Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a British manager and 4-4-2

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
what ridiculous statement was that ? if, indeed , you are in Malta, think you've been spending too much time in 'the gut' ??
merely made the point that Leicester (as you mentioned them) , on current form, will win more matches than they'll lose .

This ridiculous statement:
"if you're thinking about promotion, they're all 'must win' games !"

Agreed every game is important! But teams do lose sometimes and we just had 3 away games against 3 good sides.(Watford ought to have gone up last season)

PS. The Gut finished in the 70s it's called Straight Street and is not full of pub type bars but restaurants and wine bars.(We don't see many ships in the harbour now, apart from cruise liners.)

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
It's likely Lualua wasn't fit to start and was only there in case someone came off injured. Oscar can see how important he is, I doubt he'd start him on the bench if he was 100% fit.
You have more faith in Garcia than I do then.
Lua Lua was fit but simply not selected.
Garcia wants to play Orlandi (fair enough he is a great player - just not a left winger) and as Lopez clearly has something over him it's Lua Lua that gets dropped.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Don't think we will get out of this league playing under a foreign manager. Think the foreign style works in the prem but not in the championship .

But mysteriously, as we know, the foreign style does work in League one. What is it with you and Rev, have you got terminal cancer? Have some patience, look how long it took Swansea to get out of this league playing the right way and not over spending...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It is not time for a British manager and 4-4-2. Seagulls1984 merely wants these things. Seagulls1984 and all others that articulate this nonsense on NSC haven't been paying attention.
It is, rather, time for Oscar and 4-3-3. Which is what we have, which is good. It is as it is, and as it should be.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Xenophobe

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not necessarily. Only di Matteo has managed it recently. Here's a list of the managers that have taken teams up in the last 5 years

Mackay
Holloway (twice ffs)
Allardyce
Bruce
Lambert
Warnock
Coyle
McLeish
McCarthy

And here are the names of the managers of the current top 7 teams

Pearson, Dyche, Redknapp, Davies, Adkins, Mclaren, McCarthy.

Do you notice a trend? Careful before you call someone brainless - the facts are against you.

Virtually all of these have managed to work out an effective way to play with 2 up front.

I think you're right, and if you take a look at the managers of the bottom ten clubs you find

Gary Johnson
Danny Wilson
Chris Powell
Ian Holloway
Dogging Freedman
Paul Dickov
Lee Clark
Stuart Gray
Barry Ferguson
Mark Robins......all ten of them British. What more proof do you need that to get out of this division you need a British manager?

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
Are you seriously saying that if Barcelona were put in the Championship they would ONLY get out playing 442 with a British manager!? :laugh::laugh::wozza:

This ........sooooo many British managers are behind the times, as the games moved on ....the only good ones are already working for some reason !

Just needs to be more emphasis on actually playing a 4-3-3 as apposed to a defensive minded 4-3-3 which is a 4-5-1 and isolates the forward !!!!

So you end up Having lots of possession, with nothing to show for it .
Buckley and lua lua next to ulloa would make us much more dangerous......current team is lacking pace with the exception of lua lua

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The brilliantly moronic aspect of this thread is.....there has been HARDLY ANY foreign managers in the Championship AT ALL. Just BASIC maths/odds calculation would show that the British managers get promoted more......because they are the ones who are managing.

I can only really think of OG(current), Gus(did a great job in my vioew), Zola(did a good job), Sousa(Leicester and QPR, mental clubs who sacked qucikly), Erikkson(Leicester, see Sousa), New Watford chap, MARTINEZ,.

I'm sure there will be a few others but there's been barely ANY. To make a difinitve statement when 99% of the managers are British anyway is just silly.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Don't think we will get out of this league playing under a foreign manager. Think the foreign style works in the prem but not in the championship .

Ridiculous.

I think you're right, and if you take a look at the managers of the bottom ten clubs you find

Gary Johnson
Danny Wilson
Chris Powell
Ian Holloway
Dogging Freedman
Paul Dickov
Lee Clark
Stuart Gray
Barry Ferguson
Mark Robins......all ten of them British. What more proof do you need that to get out of this division you need a British manager?

I'm not so sure. Look at the managers of teams at the top of League 1;

Mark Warburton
Kenny Jackett
Russell Slade
Simon Grayson
Steve Evans
Dean Smith
Darren Ferguson
Mark Cooper
Micky Adams
Karl Robinson.

They are all British and three of them will probably be getting INTO the division.

Just to point out how ridiculous this is - according to the League Managers Association, there are 89 FL clubs currently with managers. From my scan of the list 14 are foreign (so 75 British or Irish). Of those 4 are in the Championship (Garcia, Karanka, Rosler and Sannino), and all are in their first season in charge. Of the 10 in the Premier League, only Poyet and Martinez managed in the Football League.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This ........sooooo many British managers are behind the times, as the games moved on ....the only good ones are already working for some reason !

Just needs to be more emphasis on actually playing a 4-3-3 as apposed to a defensive minded 4-3-3 which is a 4-5-1 and isolates the forward !!!!

So you end up Having lots of possession, with nothing to show for it .
Buckley and lua lua next to ulloa would make us much more dangerous......current team is lacking pace with the exception of lua lua

THis. But Oscar needs to inject some pace NOW.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I think it's now obvious to us all that not only does Mr Bloom read NSC but he's also influenced by it.

This thread appears, next thing you know Joe Kinnear becomes available...coincidence?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here