis.
Ive smoked every day since November 1979. Im in full time employment in a technical position.
Yes, ive seen people develop mental illness whilst smoking cannabis, but i dont believe that cannabis was the cause.
It didnt help, but I believe there were underlying factors.
Ive seen a lot more people taken by dritnk. A serious amount of people.
I believe there were underlying factors.
Nobody 'starts' with cannabis...it follows drink, and cigarettes mostly.
Some people like booze, some people prefer grass.
Many people die as a result of booze.
A person dying from cannabis is headline news.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here