Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So.... Has the squad improved?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Are we stronger? Obviously hard to tell at this point but my gut feeling is no.

Spanish Rod - Could be anything but only giving him a contract to the end of the season doesn't suggest he is a massive upgrade.

Stephens - I liked the look of Boxing day but Bridcutt was the best DM in the division. Because we are playing in a different way jury's out on this one.

Weaker defensively clearly if only in numbers.

Good loan's are going to be absolutely crucial, if we are going to make the play off's...

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Are we stronger? Obviously hard to tell at this point but my gut feeling is no.

Spanish Rod - Could be anything but only giving him a contract to the end of the season doesn't suggest he is a massive upgrade.

Stephens - I liked the look of Boxing day but Bridcutt was the best DM in the division. Because we are playing in a different way jury's out on this one.

Weaker defensively clearly if only in numbers.

Good loan's are going to be absolutely crucial, if we are going to make the play off's...
What I find really odd about this signing, is how this guy became number 2 choice in the Burke short list given to Oscar after the £1.3 mill Grabban, surely there were other strikers between a £1.3 mill and a cancelled contract player for Oscar to choose from?

But saying that I am a little excited about seeing this guy play, I hope he doesn't disappoint.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
To early to say. Dunk is a more than capable replacement for El-Abd (personally think he is a better player), who knows about Rodders, hopefully Stephens is a good replacement for Crofts and will chip in with goals. I don't think we could have replaced Bridcutt without spending big but he has hardly played this season and Oscar has managed pretty well.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What I find really odd about this signing, is how this guy became number 2 choice in the Burke short list given to Oscar after the £1.3 mill Grabban, surely there were other strikers between a £1.3 mill and a cancelled contract player for Oscar to choose from?

But saying that I am a little excited about seeing this guy play, I hope he doesn't disappoint.

Wasn't Mason also on the list?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This year we're without Wayne Bridge, and now we've lost Bridcutt, Barnes and El Abd. Have we brought in anybody better than Bridge or Bridcutt? I don't think so. Don't know much (if anything!) about the newcomers we've brought in, but my gut feeling is no, we're not as strong as we were last year.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This year we're without Wayne Bridge, and now we've lost Bridcutt, Barnes and El Abd. Have we brought in anybody better than Bridge or Bridcutt? I don't think so. Don't know much (if anything!) about the newcomers we've brought in, but my gut feeling is no, we're not as strong as we were last year.

But Bridge was a one off (with his injuries this season did we really miss out though) and Bridcutt can't be replaced without spending a lot of ££. The position we are in you are always going to lose your best, most consistent, players, the trick is replacing them with cheaper and younger players who can progress with the club

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Yeah I agree, he really could be absolutely anything, his record is hard to fathom as the Spanish 2nd division is very variable indeed it's encouraging though that he talks about pace being a strong asset and I suspect may well be why we were interested in him...

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
If you want a new player that is a bang aaverage striker with limited footballing ability then I'd say yes he's like a new signing.

Possibly, his work rate is similar to Barnes and I think CMS is a confidence player and how he performs back from injury will be hugely influenced by his relationship with OG.

With a bit of luck we may have another gem :)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Jury still out as no-one of the newcomers has played enough or at all yet.

Bridcutt is a massive loss though (when he was fit and willing). Is Ince really on a par?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd did not want to be here anymore, so they have rightly moved on.

Ince signed a new contract, Buckley is still with us.

We have signed a well regarded, versatile midfielder and a quick, versatile, goal scoring forward. We will have to wait and see how they get on. Plus we have added to the development squad.

Are we stronger? Dunno yet - but at least we do not have players still with us that would rather be elsewhere. Plus we have added to our war chest for the summer, or to use on loans if required. And we have several long term injured players nearing fitness.

And [MENTION=19279]Discodoktor[/MENTION], Gus left because his method of getting to the Premier League was to spend, spend, spend, which the club were not prepared to do more than they already had. Even though he had proved that he could get a top 4 finish with a squad that had "hit the ceiling" (which, incidentally, had pushed the ceiling upwards in the last 3 months of the season but suddenly, inexplicably, capitulated to you know who in one game)

Couldn't disagree with a single word of this.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I was amongst his biggest fans until his TV appearance.

What I gathered from that was it was clear there had been an earlier telephone conversation . The club say he had been told it was going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some degree of misunderstanding in the (probably heated) discussion that had taken place. Judging by his reaction I really don't think he was expecting it to be confirmed. While we're talking about conspiracy theories, a more believable one is that the club deliberately timed the release of the statement to coincide with his appearance on TV (whoever sent it would have known he was on the BBC at the time).

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What I gathered from that was it was clear there had been an earlier telephone conversation . The club say he had been told it was going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some degree of misunderstanding in the (probably heated) discussion that had taken place. Judging by his reaction I really don't think he was expecting it to be confirmed. While we're talking about conspiracy theories, a more believable one is that the club deliberately timed the release of the statement to coincide with his appearance on TV (whoever sent it would have known he was on the BBC at the time).

Grassy knoll springs to mind...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Of course the squad has improved.
We have lost: Barnes, El Abd, Crofts
We are now up: CMS, Orlandi, New Dave, Stephens, Hoskins (hopefully) and £3m ish for a player who has contributed the grand total of **** all so far this season.

How are we worse off!? Although arguably we lack some depth at centre back.

But Orlandi and CMS were already in the squad...

I would say of course it hasn't improved.

POLL REQUIRED!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We are now up: CMS, Orlandi, New Dave, Stephens, Hoskins (hopefully) and £3m ish for a player who has contributed the grand total of **** all so far this season.

Quick question, why isn't Bridcutt in the 'we've lost' category?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

We had Orlandi in December (initially returned v Bournemouth in November, but aggravated an injury, returned again December 26 v Charlton (unused sub).

We don't currently have CMS or Hoskins any more than we had them in December. Yeah, they've started training, but CMS only played 25 minutes with the kids in a behind closed doors friendly, and hoskins has just been running and turning for the first time in almost a year. They are still some way off being ready to be in the match day squad. Orlandi has been in the match day squad for over a month, Ulloa for ten games, and both are still trying to find match fitness and form. So, even when they are fit enough to make it into the match day squad, we'll still have to wait a month or more before they're fully up to speed, by which time the season will be over.

We have lost: Barnes, El Abd, Crofts and Bridcutt (and we had Conway and Lita in December and have lost him, too)
We are now up: New Dave, Stephens, Obika, and £3m

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here