Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Bricutt transfer saga has pi##ed me right off...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
sounds like Bridcutt's head had gone so we knew we were most likely going to loose him.......i hope sunderland get relegated......disappointing scenario....!!

I've just watched Dale Stevens interview on Player. He said Nathan Jones talked to him a couple of times on the phone. Were we tapping him up at Charlton? If so, it makes us look hypocritical when our assistant manager goes back to his old club for a player.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've just watched Dale Stevens interview on Player. He said Nathan Jones talked to him a couple of times on the phone. Were we tapping him up at Charlton? If so, it makes us look hypocritical when our assistant manager goes back to his old club for a player.

Nice try TB, :lolol: but we treated this deal in confidence, dignity and respect for the club and their fans until the deal was close to being finalised. Bridcutt on the other hand has been publicly targeted since the summer and was put in a position at the start of the transfer window where he couldn’t face the fans, didn’t play, handed in a transfer request and lost focus. Dale played for Charlton three days ago and didn’t sit out the last month.

You cannot compare the deals and the difficulty Oscar has had to put up with for the last month with being constantly questioned on something he is not directly involved with.

As I said nice try though :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nice try TB, :lolol: but we treated this deal in confidence, dignity and respect for the club and their fans until the deal was close to being finalised. Bridcutt on the other hand has been publicly targeted since the summer and was put in a position at the start of the transfer window where he couldn’t face the fans, didn’t play, handed in a transfer request and lost focus. Dale played for Charlton three days ago and didn’t sit out the last month.

You cannot compare the deals and the difficulty Oscar has had to put up with for the last month with being constantly questioned on something he is not directly involved with.

As I said nice try though :thumbsup:

Where has Bridcutt been PUBLICLY targeted by Sunderland?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's a lot of money to pay for an unproven midfielder at the highest level, who doesn't know where the goal is.

Poyet hasn't brought him for scoring goals. He'll use him as he did when he managed us... as the integral player just in front of the defence, as he did so superbly for us, breaking up the opposition's play and pinging a simple pass to get things moving. He'll be very important to the system Poyet will want Sunderland to use. 3 million quid sounds like a bargain to me.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Where have you heard that Jones spoke to Stephens before the clubs had agreed the transfer ? Or that Jones called Stephens rather than the other way around? Quite a lot of mud you are throwing around about this ???

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm confused over all the delay that occurred over this deal - it was reported on the 8th January that Sunderland had bid £2.5M for LB - this apparently was turned down which prompted LB to put in a transfer request - this was turned down.

Today's reports are that a deal has been struck for £2.5M - so why the delay? - was it the club prevaricating or was there some problem with the original bid?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I'm confused over all the delay that occurred over this deal - it was reported on the 8th January that Sunderland had bid £2.5M for LB - this apparently was turned down which prompted LB to put in a transfer request - this was turned down.

Today's reports are that a deal has been struck for £2.5M - so why the delay? - was it the club prevaricating or was there some problem with the original bid?

OR the club wanted a replacement FIRST before letting him leave...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Possibly the offer was solely £2.5M - add-ons and clauses werent included like that have been now. Or a deal has been sorted for a while, but we have delayed it in order to sign a replacement.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
OR the club wanted a replacement FIRST before letting him leave...

Possibly the offer was solely £2.5M - add-ons and clauses werent included like that have been now. Or a deal has been sorted for a while, but we have delayed it in order to sign a replacement.

If it was delayed whilst we sorted out a replacement then that sounds quite reasonable BUT if that is the case then I wouldn't be very happy about the club's PR machine putting the blame on LB for his non-appearance since the initial offer.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If it was delayed whilst we sorted out a replacement then that sounds quite reasonable BUT if that is the case then I wouldn't be very happy about the club's PR machine putting the blame on LB for his non-appearance since the initial offer.

Could really be that he didnt want to play so he didnt get injured - simple as that.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Lot's of reports are saying it is an undisclosed fee and I seem to remember the first offer was less than £2.5m anyway.

The first offer is just about initiating negotiations, not wrapping a player up and sending by Parcel Force for next day delivery.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He was never going to go fot the sums certain posters wanted.

He handed a transfer request in and started to sulk, you lost all the advantage when this happened

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Lot's of reports are saying it is an undisclosed fee and I seem to remember the first offer was less than £2.5m anyway.

The first offer is just about initiating negotiations, not wrapping a player up and sending by Parcel Force for next day delivery.

All very true - still very confusing - initial bid around £2.5M - agreed bid around £2.5M - transfer request made and refused - player reported as unfocused and not selected to play.

Why was all this in the public arena?

The club released the 'news' about LB's frame of mind and results of transfer request - how information about the initial bid became public knowledge is really not clear but would actually advantage us by encouraging competing bids, (that never materialised).

It's the transfer request and its rejection that confuses me - if the club had not refused this request and put LB on the transfer list then it would have saved us the 18 months wages due to the end of his contract, left LB in a better 'frame of mind' to carry on playing and wouldn't have made much, if any, difference to the ultimate transfer deal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good riddance, in the nicest possible way. There was no way back after Gus left and obviously made it clear to Bridcutt that he'd be back for him. time to let go.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All very true - still very confusing - initial bid around £2.5M - agreed bid around £2.5M - transfer request made and refused - player reported as unfocused and not selected to play.

Why was all this in the public arena?

The club released the 'news' about LB's frame of mind and results of transfer request - how information about the initial bid became public knowledge is really not clear but would actually advantage us by encouraging competing bids, (that never materialised).

It's the transfer request and its rejection that confuses me - if the club had not refused this request and put LB on the transfer list then it would have saved us the 18 months wages due to the end of his contract, left LB in a better 'frame of mind' to carry on playing and wouldn't have made much, if any, difference to the ultimate transfer deal.

Initial bid less than £2.5m, final fee considerably higher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here