Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ffp fc

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You could see it a different way. We are using the guidelines as a template for a sustainable future. Other clubs can disregard the rules - and threaten to take the FA to court if they try to impose penalties - but in doing so are literally gambling with their futures. I love the fact that we're looking to build a sustainable and large club - I can only see great success for a long time to come. I'll live without promotion for a year or two (or more, the Prem isn't the be all and end all for me) if it means I can follow a club that plays and acts in the right way for many many years to come. And who the hell would have believed that was a realistic dream even five years ago?

Great post. Still think we have not invested quite enough in our squad, but maybe we can bring in a CB in the loan window to cover the remaining biggest gap in our squad. Bottom-line is we need to be very close to or in the play-off positions or the butterflies will fly away. Less bums on seats and we really will not meet FFP.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Are we the only club to have stadium costs wages and bills...no, and others seem to manage to buy enough talent to get promoted, not sure how and know it could backfire but after years of no real success just jealous maybe.

I don't think it would have taken that much more in the summer to make the step up from last year a little gamble?

Like Leicester (under Eriksson) or Blackburn (£8m on Rhodes) you mean

Spending money doesn't guarentee you promotion and this season (as a result of losing so many key players to injury) we are very unlikely to catch up and finish in the top two so you are talking about spending millions and gambling for the lottery of the play-offs which we could still make and win promotion following our transfer window activities.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It does put Poyet's 'hit the ceiling' comments in perspective. Doesn't make them any more excusable though. Pathetic paddy really when all the club had decided was to live within its means.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You could see it a different way. We are using the guidelines as a template for a sustainable future. Other clubs can disregard the rules - and threaten to take the FA to court if they try to impose penalties - but in doing so are literally gambling with their futures. I love the fact that we're looking to build a sustainable and large club - I can only see great success for a long time to come. I'll live without promotion for a year or two (or more, the Prem isn't the be all and end all for me) if it means I can follow a club that plays and acts in the right way for many many years to come. And who the hell would have believed that was a realistic dream even five years ago?

Good post.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Investment in a sustainable future,
Unwavering belief in a style of play to be proud of and appointing managers accordingly,
Exciting young players being brought through and advertising opportunities for others to join a state of the art academy,
Refusing to kowtow to the demands of greedy agents and players who will take everything they can get regardless of the long term effect on the game,
Possibly waiting a few years for promotion

Versus

Gambling everything to get into the premiership, if we succeed buying journeymen at over the odds prices to try to stay there, getting stuffed by Man City and patronised by the golf club bores on Match of the Day. If we don't succeed losing everything.

Just because we may be one of the few choosing the former business model, doesn't mean its wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

You need to be very careful talking plain common sense on here as the majority do not get it and have unrealistic football aspirations.

Excellent post

Feb 14, 2010
I genuinely thought our days of being a "selling club" were over - however this transfer window, selling two of our key players, and replacing them with two for a fraction of the price, has proven they're not.

I think the club are making a massive mistake not going for promotion while we have the momentum. If we fail to get promoted in the next couple of seasons, there will be a time when we are struggling to get 15-20k though the Amex gates and then we will really feel the brunt of FFP.

\\unless we end up with our own Oil rch owner like Man City then BHA will always be a selling cub. Im proud and in makes me laugh that we get bigger crowds than a good third to a half of the so called Premier League and yes it would be nice to fulfill ouyr potential but neither you or I are picking up the bills

D

Deleted member 22389

I genuinely thought our days of being a "selling club" were over - however this transfer window, selling two of our key players, and replacing them with two for a fraction of the price, has proven they're not.

I think the club are making a massive mistake not going for promotion while we have the momentum. If we fail to get promoted in the next couple of seasons, there will be a time when we are struggling to get 15-20k though the Amex gates and then we will really feel the brunt of FFP.

