Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flower set to quit as England head coach

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why now? England are still out there on tour?

I agree with Flower that the right thing to do was to get back after the tour, reflect calmly and then go from there.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Gooch too please.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I suspect this is true and I also suspect he was going after this series win, lose or draw

When the dust settles on this disasterous tour Andy Flower will be remembered as an very competent coach who got generally good results from an excellent England side in an era when there wasn't much else about globally. I can't help but think that a less risk averse coach might have seen us dominate for a few years rather than compete at the top.

For me he sits in just behind Fletcher in "best coaches we've had." Certainly better than LLoyd or Moores. I'm not sure Giles is the answer going forward....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I suspect this is true and I also suspect he was going after this series win, lose or draw

When the dust settles on this disasterous tour Andy Flower will be remembered as an very competent coach who got generally good results from an excellent England side in an era when there wasn't much else about globally. I can't help but think that a less risk averse coach might have seen us dominate for a few years rather than compete at the top.

For me he sits in just behind Fletcher in "best coaches we've had." Certainly better than LLoyd or Moores. I'm not sure Giles is the answer going forward....

Can't disagree with this. He got us to the top, but failed to develop the kind of game you need to keep yourself there. The team failed to evolve, and when issues like replacing Strauss came up, we seemed incapable of making a decision and sticking with it.

Giles is DEFINITELY NOT the answer. He is a politician. He used his England position when at Warwickshire to encourage players to sign for the county on the basis they'd have a better chance of playing for England. I don't think he has the right credentials, almost feel like he's arselicked his way into this position. I'd rather see a new man who has had nothing to do with the team to date. Lehman is a great example of getting to the heart of a team and turning them around. I'd love to see Vaughan talked out of his media commitments and take the reigns. The finest, most creative attacking captain since Mike Brearley, respected throughout the game.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Can't disagree with this. He got us to the top, but failed to develop the kind of game you need to keep yourself there. The team failed to evolve, and when issues like replacing Strauss came up, we seemed incapable of making a decision and sticking with it.

Giles is DEFINITELY NOT the answer. He is a politician. He used his England position when at Warwickshire to encourage players to sign for the county on the basis they'd have a better chance of playing for England. I don't think he has the right credentials, almost feel like he's arselicked his way into this position. I'd rather see a new man who has had nothing to do with the team to date. Lehman is a great example of getting to the heart of a team and turning them around. I'd love to see Vaughan talked out of his media commitments and take the reigns. The finest, most creative attacking captain since Mike Brearley, respected throughout the game.

Vaughan is the man for me as well. He's separated enough from the players now to not have any favourites/ enemies in there. Does he really want it though?

Sorry, but as a bit of a Warks fan I don't really agree with your criticism of Giles. I do think that it was silly for him to be a selector while he was director of cricket at a county, but at the same time he turned a lot of underperforming county players in a title-winning team. Most of the fringe England players that he tried to attract (Morgan springs to mind) didn't want to come to Warks for financial reasons. Chopra made noises about wanting to play for England when he signed but he hardly tore up trees at Essex, Rankin is probably the only one that really applies to (and again, how close was he to England selection when he arrived?). His other big signing is the Ireland captain - the bowlers they've turned from complete no-marks into fringe national team players (like Chris Wright) and were not performing anything like England players when they arrived. And most of that was probably down to the excellent coaching of Graeme Welch (who is now Derbyshire's director of cricket).

I'm not saying that he's the right man for England (there are probably better, more experienced options available) but I think it's a bit harsh to downplay what he managed at Warks.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Gary Kirsten, Dav Whatmore and Tom Moody have been touted, among others, for the job. But Giles is favourite and that, in my opinion, would be shove English cricket back to the dark days of the 1990s. Even as a player I never warmed to him - even less so as head coach for England. I just don't see him as a dynamic motivator (Lehmann) or a tactical visionary (Flower). Only a plodding yes-man and a perfect fit for the MCC brigade. Safe, predictable and England's ultimate Magnolia appointment.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Gary Kirsten, yes please!!!!
As much as I love Ali cook, I don't think the captaincy role is suited to him.
Would love to see him return as one of the best Test batsmen around, but I think it's time for more aggressive/positive/imaginative tactics.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
It's a shame Flower is going for me. It's clear he has the confidence of most folk. It looks like they are combining all the teams as one again and just having the single head coach. Cricket isn't like football though, the team are more accountable than the management.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here