Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet verdict

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Saw Bridcutt played really well yesterday in the TW Derby. Seeing him start so well and Poyet doing so well made me think we can now judge better the Poyet years. Up until now I've largely ignored his progress concentrating instead on the Albion.

Squad selection

He managed to pick some players like Bridcutt and turn him into a star
He attracted established stars like Vicente, Upson, Kuszczak and Bridge
He fell out with some key players like Forster and Murray
He failed to get the best out of strikers like Wood, Vokes, CMS
Mixed record with young players (like Dunk).

Tactics

Great team plan for attractive football
Very successful
Sometimes inflexible

Personality

Engaging and inspirational
A media whore
Overly ambitious
Selfish

Albion legacy

It will be hard to retain a team like the one he built, but OG is doing well.
Should be remembered as a great Albion manager
Should not be forgiven for the way he left and his role in the play off debacle
He was at least in part right about the clubs lack of commitment to invest in the team. Regardless of whether right or wrong)

Future

Will go far in football if he learns to curb his tongue and be more flexible. Maybe critically he needs to get the best out of strikers

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
There are certain managers that are best forgotten, he's not one of them. I wouldn't start a thread about it though

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why are people so surprised we still talk about him? We still talk about peter ward, bobby Zamora, Micky Adams, mark McGhee, Dean Wilkins, leon knight, and so on.

He is and always will be part of our history, we chat ignore that or pretend he doesn't exist just because you don't like how it ended.

Just like so many people from our history who had notable periods with us, there will be constant interest in them, comparisons to current people in their position, ranking with everyone who has had that positions, wistful reminiscence of that time, an interest in how one of ours is getting on elsewhere, etc.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I really wish we could just forget about him.

He's definitely shaped us, from where we were 5 years ago.

The shitty thing is that he should have stayed and finished the project, and got us into the premier league!

I just can't wait for the day he returns to the Amex, and see the reaction he gets :wink:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
agreed Acker, but, like you, can't forgive/forget the manner we surrendered in the play-off semi final (regardless of who we were playing)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
agreed Acker, but, like you, can't forgive/forget the manner we surrendered in the play-off semi final (regardless of who we were playing)

Nor can I and I will never do so.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The most disappointing thing for me was that he pushed his self proclaimed ceiling up during the last 3 months of last season, then tamely saw it crash down in one match. It was bizarre, frankly. Good luck to him, though.

I do think Oscar is more likely to accept the challenge we offer and get the best out of everyone in the squad.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Why are people so surprised we still talk about him? We still talk about peter ward, bobby Zamora, Micky Adams, mark McGhee, Dean Wilkins, leon knight, and so on.

He is and always will be part of our history, we chat ignore that or pretend he doesn't exist just because you don't like how it ended.

Just like so many people from our history who had notable periods with us, there will be constant interest in them, comparisons to current people in their position, ranking with everyone who has had that positions, wistful reminiscence of that time, an interest in how one of ours is getting on elsewhere, etc.

Not a problem with that, however do we really need half a dozen threads? Let's have one

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He was a fantastic manager - one of our best. And all the time he's on the up, he'll be good for Sunderland. It's when they hit a rocky patch (maybe not this season now) that the fun will start. I'm sure when he begins shooting his mouth off because things are going against him, we'll all feel a lot better.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here