Bridcutt was going to go whatever.
El-Adb can be replaced by Dunk. El Abd went to League one club.
Barnes can be replaced with CMS, Hoskins and we have not the new guy.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

So essentially then, unless we spend millions, we are "not going for promotion"? What a load of crap.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
So for anyone still debating the impact or sanctions invest five minutes of your team and actually read the Football League guidelines specific to the Championship below.

Key points as I see them:

1) transfer embargo or financial penalties only kick in from next season onwards
2) from season 15/16 the combined value of "accepted deviation" and "shareholder injections" will be a maximum of £5m per season - I.e What TB can plough into the club coffers
3) the ffp tax is shared out only to Championship clubs that meet all ffp criteria so if the fines total £20m from any particular season and we're the only club to meet it we get it all
4) clubs relegated from the Prem don't have to comply in their first season back in the FL as long as they met any Prem regs on their way down

The aim of the FL is surely to ensure that as many as possible comply in the shortest time possible so to my mind if that happens then the impact\potential to gain is short lived and limited.

Whatever the reality is I for one think we're doing the right thing.

How will it work?

The Championship

Financial Fair Play in the Championship will see the introduction of a breakeven model based on UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations. It will require clubs to stay within pre-defined limits on losses and shareholder equity investment that will reduce significantly over the next five seasons.

The new system will require clubs to provide annual accounts to The Football League by December 1 every year, covering the previous season/financial year. Using this information a 'Fair Play Result' will be determined for each club that will equate to the club's profit/loss for the year, excluding investment in specific areas of club infrastructure or losses in certain extraordinary circumstances.

In order to comply with the Financial Fair Play regulations each club is required to demonstrate a Fair Play Result that is either:

a) nil or greater.

or:

b) A loss of less than the permitted level of acceptable deviation and shareholder equity investment for the season in question.

The permitted level of acceptable deviation and shareholder equity investment will reduce over time from £4m and £8m respectively in 2011/12 to £2m and £3m by 2015/16.

The Football League will establish a Financial Fair Play Panel, led by its Chairman, to consider any challenges by clubs to the determination of the Fair Play Result.

What counts towards the Fair Play Result?

The Fair Play Result is based on the club's profit or loss before tax with the exception of:

• Investment in Youth Development (as defined in the Elite Player Performance Plan)
• The profit affecting element of the purchase, sale and depreciation of fixed assets excluding players (e.g. a club's stadium)
• Investment in a club's Community Scheme
• Promotion related bonus payments

A club is also entitled to apply to the Financial Fair Play Panel to have certain exceptional items excluded from the Financial Fair Play Result in a particular year. Such as (but not limited to):

• Career ending injury costs
• Bad debts from other clubs
• Losses sustained from a major sponsor defaulting

The timetable for implementation

As with UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations, The Football League will phase in its Financial Fair Play framework for Championship clubs. This is outlined below.

Season 2011/12 2012/13 2013/14 2014/15 2015/16 onwards
Acceptable deviation £4 m £4 m £3 m £3 m £2 m
Shareholder equity investment £8 m £6 m £5 m £3 m £3 m
Total Permitted Allowances £12 m £10 m £8 m £6 m £5 m

The first reporting period will be the current season (2011/12) - with the first set of accounts due to be submitted on 1st December 2012.

Sanctions

Failure to stay within the defined limits will lead to the imposition of sanctions. However, there will be no sanctions implemented during the first two seasons (2012/13 and 2013/14) in order to give clubs a sensible period of transition.

From the 2014/15 season, sanctions will be introduced that will differ depending on whether the club ultimately remained in the Championship, was promoted to the Premier League or was relegated to League 1.

i. Sanctions for clubs remaining in the Championship

Clubs that fail to comply with the Financial Fair Play regulations (from December 1st 2014) will be subject to a transfer embargo. This embargo will come in to force ahead of the subsequent transfer window beginning on January 1, 2015.

