Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fans all gushing about Gus - Deja Vu, anyone?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is hardly surprising they are gushing about him he is doing a fantastic job for them and is a fantastic manager. As Icy says with players who can stick the ball away he will get results and get them with flair and a definite footballing identity.

Pity he didn't see the job through with us but he was always destined for the top league so I say good luck to him. I find it hard to hold a grudge as I don't really know what happened. Often things just don't work out, I can live with that and will follow his career with interest. As I do all and any of our ex players and managers.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It just shows what a poor a coach Di Canio was.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Good luck to Gus, Tanno, Charlie and Liam, I thank them for the job they did with us but couldn't give 2 hoots about how they do with Sunderland! All a about Oscar now for me!

I do find this a strange response. For me, my favourite-ever manager has been sacked and my favourite-ever player has been sold, and so to just forget about them overnight is not a normal reaction. To fully support a team you do invest some of your soul in these people that you watch week-in week-out, which explains both the vitriol from some like Icy as it does the continued admiration from me. For you to not care rather suggests you were watching from afar and not really caring too much the last three years, yet I'm sure that's not true :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do find this a strange response. For me, my favourite-ever manager has been sacked and my favourite-ever player has been sold, and so to just forget about them overnight is not a normal reaction. To fully support a team you do invest some of your soul in these people that you watch week-in week-out, which explains both the vitriol from some like Icy as it does the continued admiration from me. For you to not care rather suggests you were watching from afar and not really caring too much the last three years, yet I'm sure that's not true :shrug:

I think suggesting I am vitriolic is probably a little strong, unless losing respect for Poyet, as a man, can be can be seen as that? I think he owed us a better ending than we got and IMO he has destabilised the club since the play off 2nd leg. I will never be able to brush that aside even if he ends up winning the Champion's League. I am a Brighton fan not a Poyet fan but for a while the two went beautifully hand in hand.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Poyet covering his back saying "Bridcutt putting in a transfer request is nothing to do with me"

Fecking weasel

I think suggesting I am vitriolic is probably a little strong, ..... I will never be able to brush that aside even if he ends up winning the Champion's League. I am a Brighton fan not a Poyet fan but for a while the two went beautifully hand in hand.

Just pointing out that passions are, rightly, raised towards a manager that spends so much time at a club, at such a key period in our history. Love and hatred are just two sides of the same coin. Can't see how someone can not care?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Thanks for letting me know how to support my team, I had been wondering how do that properly for the past 35 years!! Like I said in my original post I thank Poyet and Co for what they did but have no interest in Sunderland or how they do. I find your love for Poyet rather strange, a man who wanted out of BHA from March last year and sulked through the playoffs that cost us our best chance of promotion in the next few years! As for watching from afar, were you at Burnley? Going to Watford today? I support my team hence I have no interest in a football club in the North East of England!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I think suggesting I am vitriolic is probably a little strong, unless losing respect for Poyet, as a man, can be can be seen as that? I think he owed us a better ending than we got and IMO he has destabilised the club since the play off 2nd leg. I will never be able to brush that aside even if he ends up winning the Champion's League. I am a Brighton fan not a Poyet fan but for a while the two went beautifully hand in hand.

I think you have just hit the nail on the head! its the CLUB I / we support, not individual people within the club, yes of course over the years there are many players / managers / others who have been employed by the club to do a job who I have admired and respected but if they decide to move on for whatever reason then so be it, I wont say I don't ever have a glance at what some of them have got up to, but I am certainly not going to sit on here "gushing" about them like they are a lost child I have not seen in years!

Today I want the present team with the present manager with the present backroom staff with the present "others" to stuff Watford out of sight!! then I will "gush" :lol:

By the way, I honestly have no issues with others talking about past staff etc, its all part and parcel of what this is all about I suppose, its just not my bag really.

And as for Gus & co......good luck to them, they are all in it for one reason, personal success and money! sadly these days no players / managers / other staff have any real loyalty to any club IMO, there will obviously be the odd exception I'm sure..... Oh and yes, that comment includes BZ! :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Thanks for letting me know how to support my team, I had been wondering how do that properly for the past 35 years!! Like I said in my original post I thank Poyet and Co for what they did but have no interest in Sunderland or how they do. I find your love for Poyet rather strange, a man who wanted out of BHA from March last year and sulked through the playoffs that cost us our best chance of promotion in the next few years! As for watching from afar, were you at Burnley? Going to Watford today? I support my team hence I have no interest in a football club in the North East of England!

I wasn't having a go, read my last sentence again. I just can't understand the emotions of chanting someone's name week-in week-out and then forgetting about them overnight. But I was making that comment more as an observation on human behaviour, not as a go at you. I'm sure you do feel like that, I just can't understand it at all.

[BTW, I respect and admire Poyet in the same way as I do Zamora and Adams, amongst others, whats wrong with remembering past heroes fondly? And of course I'm not going to the games, you can see where I live, but did stay tuned to the radio from 2am to 4am to listen to the Burnley 0-0 draw, if you must know, but what has that got to do with anything?]

