Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt starts against Newcastle

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is he Welsh :lolol:

At least one of them is, Jon Hartson is the co-commentator. Don't know who the play-by-play guy is (he who described it as tidy), his accent isn't strong enough for me to place.

EDIT: Hartson just described him as "outstanding"

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm not one of the Gus Haters and I'm well and truly behind Oscar Garcia (refer to signature) but right now, listening to Hartson creaming over Bridcutt and pondering Gus's Wearside wonders, I feel like a jilted lover.

😢

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gus is turning survival into a cake walk! Incredible turn around, I didn't they could survive but they're starting to look like they'll be comfortably midtable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gus is a good manager, Liam is a good player. It doesn't look like they gave a fvck about the Albion before they left us so I don't see why we should give a shit about them. Talented but no class either of them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ashley with his stooge Kinnear, have turned Newcastle into a selling club. Highlighted by selling their only CM playmaker Cabaye for £20m and not reinvesting a bean. Whereas Sunderland dip into the buy/loan window as needs must.

I'm not a Newcastle fan, but I feel sorry for their fans and Pardew enduring all this. This was an almost inevitable result, with Newcastle's ever depleted player resources.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't watch the game but Twitter is awash with praise for our the pint-sized former midfield maestro of ours. How did he do?

Dec 29, 2011
Didn't think Bridcutt was immense by any stretch of the imagination. A good debut considering he moved yesterday and it's his first Premier League game? Sure. Immense? Not in this game.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As it says. A bit surprised he's being thrown straight in, good chance for him but a lot of pressure. Particularly as he hasn't been playing recently. Thoughts?

Liam Bridcutt could have been in bed prepararing for a little jolt up the road in front of 20,000 fans or less, instead of a cruise for Sunderland in front of 50,000 fans + at St James Park, Newcastle.

Poyet v Pardew 3-1, 2-2, 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-0.

Liam Bridcutt's last visit to a St James Park:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9313060.stm

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Absolutely no doubt Gus got Bridcutt on the cheap, then rubbed it in afterwards. Hopefully when he comes back for Leo we will have learn't from the experience and don't get mugged again.

We havent been mugged. He is a good player, but he isnt brilliant and has no PL experience. £3M + add ons is fair.

Sunderland up to 12th too, if they stay up, it gets us some extra money too.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I don't think we gave him away cheap. Only so many clubs play a style that would suit his game as such the demand for him wouldn't be that high. What we got for him was a great price.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Newcastle are rubbish, and if you watched Sunderlands 1-0 win against 10 men Stoke they were very lucky. Their 1-0 win against 10 men Everton they were very lucky.

Had very poor first halfs against Cardiff and Shampton but played well in the second and deserved coming back from 2-0 down to draw.

Hull will be intersting, and then Sunderland have Man C, Southampton and Arsenal this month, far bigger tests than Pardews useless Newcastle.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Absolutely no doubt Gus got Bridcutt on the cheap, then rubbed it in afterwards. Hopefully when he comes back for Leo we will have learn't from the experience and don't get mugged again.

Not the way Adam Johnson was playing. Alonso looked good at left back for Sunderland. Bridcutt looked just one out of eleven and probably not as good a Ki and Colback from what I saw. Bardsley made a good interception in his position. Bridcutt did push forward to the edge of the penlaty area on one occasion. Sunderland looked a completely different side with many of the same players last time I saw them play.

Good job we kept Will Buckley, or else I would be depressed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
^He's right, you know.

They're Championship footballers. Any Premier League club (well, most of them) comes knocking and they're going to at least want to look. They have short careers. I can understand why the desire might be to get to the promised land as soon as possible. We might not like it, but that's the way it is.

I'd also imagine Bridcutt has at least doubled his wages. Don't know about you, but I'm not sure I could turn that down.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Gus is a good manager, Liam is a good player. It doesn't look like they gave a fvck about the Albion before they left us so I don't see why we should give a shit about them. Talented but no class either of them.

The whole episode is led by Gus, a strong personality and a with a winners mentality, Liam is simply following someone he has a lot of respect for. I think both their hearts WERE with the Albion.

Gus has always been strong enough to speak his mind and think differently, he sees the game very differently to most, whether supporters, other managers or pundits, but has great confidence in the way he wants to achieve things. I thought when he joined us he was in the style of the next Brian Clough, will antagonise a few, but think he will achieve a great deal as a manager. Still think he would have been great for Abion and us for him but hope we will perhaps both learn from the experience. No bitterness here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here