Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton on Great Train Journeys this coming Fri..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Amazing as it sounds it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Southern - merely locations of interest near the UK railway network.

I do agree it isnt realistic though, where is the delays and the abuse of train companies ?

For the programming to be truly realistic we will also require you to blindly and relentlessly defend the indefensible and claim it is never ever ever ever never ever never Southern's fault.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
For the programming to be truly realistic we will also require you to blindly and relentlessly defend the indefensible and claim it is never ever ever ever never ever never Southern's fault.

They approached me to do it, but since they are using FCC who are atrocious every single day - i just couldnt defend them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you look around locally while waiting for a train, you can sometimes see the little signs of the golden age of railways before they became a mass shunting device for stressed out London commuters. Set in some of the metal work and windows and gratings you still see the old legend " LB,&SCR " before it was all designated with BR or replaced with bland utilitarian glass/metal/concrete.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Isn't he just? I love all those 'Bradshaws' programmes he's done; they've all been surprisingly watchable. However they're all totally unrealistic; hopefully Friday will show a ranting Portillo on Victoria Station shouting "What do you mean the ****ing 18:44's been cancelled? That's the ****ing third time this week! What's the problem this time? Another ****ing power failure in the ****ing Balham area? Or more ****ing congestion caused by a ****ing broken-down train at East Croydon? Or perhaps it's those ****ing poxy signals in the ****ing Three Bridges area? ****ing useless *****!"

:lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The man, the myth, the jackets. Truly brilliant TV shows, every one of them.

I always try and work out how many times he was verbally abused per programme, esp. when it's an episode featuring somewhere that was formerly industrial, as most of them are. "Oi Portillo you Tory c**t!" "F**k it. Take two." Etc etc.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I enjoy each series but my favourite programme was his original rail journey across Spain that told his family's history. In particular the split during the Spanish Civil war when members of his family fought on opposite sides. Secondly why his Father emigrated to England

Before that programme I didn't have much time for Portillo but having seen his background I warmed to him and also noted his potential as a documentary maker, which was obviously spotted by the BBC too. Portillo has certainly created a niche TV role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here