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I wasn't having a go, read my last sentence again. I just can't understand the emotions of chanting someone's name week-in week-out and then forgetting about them overnight. But I was making that comment more as an observation on human behaviour, not as a go at you. I'm sure you do feel like that, I just can't understand it at all.

[BTW, I respect and admire Poyet in the same way as I do Zamora and Adams, amongst others, whats wrong with remembering past heroes fondly? And of course I'm not going to the games, you can see where I live, but did stay tuned to the radio from 2am to 4am to listen to the Burnley 0-0 draw, if you must know, but what has that got to do with anything?]

I respect Poyet and number of other ex players and managers but I have no real interest in what they do in their future careers. Maybe I am wrong but I really can't see too far away from my club. Guess we have to agree to disagree on this one!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
When Oscar is even remotely fit to lace Poyet's boots as a manager, he will get the adulation he deserves.

Absolutely this. I've yet to be convinced by OG's tactics / vision / gameplan. It all feels a little disjointed, although balanced by the fact that you can't argue about the results in a difficult season.

When OG gets us to 4th place and 77 points in a season at this level, I have a feeling that will be the only time some will then be able to move on.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
And as for Gus & co......good luck to them, they are all in it for one reason, personal success and money! sadly these days no players / managers / other staff have any real loyalty to any club IMO, there will obviously be the odd exception I'm sure..... Oh and yes, that comment includes BZ! :)

This is so true and money talks!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Steven Gerrard has been very loyal to Liverpool and could have moved on a number of occasions to win league titles and silverware elsewhere. The same could be said for Leighton Baines at Everton just recently. Having said that i do agree with your assertion and accept that the examples are isolated and certainly not the norm.

By the same token there is little loyalty from clubs to players or staff either, once they are past their usefulness they are cast away.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Really? I have an interest in football all over the world, I find the whole sport interesting.

Each to their own though I guess, good luck to you and I hope you have a great time at Watford today

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
This is so true and money talks!

It's everything I hate about todays game! no love or passion in the game anymore, well not for the right reasons IMO.

Sadly, IMO, football will implode because of the finances and sharks involved in the game (I pray I'm wrong by the way!) I maybe a bit more critical as I am very close (by location) to what's happened to Welsh club Rugby, it has all but disintegrated, I appreciate and understand there are major differences between the 2 sports, I watched the demise of welsh club rugby, I just have that horrible feeling our beloved sport is on the starting blocks and heading the same way! as I say, I really hope I'm wrong!!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You do realise Sunderland have already beaten Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Everton, Southampton and Newcastle Utd twice under Poyet ? It is the most incredible turnaround in the history of the Premiership. 8 games 3 points and then 16 games 21 points , 5 cup wins, a place in a Wembley Final and in the 5th round of the fa cup. Apart from that, as you said nothing extraordinary has happened.

It is 8 games 1 point and 16 games 23 points.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good for Poyet and Bridcutt.

However, inevitably Poyet will 'reach a ceiling', probably 15 games before he starts talking about the 'golf course' and how the fans need to understand the way they are playing. Its just the nature of him. The Commander probably summed it up the best in an earlier post......

All of that aside, I would applaud him at The Amex for taking a struggling League 1 team and turning them into Championship contenders. He is a good manager.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's everything I hate about todays game! no love or passion in the game anymore, well not for the right reasons IMO.

Sadly, IMO, football will implode because of the finances and sharks involved in the game (I pray I'm wrong by the way!) I maybe a bit more critical as I am very close (by location) to what's happened to Welsh club Rugby, it has all but disintegrated, I appreciate and understand there are major differences between the 2 sports, I watched the demise of welsh club rugby, I just have that horrible feeling our beloved sport is on the starting blocks and heading the same way! as I say, I really hope I'm wrong!!

I share your hatred of what has happened to the game. There are positives that can be taken but for the most part the game is a much more sanitised version of the sport of 20 years ago. It lacks passion and is driven entirely by money and there are too many in it that aren't bothered by the competitition, save for the financial impact.

I'm not sure about implode, but I can see a major restructuring taking place which will be the end for many smaller clubs. Like you I hope I'm wrong but difficult to be confident all the time money is bossing the sport

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good for Poyet and Bridcutt.

However, inevitably Poyet will 'reach a ceiling', probably 15 games before he starts talking about the 'golf course' and how the fans need to understand the way they are playing. Its just the nature of him. The Commander probably summed it up the best in an earlier post......

All of that aside, I would applaud him at The Amex for taking a struggling League 1 team and turning them into Championship contenders. He is a good manager.

Why ? He may have had unique circumstances at BHAFC he will not get elsewhere, ie a CEO. I still find it incredible that NO ONE knows the full facts of what happened as it was never released and Poyet never had his side of the story but still lets all swallow the company line and slaughter the bloke regardless. The facts are and it is becoming clearer by the day we have lost one of the greatest young managers in the English game and possibly the World which will be proved in due course. Lots of people will be sitting up and taking notice at the revolution happening at Sunderland in 3 months. It is staggering the turnaround.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Gus is a complete and utter genius. How anyone can say otherwise is beyond me.

I have said it many many times but he will manage at the highest level, the highest level.

We needed to let him run things his way. All geniuses are mavericks. You just have to learn how to live with them. We didn't.

Our loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here