Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt

MorNando

Jan 31, 2014
By the way. Liam did mention the Brighton fans in his 'welcome to sunderland' interview. Blink and you will miss it but he did pay tribute.

Anyway, this is my last post. Thanks for all the replies.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Where's the bad blood - I'm not sure I've seen much, if any at all?

Some will be unhappy with the manner of Bridcutt's departure - all but going on strike over the last month which slightly tarnishes the incredible time he had with us. He appeared to be destined to be a journeyman lower league player when he joined the Albion and he's been turned into the most valuable player we have ever sold, a full International and he's about to start plying his trade in the most exciting league in the world (TM).

Some will be unhappy with Poyet because there was huge amounts of acrimony around his departure. That it escaped you, I guess typifies the attitude of many Premier League fans who seem largely unaware of the 72 clubs knocking around in the Football League. (Until they get relegated back into it, of course).

But most Albion fans will wish Liam Bridcutt well, thinking he deserves a crack at the Premier League. Many Albion fans, despite the manner of his departure, will also wish Gus Poyet well. He's incredibly charismatic and is easy to love when he's at your club. Many Albion fans have moved on - they simply don't care about Poyet one way or another any more.

And, regardless of all of the above, I'm not sure there are many Albion fans who care about Sunderland one way or another - there's no form or history between the clubs. I view Sunderland as a proper football club with a rich history, very much rooted in the local community and with a large and passionate support.

Finally, of course, if you do well, it increases the chances of Palace coming back to where they belong. Good luck against Newcastle and for the rest of the season. Look after Liam - you have a gem there.

Top post sums it up perfectly - well done boss.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Excellent player. Hope he does well. Don't really care either way about Poyet but if Sunderland stay up, it's one more spare relegation slot that Palace might slip into, so I'm right behind them.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm sad to see Liam go because he was a class act in the Championship and clearly deserving of a chance in the Prem. He should be a calming influence in front of the back four and certainly won't be a candidate for multiple red cards like Cattermole. Liam isn't a box to box midfielder and won't venture far into the opposition half. Inevitably he will have a bit of a learning curve while he adjusts to the Prem, especially not having any recent match fitness so maybe Sunderland fans should cut him a bit of slack for a game or two. But he has enough class to make a difference.

However the manner of Liam's departure has soured things. I think many Albion fans were realistic that we could lose Liam, having failed to get to the Prem last season. I suspect that Liam could now be enjoying overwhelming plaudits and best wishes from all Albion fans - but for his low key departure and having been 'rested'. It is a pity that his Albion career ended this way, rather than end on a high, giving 110% for The Albion. I reckon we would probably be in the play off places right now but for his recent injury and subsequent 'rest'.

Unfortunately I suspect the hand of Gus in unsettling Liam (and maybe one or two others such as Ulloa and Buckley) and while it would be naïve to dream such things don't go on the fact that Gus now chooses to crow over having fleeced us rather than move on shows he cannot resist having a dig at us (or more specifically The Albion Board). Yet Gus's acrimonious departure was mainly of his own making. Football managers aren't shrinking violets but Gus has a particular love in with the media, which is great all the time things are going well but is a two edged sword.

I can put up with Sunderland doing well under Gus especially if it hastens the demise of Palace. However I'm curious to see how Gus would react if Sunderland get relegated and have to spend a year in the Championship. I suspect the atmosphere around him will become far less rosy and Sunderland will see his true colours.

Finally Liam has gone, he hasn't played (properly) for us for some months so we are well used to not seeing him in the blue and white stripes. My support is with our Club and team rather than one player and there are plenty of other really positive things for us to focus on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That'll be aimed at Poyet rather than Sunderland specifically. Some wish their ex's well, others despise.

I do not understand fans who equate a job with a marriage. It's possible that none of them have ever left a job to go to another one, I suppose. There's nothing romantic or loyal about working in a job.
As for football, only fans are loyal.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nothing against Sunderland who r a great football club. A bit pissed off with Poyet coming back in for our best players mid season. Shows a lack of respect to us fans. And if any poster comes back with the 'that's football' line I'm not going into it again - no respect in football by some then!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Poyet was great for us, Bridcutt was great for us, and I for one will be watching their future careers with much interest. Pleased they're at the same club as makes it easier to wish Sunderland well in the future

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Briducutt's a great player, if watching a someone who has absolutely no natural footballing ability or creative talent and poses zero goal threat floats your boat. However, it's interesting to watch how his collection of 'body art' develops over the season. He hasn't got 'Judus' on his forehead yet.

Blimey. Do you watch the games with hands over your eyes. This is the biggest pile of shit I have ever read on here...and that includes most of what I write.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Guess who is starting for Sunderland today in the first 11.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Bridcutt starts.......

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Nothing against Sunderland who r a great football club. A bit pissed off with Poyet coming back in for our best players mid season. Shows a lack of respect to us fans. And if any poster comes back with the 'that's football' line I'm not going into it again - no respect in football by some then!

personally don't get the lack of respect thing about poyet coming in for our players - it was always going to happen and happens all the time in the commercial world. Happy we got what appears to be a decent fee for him. Happy that Poyet and Brighton made him into a footballer that we sold for 3 million plus having taken him for nothing. Hope he does well hope sunderland stay up. I will enjoy watching him play on MOTD etc. Good luck to both of them they were both responsible for revolutionising BHA over a 3 year period taking us from a nothing club to the verge of the premiership and for that I will always be grateful. Time to remember but time to move on and support Garcia and the current squad for another play off push.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Oh come one!

So an ex manager comes in for a player he really rated to take him to his next club...and we all throw hissy fits over it!

This is what happened in football, it has happened for years and will continue to happen for years to come. How many on here were salivating at the chance that the miserable one was going to bring three of four players currently at maccabi! With the way he left them, do you not think their fans were a tad peeved?

We have got to be less precious about our club. Players will come and go to whoever they like, football is a short career and they have to make whatever they can when they can...we had all the handwringing about Zamora possibly going to palace...seemly being disloyal to us...disloyal!!!

Harry redknapp Made a very good point when. He went to Portsmouth and Southampton fans were abusing him...he said" I am a manager, not a fan" and he is dead right..we are fans, we care about the latest result and the results to come, we care that we can sign players for stupid money totally over the value they are actually worth, and finally we care about the club.

I can see Oscar returning to Spain if he is offered a chance to manage back home as he will see this as a chance to manage in England..he now has that on his CV and he will be in demand. Do I care...not really. We will get someone else in who wants to manage here and he may be better or worse that the last few...you never know.

So I don't get all this judas stuff that people seem to be obsessed with...if someone wants to be away, then so be it. The club and fans are far bigger than any player, or owner for that matter!

Rant over

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I will enjoy watching him play on MOTD etc.

We are all affected by these things in different ways. I go out of my way to avoid watching Poyet's Sunderland on the box, and that will be even more the case now that Bridcutt is playing for them, in the same way that I will only watch Palace highlights on MOTD if they've lost, and I especially want to avoid watching Murray running around in a Palace shirt whenever possible.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Briducutt's a great player, if watching a someone who has absolutely no natural footballing ability or creative talent and poses zero goal threat floats your boat. However, it's interesting to watch how his collection of 'body art' develops over the season. He hasn't got 'Judus' on his forehead yet.

I see there is some truth behind your username.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here