Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fans all gushing about Gus - Deja Vu, anyone?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many games, in the last 12 months, have been won by:-

Fulham
West Ham
West Brom
Norwich
Swansea
Stoke
Sunderland
Villa.

Sunderland are fortunate to be playing in a division that heavily rewards adequate.
As well as being unable to shed the dead wood, because only 3 can be kicked out.

If Gus pulls it off it will be a massive achievement, and good luck too him.
But it says just as much, if not more, about the failings of the teams that finish below.

Last edited:

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
And as mentioned on their forum they were ****ed 12 WEEKS ago and then Poyet took charge............

He's done phenomenally well in the time he's been there, to suggest anything else is almost criminal.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm past the stage of taking this personally. Gus is carving out a managerial career and will take the best option available at any given time.

He stayed with us longer than I thought he would and is doing better, more quickly, at Sunderland that I thought he would.

Good luck to him, and to Liam. But Gus isn't someone who's fuelled by loyalty to a club or its fans. He's driven by his own ego, which is mostly a positive thing but may one day cause him some problems. He won't change. But so far he's created a brand of football at Brighton that will last longer than his tenure here, and he may well keep Sunderland up, against the odds. Not a bad start to a managerial career, whatever comes next.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Five minute wonder. He does not have the character or personality to manage at the top level. In a year he will be gone. He can't cope with setbacks.

Anyway, sod him. We have a game tomorrow.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
So they think he is a hobbit.... he was in a team of midgets he was a giant, you wait till Gus brings the team down to size.

As for Gus he is a good manager he got my team playing beautiful football he is though one big fat fibber (if he did not know he had been sacked how did his son know before the start of the programme?), over confident in his importance and he is gone.

Onwards and upwards Oscar is the man.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I look forward to the day when there is as much discussion about OG on this board as there is Poyet. The constant adoration that some folks show towards our our ex-manager gets a tad boring after a while. He did a very good job, and I'm not disputing this, but he's gone now and in circumstances that left a bad taste in the mouth for many. Can we not just look forward please to a bigger and brighter future under Oscar, and try toning down and/or reducing the number of Gus tributes? His ego gets fed quite enough as it is.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I look forward to the day when there is as much discussion about OG on this board as there is Poyet. The constant adoration that some folks show towards our our ex-manager gets a tad boring after a while. He did a very good job, and I'm not disputing this, but he's gone now and in circumstances that left a bad taste in the mouth for many. Can we not just look forward please to a bigger and brighter future under Oscar, and try toning down and/or reducing the number of Gus tributes? His ego gets fed quite enough as it is.

When Oscar is even remotely fit to lace Poyet's boots as a manager, he will get the adulation he deserves.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
The biggest mistake Bloom ever made was listening to Barber, the biggest mistake teams like Fulham made was not snapping him up when he was available

This.

We have some idea of what Gus thought about his situation.

We have heard nothing direct from Bloom or Barber.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
When Oscar is even remotely fit to lace Poyet's boots as a manager, he will get the adulation he deserves.

I think you may be serious. :eek: Each to his own in terms of opinions I guess. If only you knew..........

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That aside, i think his weakness his is ego and that may only change when he is in that top section of football management and then he will realise he has to change that to be a real top manager!

Yeah, because no top football managers have ever had an ego eh?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Some of us still have the same opinion we always did about Gus

Exactly. I always liked him as a player, got to know him a bit as an assistant, overjoyed when he joined us, disappointed when he left, pleased for him now, wish him the best unless he one day becomes manager of Manchester United. Then, of course, I'll detest him and rightly so.

Exactly. I always liked him as a player, got to know him a bit as an assistant, overjoyed when he joined us, disappointed when he left, pleased for him now, wish him the best unless he one day becomes manager of Manchester United. Then, of course, I'll detest him and rightly so.

Or Pompey of course. BTW, are you in New Jersey or haven't you made it this year?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Or Pompey of course. BTW, are you in New Jersey or haven't you made it this year?

Of course. But I live in hope that he'll never sink that low.

Yes, well, I'm in New York, only making brief forays into Jersey for press conferences and the game tomorrow. Day off today (Sat) so I went down to the 9/11 memorial and looked out Robert Eaton's name. Emotional.

D

Deleted member 22389

Sunderland also have a ceiling otherwise they wouldn't be in the position they where in. If they hit the ceiling in a couple of seasons is Gus going to stay around?.
Can they compete financially against the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal because that is the next logical progression in his career.

And I agree, we should stop talking about him now. I am as guilty as everyone else.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What Gus is proving is that when he has strikers who can find the net the sky is the limit. We know he inspires players to up their game and his keep ball system is proven to limit the oppositions chances. When we were in League One we were often unplayable, until we got Ulloa in the Championship we fired too many blanks in games we dominated. I can't forgive him for the way it ended but it would be blinkered to deny that on the pitch his teams are quality. I'm not capable of wishing him good luck but I can admire what he is doing at Sunderland.

I totally understand Sunderland fans drooling over what he has done for them, but I still think it will end in tears as his ambition stretches beyond what Sunderland can offer. They will enjoy the ride though, just as we did, until his mouth and ego run away with him again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here