Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland out of the relegation zone.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apart from the Villa game he has won or drawn the games that really matter in the league. Long way to go yet but Sunderland fans must be well pleased with the way it's gone so far.

I will be interested to see if he sticks around should he keep them up.

Why wouldn't he? He made it quite clear he wanted to stay with us a long time until suddenly in early 2013 he seemed to lose all enthusiasm in the job...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why wouldn't he? He made it quite clear he wanted to stay with us a long time until suddenly in early 2013 he seemed to lose all enthusiasm in the job...

Well, whether he might (walk from Sunderland) would depend on WHAT happened to make him 'lose enthusiasm' here, and whether that same thing happened again now.

Let's say, just for argument's sake, that his 'loss of enthusiasm' was down to him finding out that a bigger club was interested in his services, and Bloom turning down his resignation. Well, the same thing could very easily happen, if a club he perceived as a step up for project Gus, had a quiet word with him in the summer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Or WHO.........

Been done a thousand times, but I'm not having it. If Gus was too immature / headstrong to find a way to work alongside people with who he didn't like, that really is his issue. We ALL have to do it.

It'll get trotted out again and again nad again on here, but its an EXCUSE, pure and simple. Gus wanted out. End of story. He might even have convinced himself that his reason was a clash of personalities, blah blah blah, but he engineered his departure because he wanted to progress his career.

Nothing wrong with that. A bit of honesty would have been nice, though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Been done a thousand times, but I'm not having it. If Gus was too immature / headstrong to find a way to work alongside people with who he didn't like, that really is his issue. We ALL have to do it.

Depends what WHO did and whether it would make it unworkable....

Of course I know absolutely nothing. Ciao.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

As I said, I will be interested. His stock will have risen and better jobs may become available, that's it really

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well, whether he might (walk from Sunderland) would depend on WHAT happened to make him 'lose enthusiasm' here, and whether that same thing happened again now.

Let's say, just for argument's sake, that his 'loss of enthusiasm' was down to him finding out that a bigger club was interested in his services, and Bloom turning down his resignation. Well, the same thing could very easily happen, if a club he perceived as a step up for project Gus, had a quiet word with him in the summer.

If 'for argument's sake' any 'loss of enthusiasm' was down to a 'bigger club' approaching him then that would hardly be surprising and of course you are right the same thing could happen again.

What I'm not sure about is whether you raise such a scenario as a criticism of GP? ???

There aren't many of us, I don't suppose, who if head hunted for a more 'attractive' position at a higher salary wouldn't 'lose a bit of enthusiasm' for their current position.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Ok they're not out of the woods just yet but Sunderland's turnaround in form with basically the same squad and despite a run of red cards and injuries is impressive.

At the time I didn't see Sunderland as being on Gus's radar, I really thought he would hold off until a job came up at London club, such as Fulham.

Secondly Sunderland's situation was so dire when he took over that it looked like a lost cause. It was quite a gamble for Gus to put his reputation on the line but equally I guess Sunderland were in such a mess that he couldn't do worse than Di Canio.

I guess that Gus received enough assurances that he would be backed by the Chairman and now seems to be making some shrewd signings, including 3 Argies which worries me that he might just come sniffing around Ulloa.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If 'for argument's sake' any 'loss of enthusiasm' was down to a 'bigger club' approaching him then that would hardly be surprising and of course you are right the same thing could happen again.

What I'm not sure about is whether you raise such a scenario as a criticism of GP? ???

There aren't many of us, I don't suppose, who if head hunted for a more 'attractive' position at a higher salary wouldn't 'lose a bit of enthusiasm' for their current position.

I'm not, as I made perfectly clear in my next post.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I always catch the Sunderland games if I can and I watched tonights one.

They were very good for the first 20 mins until they scored, and then went on the back foot as Stoke started to pull the strings.

Stoke stupidly got a man sent off after a second yellow and were down to 10 men for the last 40 mins but they made it look like Sunderland were the man down until the final whistle.

It was interesting looking at the close ups of the really stressed Sunderland fans as their team hung on desperately to a win instead of taking advantage of their one man advantage. They will only have to endure another 1350 minutes of this.

How many times did we see that

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

There was interest in Gus from other clubs for a long time. Remember how Tano laughed off the interest from Reading? It's pretty obvious why Gus lost enthusiasm...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There was interest in Gus from other clubs for a long time. Remember how Tano laughed off the interest from Reading? It's pretty obvious why Gus lost enthusiasm...

Indeed it is.

Tony wouldn't let him walk away to manage Fulham.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

It'll get trotted out again and again nad again on here, but its an EXCUSE, pure and simple. Gus wanted out. End of story. He might even have convinced himself that his reason was a clash of personalities, blah blah blah, but he engineered his departure because he wanted to progress his career.

Nothing wrong with that. A bit of honesty would have been nice, though.

Not as simple as that, is it? Me, you and all of us here know basically NOTHING about how the club changed internally when Barber came in. Perhaps Gus felt the restrictions that were suddenly placed on him both A> Meant it was a different job to the one he'd agreed to do in the first place and B> Made the job unworkable, in terms of his principles.

We'll never know. Extreme analogy obviously, but if you had a new boss who suddenly was requesting that you worked overtime constantly while taking away all of your job perks, I think you'd possibly lose a bit of enthusiasm for the job, don't you?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Indeed it is.

Tony wouldn't let him walk away to manage Fulham.

And WHY did Gus want to walk away?! We can go round and round in circles all day. He LOVED the job here. That was obvious. Then suddenly he couldn't care less about it. That isn't down to the Reading job. That wouldn't make him suddenly hate a job he loved.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not as simple as that, is it? Me, you and all of us here know basically NOTHING about how the club changed internally when Barber came in. Perhaps Gus felt the restrictions that were suddenly placed on him both A> Meant it was a different job to the one he'd agreed to do in the first place and B> Made the job unworkable, in terms of his principles.

We'll never know. Extreme analogy obviously, but if you had a new boss who suddenly was requesting that you worked overtime constantly while taking away all of your job perks, I think you'd possibly lose a bit of enthusiasm for the job, don't you?

That's not an 'extreme' analogy. Its a SILLY analogy that simply doesn't work.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
I love Gus and am thinking of supporting Sunderland and calling my next dog Gus - a man vilified for having ambition . We do miss him but please stop slagging and move on fella

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here