Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Even Poyet thinks we sold Bridcutt too cheap

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
£2.5 million is too cheap. Why on earth did we let him go for that? Ridiculous. Love to hear David Burke's response. In all honestly, it's been a pretty dreadful January transfer window for us. It's Burke job to being in decent new players, keep the good ones we have and sell those that want to go at the top price. He seems to have failed on all counts.

We got between 2.5 and 3.5 million, for a player that suited Poyets style of play better than Oscars style of play.
We are in as good (if not better) a position this season than we were at this time last season, without Liam who has spent half the season injured.
Liam went from being the first name on the team sheet, to being a squad player, who was wanted by only one other club/manager.
I think we did a good deal

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
For someone who can only pass the bloody ball sideways or backwards i hope sunderland do the same good riddance liam hope your in the right frame of mind for living nr sunderland or get some blackout blinds. we have got a good deal before a bad apple could turn the rest...poyet f.u

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't know if it is a touch of arrogance, or people getting above their station, I think some have got carried away with LB's valuation compared with a few weeks ago.

For reference, see this thread: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...s)/page8&highlight=How+much+is+Bridcutt+worth

From a brief scan of the responses, most were happy to accept £3m for him, and yet now, he is being hugely undervalued?

We stand to make THREE MILLION POUNDS on a player. One that had his head turned and didn't want to play for us any more, something that became obvious in the appearances he made. After initially thinking it was LB's decision not to play in the last few games, I believe the club may have made the call to protect what was a very valuable asset.

If, as HKFC alludes to, it is closer to £4m, even better.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Good business as others have pointed out. Defensive midfielder that cost us £0, looked out of place in Oscar's preferred formation and wanted out - and he now holds the record for £'s received for an Albion player, doesn't he?
Can't subscribe to the "too cheap" theory myself.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
How the hell do you know that?

First of all, like everyone else on here, you have no idea what we sold him for.

Secondly, again like everyone else on here, including me, you have no real idea of a player's worth. You might think he's worth X million but that's just your largely uninformed opinion, you don't know for sure. And you don't know the ins and the outs of the contract either.

The people who do know are the people who are making the decisions, and I for one trust them to get it right.

They won't get it right every time but they'll get a right a lot more than you and I will, just picking figures out of the air.

This. Total sense

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well Gus has just weakened his hand for next time hasn't he ??? :lolol:

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
We still sell players way too easy and cheap and you see other teams rejecting bigger bids eg 4 million for mccormack at leeds, and we sell at roughly the first offer, we sell like we a small club but we not anymore and we have to be tougher on this as he was on a long term deal, the good thing is that Ince was playing amazing and no way Bridcutt would get in ahead of Ince.
But yes they got a bargain and im very surprised we let him go so cheap to Poyet especially. Thought bloom would have played harder and if we going to progress we have to sell for bigger fees as means we can replace this man with more quality or put money into wages etc etc, but 2.5 million cant buy you much nowadays.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
£2.5 million is too cheap. Why on earth did we let him go for that? Ridiculous. Love to hear David Burke's response. In all honestly, it's been a pretty dreadful January transfer window for us. It's Burke job to being in decent new players, keep the good ones we have and sell those that want to go at the top price. He seems to have failed on all counts.

Another stupid post. We clearly let him go because he wanted to go. If you want to blame anyone, blame Bridcutt for the way he's behaved in January. What did you want? To keep a player who wouldn't play for us for the last three games? If the price was £3 million, he got a fair price given the circumstances. The more I hear about Poyet since he left, the more likely I am to boo him rather than ignore him if/when he comes back. And I was a big fan of his!

In fairness to Burke, I imagine if given that money we would have bought a couple of very good players. For the first time, I'm questioning the club's ambition to achieve promotion and I'm sure it's not Burke's fault, it comes from above.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You'd think he'd say "Bridcutt is a risk at this level, we've probably overpaid, but we'll see how we get on" to the local press wouldn't you!?

:lol:

The reaction to this is no different to the reactions to some of the comments Poyet made when he was manager. Completely OTT.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Bridcutt is a defensive midfielder who wanted out.

I think the fee is just about right, and will look better still come the end of the season. Bigger fees are quoted for those who contribute more goals, or who are very young still (Will Hughes for example).

Incredible patience in dealing with some of NSC's finest. You have my respect.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Sorry, I'm sure it's been said before in this thread but are you stupid? He's hardly going to say he was ripped off, is he? I'm sure you've had arguments with others on this thread and stood by your case but this post seriously makes you look a bit dim.

I think it's you that's somewhat deluded. You are completely missing the point. Of course he wasn't going to say he was ripped off, that stands to reason. However given that Poyet knows what they paid the very fact that he used the word 'bargain' suggests that they paid below there own valuation of the player.

If I went to buy a new car and paid the full asking price I wouldn't walk away saying to myself what I bargain I've just had. However, if I'd paid significantly under the odds I'd recognise that as a bargain.

The point is he did make reference to the measly sum they have just paid for arguably our best player. The very fact that he's talking of starting him against Newcastle shows you what high regard he holds him in. Sunderland would have paid more, not necessarily in this window, but they'd have been back.

And don't give me all that old pony about then having a disgruntled player on our hands and a lack of harmony in the dressing room.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We still sell players way too easy and cheap and you see other teams rejecting bigger bids eg 4 million for mccormack at leeds, and we sell at roughly the first offer, we sell like we a small club but we not anymore and we have to be tougher on this as he was on a long term deal, the good thing is that Ince was playing amazing and no way Bridcutt would get in ahead of Ince.
But yes they got a bargain and im very surprised we let him go so cheap to Poyet especially. Thought bloom would have played harder and if we going to progress we have to sell for bigger fees as means we can replace this man with more quality or put money into wages etc etc, but 2.5 million cant buy you much nowadays.

There seem to be a few holes in this:

This wasn't the first bid for him.
McCormick is a striker - they always cost more.
I think negotiating up from c.£2m to in excess of £3m would be considered playing pretty hard.

You say "we have to sell for bigger fees" but this deal was a record transfer for the club. £2.5 million can get you a hell of a lot. Witness the £2m Ulloa's form, up until he got injured.

I don't think GP got a bargain. I think Poyet values Bridcutt a lot higher than anyone else - would explain why there were no other bids for him from any other clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here