Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Even Poyet thinks we sold Bridcutt too cheap

Poyet BOUGHT him and knows that we sold him too cheap. I know poyet is poyet, but he is right, and he obviously knows that liam is worth a lot more than he paid for him otherwise he wouldnt have said it. If he sold bridcutt tomorrow can you imagine him accepting £2.5m? If there is one person i would trust with valuing a player, it would be his former manager.

But my point is, you don't know, and I don't know, and I'm pretty sure nobody who posts on here knows what we sold him for. So we have no idea if we sold him for the right price, too high or too low.

Every buyer wahetever they are buying, always thinks the price they paid is either right, or cheaper than they expected. They wouldn't buy if the price was too high unless it was something they needed urgently and had no choice.

Every seller thinks the price they got was about right, or higher than their valuation. Otherwise they wouldn't sell unless they had to.

That's the way the world works.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Argus reported £3.25m with addons that could take it to £4m.

I am sure we turned down £2.5m early in the window, so not sure what would change to make us accept that.

Cheers, my thoughts too, strange it seems to reported as £2.5m in most places tho'...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Or maybe he genuinely shares the opinion of the majority of Albion supporters that they got him for a ridiculously good price

Not the first time we've have let players leave on the cheap. Bennett springs to mind most recently

We could actually learn a lot from teams like Southampton and dare I say it Palace. Why are they able to hold out for the right price and yet we are incapable?

Bennett, maybe, then again he'd only ever played third division football, so on that basis, £1.5 million doesn't seem too bad to me. How many third division players are sold for over a million quid?

Southampton are in a different league. You're talking about youngsters, kids who are sold at 17, 18, 19 years of age. Anyone good enough to attract the sort of attention their players have been doing at that age commands a huge premium, as was the case with Bale, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Liam Bridcutt, while still approaching his prime, is not a teenager.

If we ever managed to get ourselves a reputation for producing genuinely outstanding (as opposed to just acceptable) youngsters like Southampton do, then sooner or later, other clubs would be offering us that sort of money. Unfortunately, our track record is poor, and thus other clubs simply don't look at us in the same way. Bigger clubs know that Saints players will be well coached, and that the risk level is quite low.

As I've said, I believe the Bridcutt fee to be about £3.25 million, which should eventually rise to £4 million if Sunderland stay up & he keeps playing for Scotland. I really don't see what more you'd expect for a non-goalscoring 24 year old defensive midfielder.

Finally, we got £1.5 million for Adam Virgo once- that must be up there with Barry Fry's dealings over Dwight Gayle as one of the greatest transfer muggings of all time.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
But my point is, you don't know, and I don't know, and I'm pretty sure nobody who posts on here knows what we sold him for. So we have no idea if we sold him for the right price, too high or too low.

Every buyer wahetever they are buying, always thinks the price they paid is either right, or cheaper than they expected. They wouldn't buy if the price was too high unless it was something they needed urgently and had no choice.

Every seller thinks the price they got was about right, or higher than their valuation. Otherwise they wouldn't sell unless they had to.

That's the way the world works.

But poyet DOES know how much he has paid for him, and he thinks it was cheap. I am inclined to agree with him. That is all.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just feels any comment is unnecessary and slightly churlish.

And there, essentially, is Mr Gus Poyet.

Other teams hated him when he was our manager, because of the occasional snide comments he'd chuck in, Mourinho-style, to the press about them. We must have all had moments when we cringed at things he was coming out with, or wished he'd just shut up. Churlish is probably about right.

I can't believe you're surprised.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Poyet is a media whore and will pander and become best friends with whoever has a camera and a microphone

If you removed the name Poyet here you'd have the perfect description of an Albion supporting member of NSC.

Answers on a postcard

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And there, essentially, is Mr Gus Poyet.

Other teams hated him when he was our manager, because of the occasional snide comments he'd chuck in, Mourinho-style, to the press about them. We must have all had moments when we cringed at things he was coming out with, or wished he'd just shut up. Churlish is probably about right.

I can't believe you're surprised.

I think having helped him in his ultimate 'manage a premier team goal', regardless of how he left, out of respect for the fans he would think twice. I'm probably an old romantic, after all we're not Leeds...... :wink:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The Independent reported 3.25mil. I think the early press releases from Sunderland mentioned 2.5mil and thats what most newspapers quoted. The papers are only looking for confirmation from the buying team not the selling one. I'm more inclined to believe the amount quoted by the selling side over the buying one.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Or maybe he genuinely shares the opinion of the majority of Albion supporters that they got him for a ridiculously good price

Not the first time we have let players leave on the cheap. Bennett springs to mind most recently

We could actually learn a lot from teams like Southampton and dare I say it Palace. Why are they able to hold out for the right price and yet we are incapable?

I have as much right to claim to represent the majority view as you but I disagree with you entirely on this issue.
Just goes to show that unsubstantiable sweeping statements may cause arguments but can't win them.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
He's been a total ~rick since he left us , we are partially to blame as we openly sacked him on national tv and that was a total pr fk up but all in all good luck to him he will get found out eventually. I hope we get Sunderland in the next round of the FA cup at the amex that's all I'm saying

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
But why would he mention his price if he thought that he'd paid the right amount? He's got a bargain and he knows it.

He doesn't actually mention the price. The paper mentions £2.5 Million in the opening paragraphs.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I'm starting to think Liam was spoken too by Poyet, or an associate of him, that'll he'll be offered a place at Sunderland. That would explain his 'sulking' and why we were almost forced into selling him. No doubt we could have tried for more (which could explain why he went on the final day) but trying to get more becomes difficult when players sulk.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm starting to think Liam was spoken too by Poyet, or an associate of him, that'll he'll be offered a place at Sunderland. That would explain his 'sulking' and why we were almost forced into selling him. No doubt we could have tried for more (which could explain why he went on the final day) but trying to get more becomes difficult when players sulk.

lol...its called using your imagination

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Regarding the fee, I think the deciding factor about wether he was sold on the cheap, or if it was about the right price, is how many other clubs wanted him, or even put in
a bid for him.
We as fans will be eternally grateful to Liam, he always gave 100%, and was player of the season for two years on the trot. But having the same agent as Gus, and being Gus's baby, then he was always going to go.
Out of 20 Premier League teams, only Gus thinks Sunderland got him on the cheap, the rest weren't even interested.
Cheers Liam and good luck, I think you may need it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here