Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley player ratings

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
For my sins i was sitting with the home fans in the battered stand to the right of the away support (which was superb for a shitty tuesday night in january 300 miles away from home) and it has been some time since a referee was quite as clueless as this one, missed some clear yellow cards and clear fouls yet decided to book Ulloa late on due to the crowd.

The booing of kaz for me was basically because there was such little else going on. They were unlucky with the woodwork shots but we really should have won it in the 85th. Reminded me a lot of the wigan away match - soak up the pressure, ride our luck and then nick a win, almost. Ulloa looked sporadically interested in a role Barnes played much more effectively away from home. Upson and Greer were outstanding for me, Bruno had moments of class and moments of idiocy. Ince is still very raw but while not looking terribly pretty was effective. For me no one else really stood out.

Spot on.

Andrews was OK too.

Ahrrrrrrr!!! That ref.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No one has really answered this question. Why does he continue to start games? We do have other options.

Because he's not actually as bad as some people think? Because he does what Oscar asks him to, or does his part of what Oscar asks the team to do? I seen him put in some crosses where the receiving player doesn't do enough to get on the end of it, where Lopez has done all he can, only for fans to moan at him for the pass rather than the receiver for not doing their part. When kaz blasts cross after cross aimlessly across the goal he is praised with attackers being blamed for not seeing it coming since he always does it, when Lopez puts corner after corner toward the near post we get 'lousy corner, never beats the first man'. We all know it's coming, why is none of our players making the run to become the first man? When he lofts them in to the middle or far post and they get cleared he gets criticised for poor corners.

Because he's not actually as bad as some people think? Because he does what Oscar asks him to, or does his part of what Oscar asks the team to do? I seen him put in some crosses where the receiving player doesn't do enough to get on the end of it, where Lopez has done all he can, only for fans to moan at him for the pass rather than the receiver for not doing their part. When kaz blasts cross after cross aimlessly across the goal he is praised with attackers being blamed for not seeing it coming since he always does it, when Lopez puts corner after corner toward the near post we get 'lousy corner, never beats the first man'. We all know it's coming, why is none of our players making the run to become the first man? When he lofts them in to the middle or far post and they get cleared he gets criticised for poor corners.

All comes down to objective employee (ie player) assessment which you're unlikely to get from too many fans. This is a key factor in business management and is what the Albion's coaches and manager (if we had one) do and are paid for.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Is this an assumption on your part ... an assumption that his corners and crosses are great and the problem is that the rest of the team don't read them correctly or are out of position? I think you're at odds with most people on here who are fed up with too many crap corners from him. If he doesn't see a Brighton player on the near post (whether or not one SHOULD be there is irrelevant), then play a longer ball.

Personally I'd rather see Kaz or March in that role. At least Kaz provides bags of entertainment.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is this an assumption on your part ... an assumption that his corners and crosses are great and the problem is that the rest of the team don't read them correctly or are out of position? I think you're at odds with most people on here who are fed up with too many crap corners from him. If he doesn't see a Brighton player on the near post (whether or not one SHOULD be there is irrelevant), then play a longer ball.

Personally I'd rather see Kaz or March in that role. At least Kaz provides bags of entertainment.

How do you go from me saying "I've seen him put in some crosses..." to an assumption that all his crosses are great? My point isn't that all his crosses and corners are great, but that his performances are better than he is given credit for, with SOME of his crosses being good crosses that he is criticised for because the person on the receiving end didn't do their part, if people recognised these as good crosses they wouldn't dismiss him as 'only putting in two decent crosses all season', they would see he puts in at least one or two a game. Is that ideal? No, but it's better than the waste of space why is he in the team evaluation so many give him.

He should only kick them to whee players are when he is kicking them? Have you seen corners before? Players run all over the place, often in prepared runs, one player runs one way to draw a defender away leaving a gap for other players to run into. Other times players hang back to see where the corner is heading and run to meet it. If. We expect our attackers to just stand there and wait for the ball to drop on their head, we might as well just kick the corner out for a goal kick as all a defender has to do is stand in front of the attacker. Movement is an important part of all set plays.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

With corners i'm not sure where he's supposed to put them apart from about a metre sqaure area by the penalty spot (which isn't really practical).
No-one ever makes a run at the far post (making it much easier to clear), no-one over is at the far post, and no-one ever seems to be on the edge of the area for a rebound.They all stand next to each and hardly move

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
How do you go from me saying "I've seen him put in some crosses..." to an assumption that all his crosses are great? My point isn't that all his crosses and corners are great, but that his performances are better than he is given credit for, with SOME of his crosses being good crosses that he is criticised for because the person on the receiving end didn't do their part, if people recognised these as good crosses they wouldn't dismiss him as 'only putting in two decent crosses all season', they would see he puts in at least one or two a game. Is that ideal? No, but it's better than the waste of space why is he in the team evaluation so many give him.

He should only kick them to whee players are when he is kicking them? Have you seen corners before? Players run all over the place, often in prepared runs, one player runs one way to draw a defender away leaving a gap for other players to run into. Other times players hang back to see where the corner is heading and run to meet it. If. We expect our attackers to just stand there and wait for the ball to drop on their head, we might as well just kick the corner out for a goal kick as all a defender has to do is stand in front of the attacker. Movement is an important part of all set plays.

My biggest criticism, I guess, is that most of the time he doesn't vary his corners even when the previous ones haven't produced anything.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Averages - 6 Votes

Starters
Upson 7.83
Andrews 7.67
Greer 7.00
Kuszczak 6.83
Forster-Caskey 6.67
Ince 6.00
Lualua 6.00 (81mins)
Bruno 5.83
Ulloa 5.83
Ward 5.83
David Lopez 3.83 (69mins)

Subs
Orlandi 6.67 (27mins)
March 5.40 (15mins - 5 votes)

Squad Average - 6.26

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
PIG 6: kicking is poor but made one superb save.
Bruno 6: Solid but didn't venture over half way line much.
Ward 5: Couple of errors could have cost us dear.
Greer 7: looked after Vokes well
Upson 7: cooler than a frozen cucumber sandwich
Andrews 8: excellent. Created a good shield in front of the defence
Ince 6: Fought hard but found it difficult
JFC 7: Had a couple of half chances in first half and battled all game
KLL 6: Didn't create much by his standards but stretched them at times
Lopez 4: Very quiet
Ulloa 5: Felt for him, won a fair amount in air against two big defenders but had no support

Subs
Orlandi 6: Silky but missed a good chance
March 5

Lopez 4 Quiet game

Obika 3 despite scoring a goal the other week.???

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Lopez 4 Quiet game

Obika 3 despite scoring a goal the other week.???

Fair comment. Dave did some reasonable things but nothing special throughout the match. Obika did nothing, won no balls in the air, didn't hold up or link with midfield, no lay offs. If he hadn't beaten the keeper on a one on one I would have given him 2.

I'm not saying he is crap, but not suited to the lone striker role, that's all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here