Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a British manager and 4-4-2

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I appreciate all the clamour for 2 up top. and also the reason why this is an outdated style that has been proved not to work, but surely the problem isn't the formation, but the players used within it.
4-3-3/4-2-3-1 can work fine if the right players are involved, 2 wide pacey midfielders and some creativity and support for the lone striker and you're laughing....

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
When teams come to the Amex and play two strikers, I sometimes wonder why we don't have the confidence to. If we're losing a game why not try it, if I remember against Barnsley, when we lost, we replaced Barnes with Lita. Just an observation but why not. We have struggled to score goals for two and half seasons now in the Championship something is not right with our formation.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I appreciate all the clamour for 2 up top. and also the reason why this is an outdated style that has been proved not to work, but surely the problem isn't the formation, but the players used within it.
4-3-3/4-2-3-1 can work fine if the right players are involved, 2 wide pacey midfielders and some creativity and support for the lone striker and you're laughing....

Clearly that outdated style is not working at Manchester City and Liverpool? :shootself

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I do agree with the OP. Our style is far more suited to the Prem than the Championship. We are far too negative at home with our formation - our away games haven't been too bad - but we have to find a way to play two up front.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
You are brainless
Not necessarily. Only di Matteo has managed it recently. Here's a list of the managers that have taken teams up in the last 5 years

Mackay
Holloway (twice ffs)
Allardyce
Bruce
Lambert
Warnock
Coyle
McLeish
McCarthy

And here are the names of the managers of the current top 7 teams

Pearson, Dyche, Redknapp, Davies, Adkins, Mclaren, McCarthy.

Do you notice a trend? Careful before you call someone brainless - the facts are against you.

Virtually all of these have managed to work out an effective way to play with 2 up front.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
4-4-2 yes, if we are ever to get promotion we have to score goals, it's that simple.
It's ok playing the lone striker, keeping it tight and trying to nick a breakaway goal if you have a strong defence, we don't.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
4-4-2. Atletico Madrid are probably the most effective football team in Europe this season - as I write this they have just gone top of the Spanish League and have only 1 defeat this season in 36 games.

They play 4-4-2 every game, home or away. Admittedly, this is not 4-4-2 in the traditional Alf-Ramsey-esque sense, however 4-4-2 it certainly is. Formation isn't everything.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here's a list of the managers that have taken teams up in the last 5 years

Mackay
Holloway (twice ffs)
Allardyce
Bruce
Lambert
Warnock
Coyle
McLeish
McCarthy

This is only 10 counting Holloway twice. Who were the other 5?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I was just picking up on your ridiculous statement you idiot.

what ridiculous statement was that ? if, indeed , you are in Malta, think you've been spending too much time in 'the gut' ??
merely made the point that Leicester (as you mentioned them) , on current form, will win more matches than they'll lose .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here