The embargo will remain in place until the club is able to lodge financial information that demonstrates that it meets the Financial Fair Play regulations (either for the previous reporting period or a future reporting period).

ii. Sanctions for clubs promoted to the Premier League

Clubs promoted to the Premier League will be required to provide Financial Fair Play information for their promotion season by December 1. Any club found to have breached Financial Fair Play regulations will be required to pay a 'Fair Play Tax' on the excess by which the club failed to fulfil the Fair Play requirement, ranging from 1% on the first £100,000 to 100% on anything over £10m.

The Fair Play Tax will be applied at the following thresholds:

(a) 1% of the excess between £1 and £100,000;
(b) 20% of the excess between £100,001 and £500,000;
(c) 40% of the excess between £500,001 and £1,000,000;
(d) 60% of the excess between £1,000,001 and £5,000,000;
(e) 80% of the excess between £5,000,001 and £10,000,000; and
(f) 100% of the excess over £10,000,000
Any proceeds will be distributed equally amongst clubs that have complied with the Financial Fair Play regulations for the season in question.

The Football League is currently in the process of consulting with the Premier League regarding the implementation of these Financial Fair Play regulation

Feb 14, 2010
Every team in the football league is "going for promotion", but only those who strengthen their playing squads will realistically meet that ambition.

Unfortunately there are teams above and below us that have done just that, whereas we haven't - and this will cost us the playoffs this season, barring a stroke of genius from Oscar.

I'm pleased with the two signings we've made, but I feel that it's not enough to fill the Barnes/Crofts/Bridcutt/Conway void. We're weaker than we were a month ago, I expected better.

Barnes? Really not a loss and we have a new forward so give him a chance
Crofts is injured and they have bought to try and replace him
Bridcutt has not played this season
Conway well we have a few wingers, Lua Lua I think is worth more of a go

I dont think we are much weaker but I agree that we might miss out on the play offs but we were before the window. For me its all about the strikers, if we find a striker who can score goals then who knows

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We've heard endlessly from the club about the need to adhere to Financial Fair Play. Will the action (or lack of it) over the transfer window be regarded as Financial Fair Play for Customers when next year's ticket prices are announced?

Tony Bloom is currently subsidising your season ticket to the tune of £350 a year. And that doesn't even include the £120m on the stadium construction or the £20-30m on the training centre and academy - the right way to go about improving the squad. You don't think that's fair?!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Every team in the football league is "going for promotion", but only those who strengthen their playing squads will realistically meet that ambition.

Unfortunately there are teams above and below us that have done just that, whereas we haven't - and this will cost us the playoffs this season, barring a stroke of genius from Oscar.

I'm pleased with the two signings we've made, but I feel that it's not enough to fill the Barnes/Crofts/Bridcutt/Conway void. We're weaker than we were a month ago, I expected better.

But you have categorically stated that we are not going for promotion as we did not spend lots of money.

How do you know we are weaker? Neither of our signings have played yet. You are assuming that the other teams are stronger for their purchases, why not us?

How do you know that getting rid of Bridcutt and Barnes has not improved the squad atmosphere, therefore making us stronger?

How would you now be reacting if we had spent 2m on Spanish Rod instead of getting him for free? Waxing lyrical no doubt about someone you have yet to see play. You are assuming he is crap because he was free.

Please explain how the team that won the play-offs last year managed to do so without strengthening their team substantially and spending millions?

You expected better? How? By spending a fortune on players who may turn out to be crap? By buying players who were our 4th or 5th choice in a position? If you think spending lots of money = success, then Brighton is not the club that will meet your expectations.

We will get there and do so in a manner that does not cripple us. It may take a while, but we will get there.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Tony Bloom is currently subsidising your season ticket to the tune of £350 a year. And that doesn't even include the £120m on the stadium construction or the £20-30m on the training centre and academy - the right way to go about improving the squad. You don't think that's fair?!
Naive question here. How is he doing that ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here