Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll : Scottish Independence vote and wanting to "Keep The Pound"

Should Scotland be allowed to retain the Pound if they vote YES to independence?

• YES - let's be all neighbourly.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • NO - so long sweaties!!

Votes: 130 87.2%

• Total voters

bridge1314

Mar 7, 2013
I go on here to catch up with all the seagull news. I wasn't expecting there to be a thread on Scottish independence!

The opinions one here are interesting, I didn't know people down here actually cared either way. It will be interesting to see what happens in September. I don't get a vote as I live in Brighton now!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I go on here to catch up with all the seagull news. I wasn't expecting there to be a thread on Scottish independence!

The opinions one here are interesting, I didn't know people down here actually cared either way. It will be interesting to see what happens in September. I don't get a vote as I live in Brighton now!

I care quite a bit. I love Scotland and proposed to my fiance on Skye last May. I think it's a shame that it's become cool to want the Scottish football team to lose and so on, and it'd surely be better if we all supported each other? :shrug:

Cue being called wet!

bridge1314

Mar 7, 2013
Sure, I suppose when you think about it, it does effect people in England. The currency debate and the fact that the tories will win more elections if Scotland is out of the equation.

As for the Scottish national team, I reckon we will qualify for France 2016. Lets be honest if we don't qualify for that one, we might as well just give up! If Strachan can't get us there, then no one can.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

It would also be interesting to hear opinions from the BHAlbas.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think anyone in Scotland does, let alone here. To be honest the ramifications are so complicated, it's hardly surprising. I think the decision is therefore likely to be made on a more ideological basis, which perhaps isn't ideal.

Yep, a bit of face painting & skean dhu waving for the 600th anniversary of Bannockburn, combined with a couple of gold medals in the gentlemen's lawn bowls at the Commonwealth Games will stir up such a wave of national McPride that kilt sales will experience an unprecedented surge & the Aye vote will temporarily soar around late July, I fancy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Scottish people are as tired with mainstream politics as anyone else - but they're not stupid.

Indeed they're not. The Scottish educational system has always been very highly regarded. And Scotland's voters have embraced the SNP, why would they not follow that embrace to its natural conclusion? Could be much closer run thing than many are suggesting.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Does anyone on here understand all the intricacies of financial union v financial independence?

Yes, its simple.

You cannot be truly independent if you do not control your own currency.

In order for an independent country to exercise any level of meaningful control on its destiny, it must be able to influence the performance of its currency.

Those countries in the eurozone have materially deminished their independence by joining the euro and passed that influence to the ECB, and also (dare I say) those in institutions like the unelected EU Commission.

If we ignore the reasons why the PIIGS countries got into the eurozone and how they ended up in the financial cart, it is now evident that they have very little influence on their financial affairs, apart from how much they internally devalue to be more competitive at the behest of those in genuine control, which is the ECB, the EU Commission and ze Germans.

The tragedy is that politicians in those countries cannot offer their electorates any change (or hope) without influencing the ECB or EU Commission and consequently democracy has been thrown into the bin along with independence in those countries all as a direct consequence of having joined the euro.

Even worse is the fact that to resole the problems, deeper integration in the eurozone is required.............which means even less independence and even less deomcracy.

What else do you need to know?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the fact this question is even raised shows how confused the SNP is about the issue. they want independence but stay in the EU (wont happen) and keep the pound and queen. so, thats independence from Westminster, but dependence on Brussels, The City and their head of state will reside in a foreign land. ???

i'm surprised the no is that far ahead

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What happens to Alex Salmond if it was a resounding no to independence?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, its simple.

You cannot be truly independent if you do not control your own currency.

In order for an independent country to exercise any level of meaningful control on its destiny, it must be able to influence the performance of its currency.

Those countries in the eurozone have materially deminished their independence by joining the euro and passed that influence to the ECB, and also (dare I say) those in institutions like the unelected EU Commission.

If we ignore the reasons why the PIIGS countries got into the eurozone and how they ended up in the financial cart, it is now evident that they have very little influence on their financial affairs, apart from how much they internally devalue to be more competitive at the behest of those in genuine control, which is the ECB, the EU Commission and ze Germans.

The tragedy is that politicians in those countries cannot offer their electorates any change (or hope) without influencing the ECB or EU Commission and consequently democracy has been thrown into the bin along with independence in those countries all as a direct consequence of having joined the euro.

Even worse is the fact that to resole the problems, deeper integration in the eurozone is required.............which means even less independence and even less deomcracy.

What else do you need to know?

So what you're saying is - a vote for Scottish independence while it is still tied with Sterling will put Scotland in a similar fiscal position as, say, Germany, France etc. - i.e. nominally independent, but financially tied? Though it will be more independent than these countries as - not being a member of the EU - it will decide all its own laws?

Is that a fair summary?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think Scotland will vote YES for independence but I don't think it's out of the question either.

This is a massive year for Scotland as it hosts the Commonwealth Games, the Ryder Cup and celebrates the 700th anniversary of Bannockburn. This, and the ongoing debate about independence, will accentuate their nationalism. I expect the YES vote to gather momentum over the coming months. The X Factor could be an untimely gaffe by the P.M. or a member of the Royal Family that might put some backs up. And although extremely unlikely, if England won the World Cup I'm sure that would lump another 8-10% on the YES vote.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
When the Greek, Portugese, Spanish and Irish economies were going into freefall 3 or 4 years back the European Central Bank had to put up guarantees of mind blowing proportions to stop the money markets from trashing the euro. Why should the remainder of the UK allow the Scots to use OUR pound when we will be in the same position as the ECB if the Scots f**k up their economy? Which, given their smaller population means increased costs per head, combined with their love of public services and spending, is highly likely to happen.

How did the Scots get a reputation for being tight?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Mel Gibson had made Braveheart based on historical fact rather than Hollywood Celtic whimsy we wouldn't even be having this blasted vote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here