Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I was always a big Gus fan and often an apologist for some of his silly media outbursts. I even backed him up after his t.v rant at the club after we lost to palace, I just put it down to him being upset about the defeat and passionate about HIS club.
But my view of him started to change after his media appearances moaning about Brighton showing him lack of respect when all along he was showing the fans lack of respect with his very public battle with our board.
You've got yourself a very talented and charismatic manager, but make no mistake, Mr Poyet is an ambitious man. If he feels he's not being "respected" or the club aren't giving him the proper financial backing he deserves he'll be off again.
Oh and get used to him talking very publicly about how amazing his former clubs (Chelsea, spurs ect) are and how one day he would love to go back there.
As for Liam, he was one of my favourite players ever to grace the blue and white stripes, I've no doubt you've got an amazing player that will be a star in the prem, I also think for a player of the season 2 years running we sold him on the cheap. I'm just sad how it ended with him pretty much refusing to play for us and to my knowledge hasn't paid tribute to the Brighton fans on his departure.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Hi all, as a sunderland fan I am gob smacked to see the bad blood some of you have towards my club.

I have no real knowledge of the spat between Poyet and your chairman. Nor do I care.

All I know is that Poyet lifted our club from the depths of relegation and took us to a cup final. His record with yourselves is pretty similar looking at it.

I didn't come on here to gloat, just to try and find out a little more about our new player and to find out why you are all so upset.

He is probably playing in a derby today in front of 52,000 fans. Will he have the character to play in such a pressure game?

Even if your replies consist of nothing but abuse, I wish you good luck.

Word to the wise my friend. You will get spanked in the cup final and if it hadn't been Chelsea in the quarter final, it would have probably been a b-team and you would not even be there. You will still get relegated and it will not be his fault. Don't bother getting a director of football or anyone above him, as he will see them off. And if by chance you do stay up, he will promote himself as the massiah and sniff around ever top job that becomes vacant......Your still in the honeymoon period, trust me.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Where's the bad blood - I'm not sure I've seen much, if any at all?

Some will be unhappy with the manner of Bridcutt's departure - all but going on strike over the last month which slightly tarnishes the incredible time he had with us. He appeared to be destined to be a journeyman lower league player when he joined the Albion and he's been turned into the most valuable player we have ever sold, a full International and he's about to start plying his trade in the most exciting league in the world (TM).

Some will be unhappy with Poyet because there was huge amounts of acrimony around his departure. That it escaped you, I guess typifies the attitude of many Premier League fans who seem largely unaware of the 72 clubs knocking around in the Football League. (Until they get relegated back into it, of course).

But most Albion fans will wish Liam Bridcutt well, thinking he deserves a crack at the Premier League. Many Albion fans, despite the manner of his departure, will also wish Gus Poyet well. He's incredibly charismatic and is easy to love when he's at your club. Many Albion fans have moved on - they simply don't care about Poyet one way or another any more.

And, regardless of all of the above, I'm not sure there are many Albion fans who care about Sunderland one way or another - there's no form or history between the clubs. I view Sunderland as a proper football club with a rich history, very much rooted in the local community and with a large and passionate support.

Finally, of course, if you do well, it increases the chances of Palace coming back to where they belong. Good luck against Newcastle and for the rest of the season. Look after Liam - you have a gem there.

All of the above, great post

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Agree with much written on this thread but supporting Gus & Liam I don't. I guess it makes me appear to be not very nice, and I'm sorry about that. However as mentioned by others they both arrived here without any real credentials and repaid us by worse than lack of loyalty .... by hurting my club. And worse, now Gus appears to be gloating at having turned us over.
I'd love to wish Black Cats good times, but whilst it's twinned with success for that pair I'll have to put that on hold until you to have seen through them yourselves.
:smile:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
My late Dad was a Sunderland fanatic who got evacuated south as a kid during the war. It was him who got me into footy at a very young age and my first football kit was a Sunderland strip and back in the early 60's they were as rare as rocking horse poo down in West Sussex .
It wasn't until I was about 10 I started watching Albion and I have done ever since but I always look out for Sunderland and once Gus went your way and LB followed him I knew my old man up there in the Sky would've been wetting himself with laughter at my thoughts of them both going to his team.
So good luck to both of them and also my mate Charlie as well.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Bridcutt is our Cabaye, a fans favourite who essentially refused to play to force a move. Nobody would deny him the chance but many are bitter about how he went about it and it probably cost us a few quid in his eventual price.

Poyet was terrific here but made far too many come and get me pleas in his last few months here, flirting with Chelsea, Leeds and Spurs like a bashful schoolgirl. Despite this he was backed to the hilt by the club and the fans until a play off defeat to our bitter rivals. He chose that moment not to reflect on his own failings (being tactically and motivationally outdone by that half wit Holloway), but to lay the blame at our door. He had "hit the roof" here. He never did the shit in the Palace dressing room, but he metaphorically did one in ours.

One more thing you should know. Neither Bridcutt or Poyet were anything before we gave them the chance. Poyet was a failed assistant manager looking for his first break as a manager. His appointment was certainly a gamble. Bridcutt was clubless the September after being released by Chelsea after several failed trials with other clubs. Given this they could have left with a little more dignity and respect.

Good post

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Bridcutt was an excellent player in the championship in Poyet's system. I have no doubt he'll do well in the premier league for Sunderland. He's much better than Catermole, certainly in the position Poyet wants him to play. He'll protect the defence very well and will keep possession likewise. Not the most penetrative of passers but he's not there for that. He'll link defence and midfield and will bring a level of composure to your team that, from what I've seen, has been lacking so far. A very important signing for Sunderland as far as I'm concerned, particularly while Poyet is there.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Is it me or do all these sensitive souls go trawling around other clubs forums looking for reasons to get offended in behalf of their clubs? What a bunch of fannies.

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Bridcutt will be found out within a few matches, benchwarming for the last quarter of the season and you'll all turn on Gus when you start heading back down the table singing "What a waste of money!!!"
Can't see Poyet admitting to a bad signing, its more likely that if Bridcutt under achieves he'll persist with him.

MorNando

Jan 31, 2014
Is it me or do all these sensitive souls go trawling around other clubs forums looking for reasons to get offended in behalf of their clubs? What a bunch of fannies.

It's just you. Don't worry I won't hold it against you. I am only here out of curiosity. I always check out other forums after we buy players. It's the best way to find out what we bought.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's just you. Don't worry I won't hold it against you. I am only here out of curiosity. I always check out other forums after we buy players. It's the best way to find out what we bought.

And your view on the sunbleached pink seats at your stadium MorNando?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I was always a big Gus fan and often an apologist for some of his silly media outbursts. I even backed him up after his t.v rant at the club after we lost to palace, I just put it down to him being upset about the defeat and passionate about HIS club.
But my view of him started to change after his media appearances moaning about Brighton showing him lack of respect when all along he was showing the fans lack of respect with his very public battle with our board.
You've got yourself a very talented and charismatic manager, but make no mistake, Mr Poyet is an ambitious man. If he feels he's not being "respected" or the club aren't giving him the proper financial backing he deserves he'll be off again.
Oh and get used to him talking very publicly about how amazing his former clubs (Chelsea, spurs ect) are and how one day he would love to go back there.
As for Liam, he was one of my favourite players ever to grace the blue and white stripes, I've no doubt you've got an amazing player that will be a star in the prem, I also think for a player of the season 2 years running we sold him on the cheap. I'm just sad how it ended with him pretty much refusing to play for us and to my knowledge hasn't paid tribute to the Brighton fans on his departure.

Well said, Mr B. I fully concur with your assessment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here