Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obika, Rodriguez and Stephens...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It just seems to fit so well. It's one thing to be disappointed, and to have hoped for more, but some of the over-reacting is incredible.
What deems it as over reacting though? Was it unreasonable to expect the squad to be stronger rather than weaker, especially as we're (apparently) targeting the play offs? In all honesty it's no more of a reaction than people churning out the Withdean/Goldstone crap.

I'm a little bit pissed, admittedly, and am also pissed off with how this window has panned out.

Let's all talk about how we were signing **** players years ago and how lucky we are. Maybe we could bring up the fact we 'nearly went out of existence' nigh on 20 years ago. Both great excuses for not moving any further forward as a football club.

I'm starting to think Poyet was right; maybe we have hit the ceiling. Call me a 'bedwetter' all you want- it's not as if I want to feel this way, I love feeling optimistic about our future and to dream of Brighton being back in the big time- but I seriously think we are going to begin regressing very soon.

We won't make the play-offs this season, and the fact I now think that way makes me feel ****ing terrible.

Bedwetter - well you did ask.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I'm happy, we have a quality squad already with more players yet to return and have got striker cover sorted now, very happy, just watch us go now, a great 2nd half of he season to come

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Obika and Stephens are signings that could've been made when we were in League One. Such a shame watching clubs like Doncaster and Barnsley sign Sharp and Frimpong yet them two players would be good signings for a club like us.

Frimpong ? He is absolute gash

Would Stephens drop a division

False post mate

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What deems it as over reacting though? Was it unreasonable to expect the squad to be stronger rather than weaker, especially as we're (apparently) targeting the play offs?
I'm not sure the squad is weaker. And who says we're not still going to bring a loan or two in? It looks like the club are trying to stick to a plan, to stick within FFP, and to bring in the right players rather than panic buy. To suggest the club have have no ambition and have given up on the playoffs is bed-wetting. As I've seen others point out, do these idiots really believe that Tony has spent £150m and isn't bothered whether we get to the top division or not? I suspect it means more to him than most of the people on here.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm not sure the squad is weaker. And who says we're not still going to bring a loan or two in? It looks like the club are trying to stick to a plan, to stick within FFP, and to bring in the right players rather than panic buy. To suggest the club have have no ambition and have given up on the playoffs is bed-wetting. As I've seen others point out, do these idiots really believe that Tony has spent £150m and isn't bothered whether we get to the top division or not? I suspect it means more to him than most of the people on here.
It's not though is it, it's voicing an opinion. The problem is the majority of people on here don't like it when folk have a different opinion so have to label them as such, unfortunately on this occasion people have settled with perhaps the most pathetic phrase possible.

I get what the club are doing and I respect they are trying to adhere to the FFP, there is a good argument for the squad being weaker in as much as we have sold 3 players who were competent Championship players, they've been replaced by an established Championship player which I'm pleased about, Rodriguez could be anything from Sandaza to Michu, and Obika doesn't ,on early evidence, look particularly good. I'd say the arrival of the latter 2 signings and not replacing El-Abd has weakened the squad. Hopefully we can secure some loans and add some much needed depth to the defence and wings.

It's not though is it, it's voicing an opinion. The problem is the majority of people on here don't like it when folk have a different opinion so have to label them as such, unfortunately on this occasion people have settled with perhaps the most pathetic phrase possible.

I get what the club are doing and I respect they are trying to adhere to the FFP, there is a good argument for the squad being weaker in as much as we have sold 3 players who were competent Championship players, they've been replaced by an established Championship player which I'm pleased about, Rodriguez could be anything from Sandaza to Michu, and Obika doesn't ,on early evidence, look particularly good. I'd say the arrival of the latter 2 signings and not replacing El-Abd has weakened the squad. Hopefully we can secure some loans and add some much needed depth to the defence and wings.[/QUOT

The trouble is you are getting boring and repetitive with your opinions.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I get what the club are doing and I respect they are trying to adhere to the FFP, there is a good argument for the squad being weaker in as much as we have sold 3 players who were competent Championship players, they've been replaced by an established Championship player which I'm pleased about, Rodriguez could be anything from Sandaza to Michu, and Obika doesn't ,on early evidence, look particularly good. I'd say the arrival of the latter 2 signings and not replacing El-Abd has weakened the squad. Hopefully we can secure some loans and add some much needed depth to the defence and wings.[/QUOT

The trouble is you are getting boring and repetitive with your opinions.

It's just a difference of opinions, that's the point of a forum, people give their opinions. For every post I make you can guarantee there will be 3 or 4 people responding with thier opinion. It's not difficult to comprehend. If you don't like what I'm saying click the ignore button :shrug:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I'm going to try and put a positive spin on things.

Barnes a competent championship footballer no more no less, but missed a lot of good chances and although better this season, you never knew when he was going to blow a fuse and get himself sent off.

Replaced by David Rodrigues, who is supposedly very fast unlike Barnes and has a better goal scoring record than Barnes, better than 1 in 3 I believe, should fit in reasonably well and understand Oscar Garcia's style of football. Possibly a very good signing and has a contract to try and earn.

Bridcutt, a fantastic player in Poyets system, but its a system we are not really using anymore and he didn't want to play for Brighton anymore so best he's gone.

Stephens, most Charlton fans are sad to see him go and some say he was there best player, apparently he has a fantastic eye for creating a chance (isn't that what we've been crying out for?) and also a very good range of passing, Bridcutt was sadly lacking in that department. He has played defensive midfield but I don't think we will use him in that role, Bridcutt had already been replaced by Andrews and/or Ince. Another good signing for me.

El Abd, a steady player but no more than that, competent back up but would never be first choice for either of the centre back roles, Dunk is just as capable of this role and is younger so just might one day be ready and good enough to be one of the first choice centre backs.

Obika jury is still out, yes he's had a lot of loans and no, nobody has signed him permanently but my understanding is that Spurs don't particularly want to sell, they must see something in him, so must Nathan Jones have, if Obika had been so bad at Yeovil or Charlton, I'm sure he would have told Garcia and Burke don't waste your time on him. Might just come good while he's with us.

Monokana, looks a really exciting prospect from what I've seen of him, I think he may just prove to be the winger that so many of you are crying out for, he's not ready yet, needs a little coaching but might not be far off either.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It's just a difference of opinions, that's the point of a forum, people give their opinions. For every post I make you can guarantee there will be 3 or 4 people responding with thier opinion. It's not difficult to comprehend. If you don't like what I'm saying click the ignore button :shrug:

Probably one of the most important opinions are the views of the current players and how they feel about the strengthening.

Bruno was clear he expected the club to bring in players
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10972991.Bruno_concern_as_deadline_day_nears/

And I get the feeling Ward is not impressed with our business.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10980592.Ward__We_ve_got_the_squad_to_cope/

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Probably one of the most important opinions are the views of the current players and how they feel about the strengthening.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10972991.Bruno_concern_as_deadline_day_nears/

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10980592.Ward__We_ve_got_the_squad_to_cope/

Speaks volumes doesn't it. This enhances my concerns that if the players are disillusioned by the clubs efforts they aren't going to want to hang around.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Not good news that the players are feeling let down by our activity in the window. Why would our top players want to stay here when they clearly don't feel that we are progressing on the pitch?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here