Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So.... Has the squad improved?

Feb 14, 2010
If the new forward can finish then we will be a better side. Just read the report against Burnley and match reports ever since Murray went. Its a goal scorer, a bloke who can calmly finish, that is what the side needs.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The trouble with not investing sufficiently in the January transfer window and selling key players is the following summer you can then have disillusioned out of contract players. I'd be very surprised if Kuszchak were to renew his contract and there will be more. The end result is the squad requires further investment which the club is unable or prepared to make. This will ultimately lead to the recruitment of cheaper players of an inferior standard. Coupled with no longer having a manager with super human powers of persuasion and things will start getting extremely difficult. Crowds will dwindle and things will get progressively harder. It won't be long before we're staring relegation in the face in front of 6000 die hards wondering when the glory days will return

So, according to you, TK not renewing his contract = return to the same amount of fans we had watching us at the league's worst stadium in the 4th tier. You're a glass half empty chap aren't you.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can I just ask if we replaced those 4 players with the three you mention, who did we replace Bridge, Dobbie, Hammond, Noone and Vicente with, who were also in that seasons squad at sometime

Bridge - Ward counts as a bridge replacement plus chicken proved he can cover

Dobbie - didn't play enough to be replaced

Hammond - ince and the re emergence of crofts covered this + Jfc stepping up

Noonee - can't remember but didn't we sign someone day he went ? March looks to be stepping up anyway

Vicente - class player but a luxery who couldn't be depended on , didn't require replacing

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can I just ask if we replaced those 4 players with the three you mention, who did we replace Bridge, Dobbie, Hammond, Noone and Vicente with, who were also in that seasons squad at sometime

Chicksen was the direct replacement for Painter; Ward for Bridge. As for Dobbie, he was the replacement for the CMS transfer that never happened, so always surplus to requirements.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Chicksen was the direct replacement for Painter; Ward for Bridge. As for Dobbie, he was the replacement for the CMS transfer that never happened, so always surplus to requirements.

Ok and in your mind we replaced Hammond Noone and Vicente with whom?
Don't say Agustien and Andrews as the post I was replying to had already stated thse replaced Dicker, Harley and Agdestein and neither Agustein or Andrews are good enough to replace two players in my mind.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Lopez replaced Noone, Andrews replaced Hammond.
Moot point for who replaced Vicente given he has effectively retired. Likewise if Bridge had stayed. (Injured all season at Reading).
The 25 player first team squad is overall on feb 14 stronger in my view than feb 13. Just.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ok and in your mind we replaced Hammond Noone and Vicente with whom?
Don't say Agustien and Andrews as the post I was replying to had already stated thse replaced Dicker, Harley and Agdestein and neither Agustein or Andrews are good enough to replace two players in my mind.

Vicente hardly played last year. Noone was one of 3 pacy tricky wingers that we had, so it would have been hard to turn down the 1.5m for a player not normally in our starting XI, and he was arguably replaced by Orlandi and/or Spanish Dave in that Window. As for Hammond, he was only on loan, and Ince and Crofts are better players.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Lopez replaced Noone, Andrews replaced Hammond.
Moot point for who replaced Vicente given he has effectively retired. Likewise if Bridge had stayed. (Injured all season at Reading).
The 25 player first team squad is overall on feb 14 stronger in my view than feb 13. Just.

Hold on you already claimed Andrews was brought in to replace any of these: Painter, Dicker, Harley, Adgenstein

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Vicente hardly played last year. Noone was one of 3 pacy tricky wingers that we had, so it would have been hard to turn down the 1.5m for a player not normally in our starting XI, and he was arguably replaced by Orlandi and/or Spanish Dave in that Window. As for Hammond, he was only on loan, and Ince and Crofts are better players.

Orlandi and Lopez signed for the club before Noone left so neither were his replacement.

Edit apology, Noone left in the summer 2012 when both Lopez and Orlandi joined, so possibly one replaced him but not both.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Hold on you already claimed Andrews was brought in to replace any of these: Painter, Dicker, Harley, Adgenstein
Lopez was signed in 2012 and Noone left in 2013 so how could Lopez possibly a replacement for Noone

You're out numbered. I'd give up if I was you. Some people are glass half full, some are glass are half empty. Only problem with it is that the optimistic ones have to tell the pessimists why you're so wrong all of the time. The squad is maybe stronger, the first 11 is weaker IMO.

Feb 14, 2010
You're out numbered. I'd give up if I was you. Some people are glass half full, some are glass are half empty. Only problem with it is that the optimistic ones have to tell the pessimists why you're so wrong all of the time. The squad is maybe stronger, the first 11 is weaker IMO.

Im rarely described as half full. Just look at it logically. Bridcut not played all season. Barnes couldnt score goals and we have a new forward. Adam E A, well, good bloke but no major loss. So we are about the same and maybe better off if the new forward can score goals

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Lopez was signed in 2012 and Noone left in 2013 so how could Lopez possibly a replacement for Noone

Noone signed for Cardiff in the August 2012 window. Orlandi signed on the very last day of that window, and Lopez signed the day after. Check your facts.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Im rarely described as half full. Just look at it logically. Bridcut not played all season. Barnes couldnt score goals and we have a new forward. Adam E A, well, good bloke but no major loss. So we are about the same and maybe better off if the new forward can score goals

What's to say Rodriguez will score
El-Abd played a string of games when Greer was injured, surely if Dunk was better he would have played
No matter which you spin it Crofts and Bridcutt are no longer in our midfield, though I'm glad we've brought in Stephens
Pound for pound the squad has less depth, could be remedied by some more loan signings though.

Feb 14, 2010
What's to say Rodriguez will score
El-Abd played a string of games when Greer was injured, surely if Dunk was better he would have played
No matter which you spin it Crofts and Bridcutt are no longer in our midfield, though I'm glad we've brought in Stephens
Pound for pound the squad has less depth, could be remedied by some more loan signings though.

Are you on a wind up.

I said if the new forward scores goals then we are better off, if he doesnt then we are no worse off. Crofts is injured and they have tried to replace him, what more could they do and Bridcut has been out all season anyway and so we are no worse off.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Players who were with us last season AND this season:

Ankergren
Barker
Brezovan
Bruno
Buckley
Calderon
Crofts
David Lopez
Dickenson
Dunk
Forster-Caskey
Greer
Hoskins
Ince
Kuszczak
Lualua
Mackail-Smith
March
Orlandi
Ulloa
Upson

Players who were with us at any point last season, but are not with us now:

Agdestein
Barnes
Bridge
Dicker
Dobbie
El Abd
Hammond
Harley
Noone
Oatway
Painter
Vicente

Kasim (unused)
Sampayo (unused)
Sparrow (unused)
Vincelot (unused)

Players who weren't with us last season*, but are with us now:

Agustien
Andrews
Chicksen
David Rodriguez
Maksimenko
Obika
Stephens
Walton
Ward

Richards (unused)

*Some of the youth players may have been with us last season, but were not given a squad number that I am aware of and never featured in a match day squad.

Not listed Conway, Lita - not with us last season, not with us now.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
of course what really matters is whether we have improved compared to our rivals. If we have improved but they have improved more then......

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Are you on a wind up.

I said if the new forward scores goals then we are better off, if he doesnt then we are no worse off. Crofts is injured and they have tried to replace him, what more could they do and Bridcut has been out all season anyway and so we are no worse off.

Not on a wind up, I just have a different opinion. Obviously I'm hopefull that Rodriguez hits the ground running and scores because goals are what we desperately need,if he doesn't it won't look so clever shipping Barnes out . No need to get wound up, we just see it differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here