Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So.... Has the squad improved?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Strange how everyone is ignoring my question. Most people on here only seem to have hindsight.

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009
No.....it is the turmoil and instability that he left in his wake with fictitious live TV sackings and court threats that has us on the back foot, we would have been cruising into a strong season had he not done whatever he did to engineer a move to a prem team.....simple.

This

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The OP's question is quite clear, is the squad stronger. The obvious answer is no. It's not should we have sold this player or that player has such and such a contract length or so and so is coming back from injury. We sold a solid Championship striker, replaced with a loanee and took a gamble on a Spaniard that hasn't played for a while, we sold a solid centre back and didn't replace him, we sold our best central midfielder from the previous years and c replaced him with Charltons best midfielder so no argument there. All in all the squad hasn't been improved, it's not significantly weaker but there are still areas of fragility.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good argument. He added so much to the squad we sold him

But you still don't comment as to who would have played up front in the absence of Ulloa, CMS and Hoskins?

Apologies. You are correct of course. If Barnes added to the squad, and didn't have a bad game for us this season, what do you reckon was behind the decision to sell him?

I would say that Barnes very rarely had a bad game for us but equally very rarely had a great game. As others have stated, we valued his services at x and he probably valued them at 2x and as he wouldn't sign a contract his fate was sealed and he's gone north to sit on the bench at Turf Moor. Fact remains, we had no other strikers to play!!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Goalkeepers, still the same

Full Backs, pretty much still the same, would have liked to have seen a new RB though as I still don't rate Calderon or Bruno defensively, hopefully we can sign Ward perm for the left.

Centre Backs, definitely weaker, very light, needed a new CB for sure, not yet convinced by Dunk.

Centre Mid, weaker with the loss of Crofts but at least he'll be back, I don't think we'll notice Bridcutt going so much with the emergence of the potentially better Ince.

Wingers, happy with LuaLua if, and it's a big if, he can stay a bit fitter, more worried about the right side, Buckley has done nothing for a long time, hopefully March can step up or it'll become obvious we should have signed a right winger.

Srikers, Hopefully Ulloa can get fit and back to how he once was, I think this position has improved with the loss of Barnes and the signing of Rodriguez, he looks pacey and looks like he can finish, could be a great pairing if ever played together and hopefully Obika can settle in properly soon too.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Is the 'who should we have played instead of Barnes' a serious question? I would say the people who are asking it don't appear to know how football operates

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't think it's improved but with the top two out of sight, did it really make sense to push the boat out in January? Much better to have a strong budget in the summer. The only departure that really bothers me is Barnes as I've no idea whether Dave the Second will be any good. I hoped the Bridcutt money would allow us to beef up the attack but if no-one's available at the right price then so be it. I'm pleased we hve a strategy rather than take the Forest approach (or Palace in the summer) of collecting players like Panini stickers and hoping some succeed.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We've spent sensibly and improved the squad from this time last year. Here's why.

http://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/why-we-spent-sensibly-and-the-squad-is-stronger/

That's not going to go down well with the moaners who are working out how to rip up their card.

Truth is our team is strengthening by the week with our squad getting back to fitness. Stephens and Rodriguez are unknowns, but Charlton weren't happy to let him go. As for El Abd, he'll get replaced in the loan window, no question.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13

Full Backs, pretty much still the same, would have liked to have seen a new RB though as I still don't rate Calderon or Bruno defensively, hopefully we can sign Ward perm for the left.

Centre Backs, definitely weaker, very light, needed a new CB for sure, not yet convinced by Dunk.

Centre Mid, weaker with the loss of Crofts but at least he'll be back, I don't think we'll notice Bridcutt going so much with the emergence of the potentially better Ince.

Wingers, happy with LuaLua if, and it's a big if, he can stay a bit fitter, more worried about the right side, Buckley has done nothing for a long time, hopefully March can step up or it'll become obvious we should have signed a right winger.

Srikers, Hopefully Ulloa can get fit and back to how he once was, I think this position has improved with the loss of Barnes and the signing of Rodriguez, he looks pacey and looks like he can finish, could be a great pairing if ever played together and hopefully Obika can settle in properly soon too.

Spot on: March is the future and a terrific prospect

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I agree. Except maybe I can't really see Obika making any impact, but hope I'm wrong on that one.

Feb 14, 2010
If the new forward can finish then yes. Its been our finishing for years that has been the problem, ever since Poyet spend £2.5 Million on CMS instead of keeping Murray, who then scored 30 goals and got Palace promoted.Poyet created a superb midfield but many of us said Murray was quality but Poyet got that wrong big time. Barnes has gone who like CMS was in the mould of running around but couldnt finish chances. Look at Burnley away the other night, the match report sums up the Albion, we missed 4/5 clear chances so if the Spanish forward can finish then we will be a better side

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't think it's improved but with the top two out of sight, did it really make sense to push the boat out in January? Much better to have a strong budget in the summer. The only departure that really bothers me is Barnes as I've no idea whether Dave the Second will be any good. I hoped the Bridcutt money would allow us to beef up the attack but if no-one's available at the right price then so be it. I'm pleased we hve a strategy rather than take the Forest approach (or Palace in the summer) of collecting players like Panini stickers and hoping some succeed.

