Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fans all gushing about Gus - Deja Vu, anyone?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Thats what always impressed me about him. He has a game plan, he sticks to it, he keeps on trying to get better players to fit into the system, and you can see what he's trying to do all the time. Why oh why couldn't he and TB have worked out their differences :(

As I said on another thread, I really don't think it would have mattered. He wants to manage at the highest level, I personally think that he'll make it but he won't make it with us or Sunderland and we were never going to be able to provide him with the cash that he wanted to build his squad, especially with the FFP rules we're strictly adhering to. I remember him fondly and wish him well but it's time to move on.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
A bit of perspective needed here I think. Tony Bloom gave Gus his first opportunity at management (even though he had been no.2 a few times). Gus was good for us with fresh ideas and a winning mentality. He signed some good players and forked out a lot of money for players are still to fulfil their potential.... and he got a couple of duds as well.
All in all we should be really pleased with his appointment - and let it/him go. Take up the baton Mr Garcia, we fully support you!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No surprise, really. They were adrift at the bottom when he took over, they are now 14th. They are in the League Cup final and the Quarter-finals of the FA Cup, and they have just beaten their rivals 3-0 on their own patch. Not a bad start.

Not just adrift, 7 points adrift, much as I detest his exit, to any neutral to him taking them 2 points clear so quickly is extraordinary

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This all makes me realise how bitter I am towards him, and his sulky shenanigans at the playoff matches.

I can't let it go, and really I need just to forget he exists or move on which can only happen when we get promoted ourselves.

*sad*

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We all know Gus had "Reached the Ceiling " with us .
We all knew that he had reached his level in the Championship, and this was proven beyond doubt when he didn't immediately get a new job in the summer, so this current run is clearly luck.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
What do we expect. They are 12th and doing well. They will feel like us when he hits the roof and one of the top 6 potentially come calling.

Yes he is a top 6 manager, a lot of people who understand the game realise he has what it takes for the top. I personally thought he was great for us and will not change my views! Keeping Sunderland up will be a big achievement but its what happens next that will really matter and you never know. That aside, i think his weakness his is ego and that may only change when he is in that top section of football management and then he will realise he has to change that to be a real top manager!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
As I said on another thread, I really don't think it would have mattered. He wants to manage at the highest level, I personally think that he'll make it but he won't make it with us or Sunderland and we were never going to be able to provide him with the cash that he wanted to build his squad, especially with the FFP rules we're strictly adhering to. I remember him fondly and wish him well but it's time to move on.
I agree to a point, Gus has a good chance of staying in the Premiership with Sunderland and if he keeps them up this season he will be regarded as a legend,good luck to him.If he had stayed here he knew that it could be some years before we gained promotion with a team that would not stand much chance of staying up,Cardiff and Palace are examples,opportunities can be limited so you have to take the chance when it occurs.
It does make me smile when those who would not accept the slightest critism of Gus now are wishing him the worse for making a choice that the majority would go for,Sunderland or Brighton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not just adrift, 7 points adrift, much as I detest his exit, to any neutral to him taking them 2 points clear so quickly is extraordinary
It would be extraordinary if the rest of the division was sh*t hot, but it's not, it's just sh*t.

7 teams on top.
2 teams mid-team, and one of those looks shaky.
10 teams all with a good shout at relegation.

All Sunderland have done, at the moment, is be less sh*t than the rest of the sh*t.

The next 3 league games are Hull, Man City and Arsenal.
Chances are they'll be second from bottom again, before jumping back to 12 by the end of March.

Absolutely nothing extraordinary has happened, until such time as Sunderland are guaranteed a place in the Premier League, next season.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
When it comes off Gus is great and his teams looks like the 2nd coming of Barcelona.

When an opposing team nullifies his game plan he ain't got a clue and it looks slow and ponderous.

Thats about it for me.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The biggest mistake Bloom ever made was listening to Barber, the biggest mistake teams like Fulham made was not snapping him up when he was available

Daft quote. 2 totally different jobs. 1 here to get the best we can balancing the books. The other trying to get to the premiership whose idea was to spend as much as possible if he could. He was reined in and through a tantrum.
Great manager Poyet won t ever be a great in my opinion and the club will be here long after Poyet of its run properly.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The OP will love this thread as well: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/bridcutt.872679/

Said it right from the off and I stick by it - I'll be surprised if Gus doesn't keep Sunderland up and if Liam doesn't prove to be a key player for them. We've all witnessed the obvious class of both, and that won't change just because they've left us and gone elsewhere.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It would be extraordinary if the rest of the division was sh*t hot, but it's not, it's just sh*t.

7 teams on top.
2 teams mid-team, and one of those looks shaky.
10 teams all with a good shout at relegation.

All Sunderland have done, at the moment, is be less sh*t than the rest of the sh*t.

The next 3 league games are Hull, Man City and Arsenal.
Chances are they'll be second from bottom again, before jumping back to 12 by the end of March.

Absolutely nothing extraordinary has happened, until such time as Sunderland are guaranteed a place in the Premier League, next season.

You do realise Sunderland have already beaten Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Everton, Southampton and Newcastle Utd twice under Poyet ? It is the most incredible turnaround in the history of the Premiership. 8 games 3 points and then 16 games 21 points , 5 cup wins, a place in a Wembley Final and in the 5th round of the fa cup. Apart from that, as you said nothing extraordinary has happened.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Pleased for Liam. Didn't leave well but did us proud and continues to show that there is real quality playing outside the Prem.

I'd love to hate Gus - and I resent the hell out of the way he fecked up our big shot at promotion last year, but I can't dislike the man. Did well for us (with a great chairman) and will do well in the Prem despite his big gob. Would rather Sunderland stayed up if it meant the sarf London swindlers go down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You do realise Sunderland have already beaten Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Everton, Southampton and Newcastle Utd twice under Poyet ? It is the most incredible turnaround in the history of the Premiership. 8 games 3 points and then 16 games 21 points , 5 cup wins, a place in a Wembley Final and in the 5th round of the fa cup. Apart from that, as you said nothing extraordinary has happened.
All of which would be completely meaningless if they still get relegated.
Had the rest of the division been even remotely competitive, Gus' achievements would have more credibility, at this stage of the season.

You're also omitting the fact Gus has taken over from a complete mentalist, who it would seen made it impossible to play for Sunderland.
As proven by Pulis just being better than the last fella, can take you a long way.

Only four teams in the Premier League have taken more points off teams in the top half of the table than Sunderland have ...

... Manchester City, Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here