Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer - dire

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Greer just got away with two other cock ups when he got caught in possession. He was an accident waiting to happen today. It even infected the normally reliable Upson who had a below par game. It didn't help that Bruno and Ward were erratic too. I don't like to say it but we miss the assurance of Bridcutt sitting in front of the back four, Andrews is an average replacement.

I would also give some credit to Watford who sussed that Greer is vulnerable under pressure and closed him down fast. They all piled forward much faster than us. No doubt other teams will see the Watford goals today were largely of our own making and would be daft not to gang up on our back four.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Fully agree that Greer was woeful today, but some of the comments on this thread are massively OTT. On the whole GG has been bloody good for us and the partnership with Upson very solid. GG is absolutely central to the way we play, and has been since he arrived. So when he has a bad game, it is very noticeable and has a big impact on the game. For what it's worth, I thought Upson was poor today too, and Andrews - so GG is far from being the only culprit.

That said, Greer and Upson cannot go on forever and they need to bring Dunk through - or if he is not good enough, get someone else.

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
If someone has a top of the range car and never drives it what's the point, the car is not doing what it was made for!! LD needs to play a few games to show the doubting people he is as good if not better than he was. If like the car why have that expense and not use it?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Watford had quick skilful players throughout their midfield. They were all over our ageing defence like a rash and kept up the pressure for 90 minutes. They played high up the pitch and we really struggled to get decent ball out of our defence all game. What I'm saying is give some credit to Watford. Today our defence, which in fairness has been pretty sound up until now, got sussed.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Every team needs a spine to it. PIG, Ince and Ulloa are fit for purpose but Greer certainly is not. He's looked slow and weak all season with Upson generally playing well we have got away with it on many occasions imo.
Watching Watford against Forest it was clear Watford are comfortable pressing high up the pitch but very suspect when being pressed. Our style is to sit deep which just invites pressure and thus played into Watford's hands. The coaching staff must take some of the blame for that as all the clues were there from Thursday nights game.
Greer is slow and ponderous against quick tricky players and gets turned easily. He holds the line far to deep so we end up playing possession football in our own third.

We need to get the ball forward into the final third quicker, but i'm not condoning hoof-ball, just advocating a higher line and forward passing.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Fully agree that Greer was woeful today, but some of the comments on this thread are massively OTT. On the whole GG has been bloody good for us and the partnership with Upson very solid. GG is absolutely central to the way we play, and has been since he arrived. So when he has a bad game, it is very noticeable and has a big impact on the game. For what it's worth, I thought Upson was poor today too, and Andrews - so GG is far from being the only culprit.

That said, Greer and Upson cannot go on forever and they need to bring Dunk through - or if he is not good enough, get someone else.
Massively agree with this,greer had a nightmare but has been superb week in week out and solid with Matty Upson but both were poor today but they were not alone

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised at the level of criticism for Greer here. Our defensive records has been good under both Gus and Oscar, Greer's form might be off now but he's been good in this division.

The club has produced decent young centre-backs in Hall and Elphick, yet they've left. We're being told the new training facility will enable us to produce good young players but we've been doing that and letting them go.

I think we've lost too many big personalities at the club and others need to step up to the plate. We need to win the next 2 matches or the season may have gone.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
But Greer is the captain. A good captain will still lead the team even if they are having a poor game. Even the great Brian Horton had his off days but never failed to lead the team. Seems like we need some inspiration.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But Greer is the captain. A good captain will still lead the team even if they are having a poor game. Even the great Brian Horton had his off days but never failed to lead the team. Seems like we need some inspiration.

Didn't Horton oversee our glory years? Was that because of his captaincy or because we offered silly contracts to good players or somewhere in between?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Greer is 34 he's not suddenly going to become Roy Keane at this stage of his career. I think Oscar needs to use more of the weapons at his disposal in attack to change our fortunes.

When teams stop scoring heads drop at 1-0 and this team has never been good at coming from behind to win. We've brought in Obika and Spanish Rodney so give them a start.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Didn't Horton oversee our glory years? Was that because of his captaincy or because we offered silly contracts to good players or somewhere in between?

Horton joined us in the 3rd division from Port Vale. He led the side, drove the players, made sure our players were up to the fight and would not be bullied, made sure the players supported eachother, as a team and also made sure players did not fail through lack of effort.

Other inspirational captains were Foster, Cullip, & Oatway. do we have such a character now? Not sure GG fits the bill.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Our problem today was not Gordon Greer.

It was attempting to play tippy tappy football without the organisation. Poyet ALWAYS had us organised, under Oscar we don't have the same understanding across the back 5/6.

Today was a disgrace. One of the worst displays I've seen in years.

Oscar has some serious questions to answer and I'll be watching the Donny game expecting some answers.

Worse than Bristol City last year? Or the last time we were terrible at Watford under Gus ?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
The football being played this season actually reminds me of the Mark McGhee era. Very defensive and hoof it up to a big striker with only average players in the midfield.

Not saying that's the truth, just what it feels like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here