My concern is that we are close to the play offs now, possibly 1 more player could have bolstered the squad and given us a shot at consolidating a play off place. If Kusczcack,Upson,Lopez,Orlandi,Ankergren,Brezovan and Hoskins leave in the summer when their contracts expire our squad is going to be threadbare, especially as Ward,Andrews and Obika will be gone and possibly Rodriguez too. That will leave us needing massive investment to put together a solid team again. It will really take some work for Oscar to get us in a position like we are now after rebuilding a squad.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
My concern is that we are close to the play offs now, possibly 1 more player could have bolstered the squad and given us a shot at consolidating a play off place. If Kusczcack,Upson,Lopez,Orlandi,Ankergren,Brezovan and Hoskins leave in the summer when their contracts expire our squad is going to be threadbare, especially as Ward,Andrews and Obika will be gone and possibly Rodriguez too. That will leave us needing massive investment to put together a solid team again. It will really take some work for Oscar to get us in a position like we are now after rebuilding a squad.

I know what you mean but which one player would guarantee that? I think we still have a good shot at the play-offs anyway as long as Buckley and Kaz stay fit. That's a big 'if' but so is the wholesale destruction of the side in the summer. I'll worry about hat if it happens... Not all of the players you list will leave. Taking it even further, with so many players who could depart, not gambling all our money now on the outside prospect of promotion is perhaps even more sensible.

The last time we did that as I understand it was when we reached the Play-Off Final in 1991 and the financial repercussions helped the club into a downward spiral. Lesson learned perhaps for TB via uncle Ray.

I share your disappointment with the dealings but suppose I fundamentally trust the owner to safeguard the club's future.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We've spent sensibly and improved the squad from this time last year. Here's why.

http://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/why-we-spent-sensibly-and-the-squad-is-stronger/

There are a few flaws in that nicely written piece though. Claiming Adam hasn't played much and that CB's don't get injured very often is a strange one seeing as he played about 6 games back to back because Greer was indeed injured. The article also suggests that wingers do succumb to injury, which is true, that very statement makes the idea to NOT sign a winger even more bizarre. There are strong arguments for the squad being stronger than last seasons, which in areas I'd agree it is i.e Chicksen>Painter and Kemy>Dicker. But the area where we are struggling to pose a threat is on the wings. Buckley has been a shadow of himself whilst Kaz has been impressive, we have of course got March but Oscar seems a little reserved about using him. Last year Bridge did a lot of attacking down the lefy flank, Ward seems to get a nose bleed if he crosses the half way line, we need to compensate for this by using a further winger/attacker to cause a threat down the left, otherwise we're all too predictable as we trundle down the left time and time again.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
IMO

Goalkeepers, same

Full Backs, same

Centre Backs, weaker. Lost the experience and seniority of el abd, dunk has lost form from his early days and according to aspinall dunk is someone who will switch off at least once a game (that's not something I've noticed, but shortly after saying that he lost his man and vale equalised). Alternatives, should we need them, are playing out of position.

Centre Mid, lost the championship promotion and premier league experience of an in form crofts, we've lost the player of the past two seasons though underperforming bridcutt. On December we've gained dale Stephens, who doesn't have crofts experience, but isn't new to the championship. Potentially could fit into our system well. On last season we have Ince who has been a revelation, agustien who is still fitting in and getting to proper fitness and Andrews who seems a bit hit and miss.

If Andrews can find consistency, if agustien can find fitness and form, and if Stephens fits in as well as we hope, it could be about the same.

Wingers, Buckley and lualua both seem unable to play regularly without getting injured, but that is no different to any point in the last couple of seasons. Conway was a regular option to play wide, and we didn't get him back, nor did we get anyone to take his place. While is think Lopez is performing better than most fans give him credit for, he is still not at his best. March has shown some promise, but is young and shouldn't be relied on or expected to star in every game. I would say the loss of Conway, drop in lopez's form and orlandi still getting back to fitness is balance by march's emergence, so would say this is probably the same.

Srikers ulloa is off form. Barnes is gone. Cms and Hoskins are still a long way off being ready to start a game, let alone find match fitness and then form (ulloa and orlandi have been back for around ten games and are still not there). Obika has replaced Lita as the guy on the bench who seems to be making up the numbers. Will be interesting to see if he is still there with Rodriguez coming in (Lita disappeared when ulloa returned). This really comes down to whether or not ulloa can find his form again, and how well David Rodriguez does, but early word seems to be he needs to be given time as he hasn't played much recently, which is a mild concern. If Rodriguez can settle and is as good or better than Barnes and ulloa can find form this will be much the same, if not, this will be weaker.

Of course, we also need to remember the loan window opens, so further strengthening may occur.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here