Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oscar Interview In The Mirror

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Given time I can see Oscar doing a great job here, Just a shame people seem to have more interest in our previous manager than they do Oscar.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
What's this? A thread about Oscar, our manager. That really won't do

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyone else see the title and get an image of Oscar talking to himself in the bathroom mirror?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The way he talks there does make me hopeful that he's perfectly happy working within the FFP constraints and building steadily through the training centre. Sometimes I've had a different impression. He's not helped by that Spanish woman on Twitter who's always moaning about the budget/his hands being tied etc

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That is great, but he'll need time. Are we patient enough?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The way he talks there does make me hopeful that he's perfectly happy working within the FFP constraints and building steadily through the training centre. Sometimes I've had a different impression. He's not helped by that Spanish woman on Twitter who's always moaning about the budget/his hands being tied etc

I think he is happier and is more likely to get the best out of everyone in the squad.

I am. And I am pretty sure TB is.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Given what he said about his inexperience with budgets when he first joined, it always looked likely that he would want to grow and coach young talent rather than spend big (unlike some other managers). I think that Shoreham could prove to be the best investment we have ever made, and that was critical in recruiting Oscar.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Given time I can see Oscar doing a great job here, Just a shame people seem to have more interest in our previous manager than they do Oscar.

100% this. The Poyet Pram with Little Liam Bridcutt tucked up in it has wheeled off, all of it's toys strewn out along the A23, M23, M25 and along all roads north to Sunderland and the sooner it's forgotten the better.

Viva Oscar. The ceiling has yet to be hit.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
many years ago my son went to the Netherlands with a youth team ........they won every match but he was most impressed with their training facilities to his amazement they had just about everything you could need.
one instance was they took their own footballs for training and were about to use them when they were shown a cupboard full of footballs, then taken to an indoor pitch (full size) the opposing teams spent hours learning technical stuff every player had his own football and in some instances his own trainer.
this was in the 80's
they were well in front of us even then and it seems the Spanish have followed on from them

EDIT
and Lancing could save our club millions
and could make us millions too

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

My main concern is whether Oscar is patient enough. I have no doubt he is the right man for the job.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Who will do the first Cruyff turn?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
100% this. The Poyet Pram with Little Liam Bridcutt tucked up in it has wheeled off, all of it's toys strewn out along the A23, M23, M25 and along all roads north to Sunderland and the sooner it's forgotten the better.

Viva Oscar. The ceiling has yet to be hit.

Genuine lol

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Despite what I said in the "Are you renewing your season ticket?" thread (which was really about economic reality forcing some people to decide on whether to renew based on their view of the club's ambition, not actually a dig at the club), I think this article is very encouraging, and shows that Oscar might well be prepared to stick around for a while. He also seems to realise that he is learning too - remember Gus had already had quite a lot of experience as an assistant before he came to us.

Another point (and I was disappointed by our transfer dealings, so perhaps I'm arguing against myself here) is that I think we have been spoilt over the past few years. I would have been quite content to have got promotion from League One in our first season at the Amex. I expected us to struggle in our first season in the Championship, and certainly not to be seriously challenging for promotion in our second season. Perhaps we got a little bit carried away last season, and there is still a fair bit of catching up to do from the Withdean era.

My only worry is that if the Championship fills up with ex-Premiership sides and we continue to be outbid for players, Oscar might get frustrated - I think he would clearly like greater options for wide players, and he has spoken of wanting a fast Centre Half. While he will not tout himself for every job going (didn't he turn down Osasuna?), if one of the bigger Spanish sides that have fallen on hard times, such as Valencia, were to replace their coach, I would have thought he would be a clear candidate.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Its great to have whats looks like a good manager who shares our's and Bloom's vision and not hearing how one day he will want away to another club.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It would be good if he put his " score as many goals as possible " mantra into operation now after 27 games. We heard that soundbite at the start when he was heralded as the greatest hope for the future of football.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It would be good if he put his " score as many goals as possible " mantra into operation now after 27 games. We heard that soundbite at the start when he was heralded as the greatest hope for the future of football.

Fortunately, in my opinion anyway, his team does the talking and given the shitstorm he walked into and the injuries and Bridcutt sulk, it's been better than I expected. The man is classy, again just IMO, I can wait whilst he evolves the team.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here