Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a British manager and 4-4-2

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Why the love for 4-4-2? It's too rigid a formation, witness how Spurs got ripped to shreds playing it by Man City the other night and England have been pulled apart in several World Cups using it.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
When were so many of our own such complete and utter tossers :lol: thank god TB has a vision of where and how he wants the club to be in the not too distant future

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Thing is I'm not sure what are identity is. Under Poyet we had an identity (like it or not) and played a particular brand of football.
We were told Oscar was brought in to continue this but in a more attacking manner.
I have seen no evidence of either continuing that style or attacking more.

With Hoskins and CMS out has he been given a chance, and people can point to the loan strikers that have been brought in saying why has he not played them. However we don't see the training ground sessions and how they blend / work with our players, just because we get them in does not mean they have to be played or will work. That's a different arguement though about scouting etc

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
We lost.

Quick, sack everybody.

Mortgage the ground.

Stop work on the training complex.

Send for Sam Allardyce.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Seriously daft - we create chances, we hit the woodwork often we score much less often.

We need to make sure we score from a much higher % of the chances and that probably required a decent loan window with the likes of Wickham coming in. Oscar now has to make the players he has convert chances - no idea how, but it isn't my job, but he has to do it.

The defence usually look decent but were dire today and that didn't help.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Don't blame the formation. Blame the players and/or selection. You do need a bit of pace in the front 3 to get in behind defences. Today we had possibly the slowest front 3 it is possible to play and no one attempting to get forward from midfield. Not going to score many like that.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Don't blame the formation. Blame the players and/or selection. You do need a bit of pace in the front 3 to get in behind defences. Today we had possibly the slowest front 3 it is possible to play and no one attempting to get forward from midfield. Not going to score many like that.
Agreed - and for that the buck stops with Oscar.
We had March and Lua Lua on the bench but in a must win game we play with no pace out wide.
Poor selction, poor tactics.

Dec 29, 2011
Agreed - and for that the buck stops with Oscar.
We had March and Lua Lua on the bench but in a must win game we play with no pace out wide.
Poor selction, poor tactics.

It's likely Lualua wasn't fit to start and was only there in case someone came off injured. Oscar can see how important he is, I doubt he'd start him on the bench if he was 100% fit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why the love for 4-4-2? It's too rigid a formation, witness how spurs got ripped to shreds playing it by man city the other night and england have been pulled apart in several world cups using it.

this

Christ on a bike, give Oscar time he is in his first season getting used the Championship and English football whilst the club are trying to build a philosophy, style and identity of our own within the constraints of financial fair play. this was and has been all about the long game. A new training ground up and runing next season and a manager who will have a season of adjustment under his belt, we will move forward. I want some stability at the club in terms of management and Tony and Oscar are the two I trust.

What is so frustrating is that a team that can't score goals & the manager persists with one up front. 2 league goals in 2014 is awful by any definition from 5 league games?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What is so frustrating is that a team that can't score goals & the manager persists with one up front. 2 league goals in 2014 is awful by any definition from 5 league games?

It's easy to say we need another striker but let's not forget midfielders are allowed to score as well. And if two are not scoring enough do you get three? Where do you stop?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We have some seriously thick supporters. Don't win for a few games, including 3 extremely difficult away games & we get this. That's why I never usually come on this site when we lose. It's pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here